PDA

View Full Version : An ‘Engineers report’…

arwilson80
22-01-09, 03:22 PM
It’s come to that time of the year again – my insurance is due for renewal! :(

Have only rang 1 company so far and they asked if there were any modifications, to which I replied yes and proceeded to list them out.

Me: Well there’s an Air Filter…
Insurance woman: OK
Me: …and an ‘oil catch tank’
Insurance woman: What’s that?
Me: *explanation*
Insurance woman: OK, We’ll need an engineers report for that
Me: SS exhaust as the OE one was on back order and couldn’t be got
Insurance woman: We’ll need an engineers report for that too
Me: …and I may change the air filter to an induction kit
Insurance woman: What’s that?
Me: *another explanation*
Insurance woman: And we’ll need an engineers report for that as well.
:rant:

So at that point I asked what an ‘Engineers report’ was… was it just a statement from a garage saying the item was fitted correctly and was told yes.

Me: What happens if I want to do other cosmetic modifications?
Insurance woman: Well you’ll need to ring us first and check we can insure you with them on the policy and you’ll need an engineers report each of them.
:rant: :rant: :rant:

Is this just some stupid N.I. thing of do you guys on the mainland have all this stupidity to deal with too.

I didn’t even tell them I had a VIS motor indicator kit to fit, nor had I a set of HIDs.

chriszs180
22-01-09, 03:44 PM
just got off the phone to greenlight and they were great all my mods covered and my old insurance company wanted £1100 for only half the mods

with greenlight £650 and if i want to add the bigger turbo and the wrap then it will be £25 admin fee....
the only down side is they only cover sound equipment up to £500 and i wanted £1000 but its something i can live with as if someone was to strip my system it would take a long time in the boot as everything is bolted down so even i cant be bothered to get it open and change the boot from the amp as its clipping a bit....
but it should slow down a tealeaf...

as for reports just have to fill it in myself...

try them mate dont know if they cover ni but its worth a try you have to do an online bit first then they get back to you

any way goodluck

Fudgepacker
22-01-09, 03:47 PM
insurance induction kit never told them

arwilson80
22-01-09, 03:59 PM
They do N.I. :)

EDIT: Have sent my details to them. Hopefully they give a good price.

stamford
22-01-09, 09:52 PM
That is absolutely crazy Alan, it must be an N.I. thing then. The only time we require an engineers report is for engine transplants, i.e. bigger engine than the car was registered for. This is to ensure the installation is safe and covers suspension and braking system. No point in plopping a 2ltr turbo in a car set up as a 1.1 with no other mods.

paulmcmillen
22-01-09, 10:39 PM
I take it this is Quinn Direct you are talking about Alan?!

arwilson80
23-01-09, 08:59 AM
I take it this is Quinn Direct you are talking about Alan?!

No... Was through 'Open & Direct'. Quinn haven't asked for an engineers report (yet).

Got a quote through from Greenlight this morning - just over £100 cheaper than Quinn.

RudeDogg1
23-01-09, 09:15 AM
morethan got abit funny with me when i told em i put the xpower backbox on i had to explain to em that it made ****** all power diff otherwise i wouldnt b insured

p_b82
23-01-09, 11:05 AM
i am glad that A-plan go by bhp increases not torque, as with a whole host of parts changed in the engine i am only looking at around 160-170bhp. all for £555 a year with it parked on the road (in the city) and average mileage.

When i renewed this year i informed them of: the atb, the turbo, injectors and intercooler with a like for like replacement of all of then and the increase was only £35 from the renewal :)

my previous insurers (Directline) had a heart attack when i told them of air filter and exhuast upgrade, either triple the cost of my insurance and excess or swap insurer - not a tough choice lol

arwilson80
23-01-09, 11:35 AM
Just checked a few points with them and seems like all is good. :)

NCB is protected, All mods are declared, Mum will be added for nothing, windscreen protection included, and other mods aren't an issue (If i got it to 240BHP they say i'd only pay about another £60 - but i'll never be doing that.).

Anyone had to claim off them yet? That will be the true test. :crazy: