PDA

View Full Version : Strange clunking noise?

gtitim
14-01-09, 05:26 PM
I have a weird clunking noise on my 180 and wonder if any of you guys have come across the same thing?

It happens when i either reverse or when backing off the throttle. You drive along and when you back off or change gear there a clunk from the front somewhere. Not sure what it is, have checked the airbox and its not rattling. I have had the exhaust checked and its not that.

The only thing i haven't checked yet is the airbox in the n/s inner wing, which i know is loose. Just want to figure out what the clunk is and fix it.

I also get the same noise if i engage reverse and ride the clutch if that makes sense??

shroonie29
14-01-09, 07:43 PM
My resonator used to bang a bit in the inner wing when she had one.

Alan.F
14-01-09, 09:44 PM
Engine mounting ?

Zippy Saloon
15-01-09, 03:11 AM
CV joint?

vinny1979
15-01-09, 07:10 AM
tim is it the body in your boot? Give me a bell mate , Im the hero who will fix it

stamford
15-01-09, 07:11 AM
Check all engine and box mounts, sounds like it is torque related, engine moving etc. Check anything else that is connected.

gtitim
16-01-09, 05:49 PM
bizarrely we have fixed this - unbolted engine stabiliser bar, wiggled it, bolted it back up tight and this has cured the clunk. Still have a knackered resonator box to remove, but all in good time.

edited to add - i suppose i ought to thank vinny for his help, although he actually did nothing other than whine alot.