PDA

View Full Version : EML on after fitting HIDs

Craig
25-01-09, 05:59 PM
Had a few problems with the car yesterday. As some of you know, Gemmas pregnant, well the past week she hasnt been too great. She was in hospital thurs nite to Fri morning. On Saturday evening she was heading home and started to feel unwell again and was told to head straight to the hospital again. I was following her, but the car started playing up.

When I started the car, it turned over very slowly, but not like in a dead battery kinda way. Then the EML came on although I noticed no difference when driving.

Then, after about 10 miles, I could feel the brakes pulling, I know I need new rear calipers as they have been sticking. Well after the 10 miles or so, the O/SR disc was glowing red!

I let it cool and managed to free off the caliper and its been ok for the 100+ miles since.

The EML stayed on untill this afternoon and I have tried a few times and all is ok now, strange.

I have never seen the EML come on before and the only thing I can think of thats different was that I fitted my HIDs yesterday, surely this cant effect the EML though?

Thankfully, Gemma got out hospital this afternoon and shes ok now.

Supercharged_Z
25-01-09, 06:01 PM
the engine light wouldnt come on for brakes. so that will be a sticking caliper i should think..

it can reset after a few trys have you got a decat on?

Craig
25-01-09, 06:03 PM
I didnt think it would be the brakes. It did seem funny that it didnt start as normal when the light first came on. Dont have a decat mate.

Supercharged_Z
25-01-09, 06:19 PM
well.. does the car drive as it should now? have you disconected much to fit hids?

Hids wont cause the light to come on, its usually a sensor or coil, etc or misfire.

Craig
25-01-09, 07:01 PM
It has always driven the same mate, whether the light was on or off. I only discon'd the battery to fit the lights. Its a strange one.

arwilson80
25-01-09, 07:37 PM
Interesting...

Misfire won't necessarily put the EML light one either. My little bro has a 'P0301' code (misfire on Cyl 1) at the minute and it's not on.

Some HIDs mess with fault codes - I read it on some of the sites when i was buying mine. Not sure what the cure is though.

carmadbaker
25-01-09, 07:55 PM
out of curiosity craig...how did your HID kit get fitted? was it..
1) directly plug the ballast into the old wiring loom
2) wire the original light connections to a separate relay which then connects to the ballast?

Maxfly
25-01-09, 08:07 PM
i take it you don't even have a blow in your exhaust system, that can sometimes light up the eml?!?!:)

XPCobra
25-01-09, 08:11 PM
eml can sometimes come on with brakes badly binding, the car becomes confused as your using more fuel, but not accelerating ( sorry for pish exlplantion)

If you want craig you can jump round to mine and i'll stick my little code reader on it :)

grimmy
25-01-09, 08:13 PM
Isn't there sometimes a problem with the crankshaft sensor which stops the the car firing properly when it's warm, i remember reading a thread somewhere about it and it also cause the EML to come on cause it was a goosed sensor.

KevG
25-01-09, 09:42 PM
It will all depend what the fault code is, as to why the car behaved in the way it did.

Fudgepacker
25-01-09, 10:18 PM
i found a problem not from fitting lights the ecu lead rubbed on a bit of metal causing my car to have loads of problems have a look at that