PDA

View Full Version : Are There Any Downhill Riders On Here

Fudgepacker
20-01-09, 05:53 PM
Im Looking For Some More Riders On Here Or If You Know Any Good Down Hill Tracks On Here Please Tell me

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/21083/

videos of some bits in my area

weagie
20-01-09, 08:02 PM
Not near you sorry, used to do a bit of mtb'ing. Bit of everything but loved the downhill and finding ridiculous things to launch off in the local towns and villages. What you riding?

TjP
20-01-09, 08:08 PM
I used to love downhill, though not quite on the same scale as that video! Im very much a novice, and when I finally spashed out on a good bike I went for a Marin trail bike. Its a great jack-of-all-trades bike but I sometimes regret not getting the Scott DH bike that was also for sale at the time, for cheaper.

Not many tracks around my way, only one I know of is called Brechfa and its not very challenging (well, maybe on youre endurance - 2 massive hills to climb).

weagie
20-01-09, 08:14 PM
I started on a full rigid (cant mind the make, and i realise what i've written.lol) then got a gary fisher level betty. Showing my age now but it was a great bike with plenty of travel. just a pity it was a urt design. My last was a GT hardtail with 5" Z1 bombers. used this the great affect in the urban trails! Not many great hills out my old way but we used the old kilpatrick hills. Good mix of trails, some nice and gentle and some right bstards!

Fudgepacker
20-01-09, 09:57 PM
i had one DH bike before my new azonic and it was bomb proof it was like a tank it never had a limit to what you could do but this new ish bike brought back in05 so is a tad bit old cost the same as my car lol but as the mg does such amazing mpg i dont mind driving thinking fortwilliam soon looks like a fair fast run and street riding is amazing to double set of stares

Fudgepacker
20-01-09, 09:59 PM
i like the right bastards got the marzocchi 888 with 200mm of travel and a manitou rear shock that has about 235mm of travel so as long as it has a landing it can be done

Maxxed_Ross
20-01-09, 10:43 PM
I do a bit in the summer months

Got myself a nice Marin B17 hopped up fairly substantially. Looks the part anyway!

weagie
21-01-09, 05:10 PM
I was at the first DH world cup in fort bill, amazing. These guys and girls are truly touched in the head but pure skill with some of the riding. I got sprayed with the gravel off Steve Peats rear wheel as i hung over the berm to get a pic of him. needless to say it didn't turn out. I'm not far from Inerleithin which is meant to be the muts nuts. Christ i wanna new rig now!

grimmy
21-01-09, 05:35 PM
I was at the first DH world cup in fort bill, amazing. These guys and girls are truly touched in the head but pure skill with some of the riding. I got sprayed with the gravel off Steve Peats rear wheel as i hung over the berm to get a pic of him. needless to say it didn't turn out. I'm not far from Inerleithin which is meant to be the muts nuts. Christ i wanna new rig now!
My mate is looking into marshalling that event this year

weagie
21-01-09, 06:30 PM
Cool would love to go back, watching the top riders and just enjoying the huge atmosphere and the scenery

Fudgepacker
21-01-09, 07:33 PM
im look for a new DH Bike this year but they seem to be so much more money looking about 6000 for a good one

Fudgepacker
21-01-09, 08:27 PM
Just started Making Our Second Video Should Be Done In A Few Months ill try and get some good crashes in they show your riding to the extreme or you just cant ride

weagie
21-01-09, 08:48 PM
If you dont fall off your not trying hard enough! I've done plenty of that, still got the scars and dent to prove it. Yeah need more vids. the first one was good. Things have gotten bit more nuts since i was riding. We didnt have jumps set up just found what we could and whent for it. More free ride style. Damn i need a bike! Who started this???lol

Fudgepacker
21-01-09, 08:51 PM
Me i love the dh side of things i love to huck of things were building a road gap tomorow ill try and get some videos last time we made one we were jumping near 20ft in distance and about 13 ft in the air was scary

Fudgepacker
21-01-09, 08:56 PM
what ever you do dont sell your car to get a new bike

weagie
21-01-09, 08:56 PM
Nice, good to see that. Is that your rig at the start of the vid? I noticed the mono 6ti disks. They look the nuts. I ran enduro 4's when they came out and they where brilliant. Must admit tho to start with i did nearly launch myself through a hedge while getting used to em. Whent from LX V's to disks, just a slight difference!

Fudgepacker
21-01-09, 09:00 PM
6 pot mono ti's with EBC red pads really really bad idea wont be using them again fell off my bike wearing shorts had a nice disk burn on the back of my leg lookg amazing tho hurt like ****

Fudgepacker
21-01-09, 09:07 PM
but they are amazing when it comes to stoping just have to lean off the back of the bike or you got free flying lessons

weagie
21-01-09, 09:08 PM
singed gravel rash, nice one!!lol The zed stays, not enough 120's on here as it is mate!

Fudgepacker
21-01-09, 09:11 PM
is your sed a 120 to so is mine

weagie
21-01-09, 09:12 PM
Canny beat the ol K -series!

grimmy
21-01-09, 09:15 PM
Canny beat the ol K -series!
yes you can you add two cylinders:happy2:

Fudgepacker
21-01-09, 09:17 PM

:chop:

weagie
21-01-09, 09:18 PM

Ponce. lol

Fudgepacker
21-01-09, 09:21 PM
and say goooooooood by to the good mpg's

grimmy
21-01-09, 09:22 PM
:chop:
need to catch me first:yucky:
Ponce. lol
fast ponce i think you will find:clap2:

Fudgepacker
21-01-09, 09:27 PM
yeah but you will have to fill up after 10 miles

weagie
21-01-09, 09:31 PM
I reckon the 120 might get a wee edge on the twisty roads, less weight on the front.

grimmy
21-01-09, 09:34 PM
yeah but you will have to fill up after 10 miles
Now thats harsh it's more like 100:p
I reckon the 120 might get a wee edge on the twisty roads, less weight on the front.is that cause you are more than a bit
less rotund than i am:jump:

weagie
21-01-09, 09:36 PM
is that cause you are more than a bit
less rotund than i am:jump:
Eh "rotund"?

Fudgepacker
21-01-09, 10:08 PM
in other words i think he is saying he is More round in the waste than you im im right

grimmy
22-01-09, 09:56 AM
This is very true, steak pie's and beer seem to be the problem at the moment.

Fudgepacker
22-01-09, 12:00 PM
lol i know that problem but i can eat loads and not gain any weight but hay

Fudgepacker
22-01-09, 12:01 PM
the the dh bike 50LBs so it keeps me fit

markoos08
22-01-09, 02:24 PM
As Grimmy said I am looking into maybe volunteering this year.Here's a link for anyone interested-
http://www.fortwilliamworldcup.co.uk/fwwc_home.html
Not so much into the downhill,more XC here,on a Saracen Tufftrax rigid-just don't have the funds for a new bike,much as I would love one.

dave87
22-01-09, 02:37 PM
ok so last summer i got into the whole mountaining biking thing and bought a Cube AMS 125. I dont really know much of the scene though and have just been going around the fields and stuff around where I live.

Downhill sorta scares me a bit but I am looking for advice for a beginner with quite a high level of fitness

TjP
22-01-09, 02:58 PM
^ Similar sort of bike to what I have, though mines older!

I'd say you just need to find some tracks and have a go. Learn by doing :D You may already be doing this but I always used to find it helpful to practice tricks a bit too - bunnyhopping, for example. I was just doing this outside my house and it allows you to do so much more on the track! Not that I ever went very extreme, but I had some fun :)

All this talk is motivating me to get my bike out of the shed, maybe tomorrow since Im about to start work until after dark!

Fudgepacker
22-01-09, 03:06 PM
if your after cheap bikes look on moutain bike forums or chainreactioncycles.com i get most my stuff of there

TjP
22-01-09, 05:45 PM
This is what I need!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23626

Hvent a clue what size I am though, might head down to the place I bought my Marin from and have a browse :D

weagie
23-01-09, 04:27 PM
I started the same. somewhere quiet and flat. sounds boring but once you've got the bunny hop and the track stand ( i found this usefull) dialled youll start looking at new ways to tackle the terrain your on. just keep the saddle right down while yo practice tho, it can hurt if you know what i mean!

Fudgepacker
23-01-09, 07:42 PM
sounds pricy but i found the more expensive helmet you buy the safer you are ive smashed helmets of my head when ive hit trees and when i had some cheap **** helmet i sufferd servire concussion and had to spend 3 days in hospital not going down that root again was doing a DH run come of a drop landed short and got bucked of the bike over the bars hit my head in stones and woke up in hospital

weagie
23-01-09, 07:59 PM
Nice oak planted me in hospital for two days, got a nice dent in me head for the privilege. Not wearing a lid at the time, not a mistake i'd make again.

Fudgepacker
25-01-09, 07:09 PM
thought id go out on the rig tomorow found a small problem well works how to be a massive problem the rear shock has a remote piggyback damping reservoir and its not holding its air so it should hold 175psi in this little chambre so when i do huge drops it will stop it bottoming out and ive looked for a new on for my bike and well its not looking good £300 +

weagie
25-01-09, 07:11 PM
ouch! What make of shock is it?

Fudgepacker
25-01-09, 07:24 PM
manitou

rakester
25-01-09, 07:25 PM
Everything manitou makes leaks, common problem :(

weagie
25-01-09, 07:29 PM
if its not holding its air then there must be a blown seal somewhere unless youve cracked it somehow. i'd get a decent bikeshop to check it before splashing the cash. Mind you i tried the 5th element shock when it came out, it was on my mates santa cruz bullit. very impressive but then the whole rig was outstanding.

rakester
25-01-09, 07:33 PM
I used to ride a bullit, cool bikes

Fudgepacker
25-01-09, 07:35 PM
yeah a service for the rear shock is £100 squid and a new shock with out bushings and a spring is 150

weagie
25-01-09, 07:37 PM
I was well impresed with it but not the price tag for the build. Just over £2500. and the nutter got a bank loan to do it. still it was some machine. All this has me looking but to much choice now. would like to back on a full sus with decent travel but not an anchor.

weagie
25-01-09, 07:38 PM
Still better than a new one if you dont have to.

Fudgepacker
25-01-09, 07:55 PM
might get the new shock for 150 that way at least it can go through some more abuse and it sorta works out the same for a servive

rakester
25-01-09, 07:58 PM
Buy a fox shock, better and tougher :)

Fudgepacker
25-01-09, 08:12 PM
like **** i put the bottom out bumper in the chambre of a road gap and bent the spring plate thank **** the bike got nicked

Fudgepacker
26-01-09, 03:10 PM
all is sorted got the rear shock fixed it was the valve had worn out put a new one pumped back up to 175 psi got my wheels back and now were going to ride some street in the week

Fudgepacker
26-01-09, 06:18 PM
YES the bike is home and now im hoping to go street riding tonight ill try and get some pics of me in action but we cant stay in one spot for long as security turn up really quick and kick us out ill try and do the 8 ft stairs tonight to flat as in clear the whole lot and land to flat looks sick

weagie
27-01-09, 08:01 PM
Stair jumps are great, used to be a a few sets at the old safeway store where i lived (yeah safeway!) Much fun on these, good way of losing skin if it whent tits up tho! lol

Fudgepacker
27-01-09, 09:23 PM
well last night was amazing got some good pics ill upload them as soon as my ait sends them to me i was stupid last night and didnt wear a helmet but as im so Skilled i ding crash (in other words i was ******* lucky)

weagie
28-01-09, 05:01 PM
dogdy stuff not wearing a lid mate, specialy with the sort of riding your doing!

Fudgepacker
28-01-09, 06:28 PM
i have a lot of luck

markoos08
29-01-09, 09:32 AM
i have a lot of luck

Luck runs out...

Fudgepacker
29-01-09, 09:41 AM
maybe

Fudgepacker
04-03-09, 09:33 PM
time to bring the bike back in action i have booked the rest of my holiday off and needed a project so im going to re-paint my frame from matt black to white i have ordered some new wheels and hoping in a few days it will be all good ill update the pics when the beast is on its way and of the stripping off the frame

Fudgepacker
23-03-09, 09:29 PM
yay the bike is done just need some stickers and my god does it look mint in white soon as i get the stickers ill get some pics