PDA

View Full Version : Various questions about the ZS

MikeMant
26-01-09, 03:53 PM
Hi people i have introduced myself to the club and have had some great help so far on what to look for when i go and buy my first ZS

I have a few questions about the ZS (Hopefully i have got the right section) ...

What are the standard speakers like? Will i get a good sound just using a decent head unit?

Can i fit fog lights to the front bumper if it doesnt already have them? Im not too bothered if they work or not i just think they look better with them in Would the blanking plates need to be cut out?

I hear that parts are hard to get hold of and servicing is expensive? is this true? I would have thought that servicing is the same for any car

I have also heard that fitting either a panel filter or induction kit makes the response alot better What would be the best one to fit?

Are the 17 multi spoke alloys easy to get hold of?

I would like my ZS to have the multi spoke 17s on it along with fogs etc but looking at my price range the models that fall into my price range have the 16 alloys and no fogs So i was thinking that i could get hold of these parts and pop them on?

Sorry for the questions Im just doing my research Thanks in advance people

:band:

afcbadam
26-01-09, 04:09 PM
Hi people i have introduced myself to the club and have had some great help so far on what to look for when i go and buy my first ZS

I have a few questions about the ZS (Hopefully i have got the right section) ...

What are the standard speakers like? Will i get a good sound just using a decent head unit? the standard speakers are ok and sound good with a decent head unit but alot better with upgraded speakers

Can i fit fog lights to the front bumper if it doesnt already have them? Im not too bothered if they work or not i just think they look better with them in Would the blanking plates need to be cut out? if lights are present they need to work. its the law and a mot failure
I hear that parts are hard to get hold of and servicing is expensive? is this true? I would have thought that servicing is the same for any car no and no

I have also heard that fitting either a panel filter or induction kit makes the response alot better What would be the best one to fit? either a bme or open cone in the wing imho

Are the 17 multi spoke alloys easy to get hold of? yep

I would like my ZS to have the multi spoke 17s on it along with fogs etc but looking at my price range the models that fall into my price range have the 16 alloys and no fogs So i was thinking that i could get hold of these parts and pop them on? you will get a car with every thing you want on it within your budget

MikeMant
26-01-09, 04:19 PM
Cheers for that mate Didnt realise that about them mot So if i fit them are they easy to wire in and get them working? Will the blanking plates need to be cut out or do they unclip?

afcbadam
26-01-09, 04:26 PM
i think the are held in using the 3 fixings that the fog lights use. unsure how they wire in as mine already has foglights so not needed to do it. i think the loom is already there if so i would imaging its a plug and play job. i may be wrong though

MikeMant
26-01-09, 04:30 PM
i think the are held in using the 3 fixings that the fog lights use. unsure how they wire in as mine already has foglights so not needed to do it. i think the loom is already there if so i would imaging its a plug and play job. i may be wrong though

Cheers mate Hopefully i wont have to hack the bumper to bits to put them in

rbull51
26-01-09, 05:13 PM
I have fitted a k&n cone air filter and it sounds fantastic, looks good under the bonnet aswell!!

RalphG
26-01-09, 05:27 PM
If your car is a Mk1, I have a complete front fog light fitting kit in stock. These are like rocking horse poo. It is listed in our eBay shop.

stamford
26-01-09, 06:52 PM
Front fogs are not MOT tested, so you can have them for show. I only have one at the front as the other is my cold air feed. Come to think of it, my offside fog is also a water reservoir ;)

Maxxed_Ross
26-01-09, 06:54 PM
I've seen an IS200 fail for having one of the fog lights out.... mainly because the guy spent the next hour in the carpark trying to remove them so he could get it re-tested

stamford
26-01-09, 06:59 PM
That's wrong Ross, not saying you mate! But it is not tested, we've had this before when I asked about mine. My zed went through with one fog fitted.

Maxxed_Ross
26-01-09, 07:01 PM
hmm that is strange

stamford
26-01-09, 07:05 PM
Here's the original thread in question. linky (http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3236&highlight=foglights) and the answer :D

afcbadam
26-01-09, 07:07 PM
my mot tester fails a car if a light is present and isnt working.

it says on the mot test site that is will be rejected if its present and not in working order

stamford
26-01-09, 07:17 PM
Front foglights are classed as optional and therefore not tested. Your tester is not testing to the rule book if that's the case.

wilko66
26-01-09, 07:35 PM
Cheers for that mate Didnt realise that about them mot So if i fit them are they easy to wire in and get them working? Will the blanking plates need to be cut out or do they unclip?

if its a mk1 then the blanking plates have to be cut out. the wiring is there just tucked up by the indicators. All you wiil need to get them working is a relay and the switch.

RudeDogg1
26-01-09, 07:53 PM

What are the standard speakers like? Will i get a good sound just using a decent head unit? Ive no complaints but i want to change the rears at some point.

Can i fit fog lights to the front bumper if it doesnt already have them? Im not too bothered if they work or not i just think they look better with them in Would the blanking plates need to be cut out? Yes you can if you can find the parts you need the brackets, rubber gaskets, light units, relay and switch. They are easy to fit u just cut out the blanks the rubber gromits are thye hardest to fit lol, All the connectors are there taped out the way.

I hear that parts are hard to get hold of and servicing is expensive? is this true? I would have thought that servicing is the same for any car. Some parts are hard to get hold of (such as anything to do with the fog lights lol) but not all.

I have also heard that fitting either a panel filter or induction kit makes the response alot better What would be the best one to fit? I used a k&n panel needs no mods then

Are the 17 multi spoke alloys easy to get hold of? yes used are easy to get hold of but if u want new its about 250 a wheel :S ridiculas i know

I would like my ZS to have the multi spoke 17s on it along with fogs etc but looking at my price range the models that fall into my price range have the 16 alloys and no fogs So i was thinking that i could get hold of these parts and pop them on? If you get one of the + models its should have the 17's along with aircon and electric windows.

:band:

MikeMant
26-01-09, 07:53 PM
I have fitted a k&n cone air filter and it sounds fantastic, looks good under the bonnet aswell!!

Do you just have the filter fitted? No exhaust? Sounds like a plan when i get mine

If your car is a Mk1, I have a complete front fog light fitting kit in stock. These are like rocking horse poo. It is listed in our eBay shop.

Link please matey? If they a rare i may buy some now just in case

Front fogs are not MOT tested, so you can have them for show. I only have one at the front as the other is my cold air feed. Come to think of it, my offside fog is also a water reservoir ;)

Now im lost lol

if its a mk1 then the blanking plates have to be cut out. the wiring is there just tucked up by the indicators. All you wiil need to get them working is a relay and the switch.

Damm didnt really wanna hack the bumper up but they look good Do i just plug the switch in?

RudeDogg1
26-01-09, 07:58 PM
Yes you just ease the rear fog light switch out the dash un plug and put the new double one in.

And servicing prices just vary from place to place , its easy enough to do it your self anyway well most of it

wilko66
26-01-09, 08:03 PM
Do you just have the filter fitted? No exhaust? Sounds like a plan when i get mine

Link please matey? If they a rare i may buy some now just in case

Now im lost lol

Damm didnt really wanna hack the bumper up but they look good Do i just plug the switch in?

Its not a too bad to do buddy, there is a mark to follow on the inside of the bumper, and even if you do go off the mark a little the rubber seal that goes around the foglight will cover up any minor mishaps :smartass: as rudedog has said yep the switch plugs in to the same plug as the old one, and the relay just pushes into the under bonnet fuse box. I did mine and it was a piece of cake.

RudeDogg1
26-01-09, 08:06 PM
just use a dremel with a small drill bits drill all along the line then just push the blank out, gice it a lil sand so its not rough and pop the rubber seal on

RalphG
27-01-09, 12:43 PM
Link to fog lamp kit. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-Mk1-front-fog-lamp-kit-BNIB_W0QQitemZ310117503266QQihZ021QQcategoryZ28645 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262 )

MikeMant
27-01-09, 04:00 PM
Its not a too bad to do buddy, there is a mark to follow on the inside of the bumper, and even if you do go off the mark a little the rubber seal that goes around the foglight will cover up any minor mishaps :smartass: as rudedog has said yep the switch plugs in to the same plug as the old one, and the relay just pushes into the under bonnet fuse box. I did mine and it was a piece of cake.

Cheers matey A great help

Link to fog lamp kit. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-Mk1-front-fog-lamp-kit-BNIB_W0QQitemZ310117503266QQihZ021QQcategoryZ28645 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262 )

Ta matey

Righty people say the mg is a rover - obviously it does look similar to one but have heard it shares alot of the honda civic stuff Is this true?

:beer2:

rbull51
27-01-09, 04:56 PM

I have the k&n cone fitted and an x-power back box, all together sounds spot on...

MikeMant
27-01-09, 05:17 PM
I have the k&n cone fitted and an x-power back box, all together sounds spot on...

I have heard of this x power stuff Whats that all about? A tuning company for mg?

grimmy
27-01-09, 05:22 PM
the zs is similar to the rover 45 and 400 which also share a lot of common parts to one of the honda civics,the zs however has a tweaked chassis uprated suspension and steering as well as other cosmetic differences but driving the zs is completley different to driving a 45 two different cars in the end.

MikeMant
27-01-09, 05:34 PM
Cool Well all i can say is that all this info is encouraging me to buy one I CANT WAIT!! lol

I have a wanted thread up in the cars wanted section if anyone can help

Cheers

grimmy
27-01-09, 05:36 PM
Cool Well all i can say is that all this info is encouraging me to buy one I CANT WAIT!! lol

I have a wanted thread up in the cars wanted section if anyone can help

Cheers
Just go into the cars wanted section and start a new thread on what you want in terms of the model colour price. etc

MikeMant
27-01-09, 05:48 PM
Just go into the cars wanted section and start a new thread on what you want in terms of the model colour price. etc

Already have done matey

So whats the x-power stuff about??

Also on my way to work today i took a different route and noticed this

http://closemotorsport.com/

Could come in very handy :bike:

grimmy
27-01-09, 05:51 PM
Already have done matey

So whats the x-power stuff about??

Also on my way to work today i took a different route and noticed this

http://closemotorsport.com/

Could come in very handy :bike:
Xpower was the motorsport and racing side of MG

MikeMant
27-01-09, 05:55 PM
Xpower was the motorsport and racing side of MG

Is there a web site or a place to buy stuff?? As seen / been told the some people have fitted x power exhausts etc

grimmy
27-01-09, 06:23 PM
Is there a web site or a place to buy stuff?? As seen / been told the some people have fitted x power exhausts etc
I think EMS does the xpower back box but there are plenty other options for exhausts and stuff out there as well.As for other mods there are loads of options

rbull51
27-01-09, 06:30 PM
Go onto ebay and type in mg x power and you will get an idea of what x power was / is. As said before there are so many options and extra mods etc it is far to easy to spend toooo much money on your zs!!!

RudeDogg1
27-01-09, 07:06 PM
ebay some time rimmber bros or on sites like this lol

MikeMant
27-01-09, 07:09 PM
Cheers people You are a great help and have moved me even closer to buying a zs

grimmy
27-01-09, 08:14 PM
You are more than weclome mate good to see new people getting and being enthusiastic about what is a cracking and massively underated car.

MikeMant
28-01-09, 03:11 PM
You are more than weclome mate good to see new people getting and being enthusiastic about what is a cracking and massively underated car.

I agree mate The mg is very underated Few friends seem to put them right down I'll be able to be more enthusiastic about them when i get one :bandana:

rbull51
28-01-09, 05:05 PM
You will not be dissapointed when you get one.

p_b82
28-01-09, 05:16 PM
i still get stick from a couple of mates for drving an old rover based on an older civic...

tho they tend to not make as many comments once they have been in it - tho some still do to wind me up.... i try not to bite anymore...

MikeMant
28-01-09, 05:21 PM
You will not be dissapointed when you get one.

Cool :zorro:

i still get stick from a couple of mates for drving an old rover based on an older civic...

tho they tend to not make as many comments once they have been in it - tho some still do to wind me up.... i try not to bite anymore...

Heard they handle great so once ive got mind ill wipe the smirks of my friends faces lol

Alan.F
28-01-09, 07:54 PM
I went to a mate of mine today who drives a golf oil burner he always slagged my 120 off so took my 180 around today and took him out in it :devil: he changed his mind and siad what a superb car it really is.

If you can ride being the butt of jokes when you get one and take the ZS for what it is which is pound for pound the best handling car produced :)

afcbadam
28-01-09, 08:02 PM

i just offer them a simple race. they usually decline my offer then respect the car for what it is. the ones who take me up on the offer (private land of course) and lose respect the car even more

Alan.F
28-01-09, 08:25 PM
i just offer them a simple race. they usually decline my offer then respect the car for what it is. the ones who take me up on the offer (private land of course) and lose respect the car even more

I do the same surprisingly enough not many take me up lol

afcbadam
28-01-09, 08:27 PM
as me and majority of my friends are only 20 there isnt that many fast cars between us so they all bottle it. the fastest excluding mine is my mate ryan's 1.8 corsa sri and i frash that.

MikeMant
28-01-09, 08:31 PM
Same here ive just turned 24 and my mates only have 1.3 to 1.6 cars

p_b82
28-01-09, 09:48 PM
well the one that gives me the most stick drives round in a last gen cavalier.. and before that the gen befre Cav diesel....
but his step dad is fairly well minted so gets to drive his porsche(s) and other toys as and when he fancies it...

Th other mate that pull my leg drives around in a sirrocco with the 1.8 swapped out for the corrado 2.0 16v. We have had a bit of a play before and they were about the same - he had more revs but i had loads more torque.

ah well i know that i love my car and that is all that i care about :D

Maxxed_Ross
29-01-09, 07:18 AM
We all know the only people that rip MG's are people who have never driven one in anger :happy:

Alan.F
29-01-09, 07:38 AM
We all know the only people that rip MG's are people who have never driven one in anger :happy:

How does the scooby compare to the MG m8 i know its a lot quicker but what about handling

stamford
29-01-09, 09:54 AM
It is surprising how many people look at the MG Z range with a look of disdain and still say Rover with a badge on!

I say poor you and I don't even have to try that hard to embaress them :D

Owning a modern day MG is like being a teacher and then commanding some respect. I'm not that bothered as we have one of the best kept secrets don't we! ;)

peterzs
29-01-09, 10:22 AM
Fantastic car, good handling, looks, and colours. Love mine to bits. Keep in the club.:clap::clap::clap:

TjP
29-01-09, 10:26 AM
If our cars are just "old rovers" then its even more embaressing to get beaten by us eh :)

I think most people just jump on the band wagon and adopt the oppinions of their mates. So if one person disses the ZS, another just takes up that opinion cause they know nothing about the car themselves, other than the badge. And then it spreads...

Anyone who knows anything about the ZS usually respects it.

Alan.F
29-01-09, 10:28 AM
It is surprising how many people look at the MG Z range with a look of disdain and still say Rover with a badge on!

Owning a modern day MG is like being a teacher and then commanding some respect. I'm not that bothered as we have one of the best kept secrets don't we! ;)

I posted some pics of mine on a couple of Photography forums i am a member on and some smart arse replied with "Nice Rover LMAO has the headgasket gone yet" what a *****

stamford
29-01-09, 10:59 AM
See, that's my point exactly they are so shallow in their knowledge and know very little. Still, it's their loss and our gain, all we can do is educate the minority as best we can :D

One day it shall be a feature car and become a future classic for the package it offers. We see it today in certain motoring mags, a car from 10-15 years back we all thought was cack, but in reality it was not, it had been tarred with a blinkered view. Only when the blinkers have been removed do people actually look beyond that and soon realise it was a pretty good car after all. Not just a bit of badge engineering as it once was.

p_b82
29-01-09, 11:18 AM
I think it already is a modern classic, but just can't be called that as it is still too young!

I dont ever plan on selling my ZS, i shall keep it going as second car\project when it stops being my daily drive. the only challenge will be what car could i possibly get to replace it....

Only one thing springs to mind... an actual 180 or possibly a large engined 3-series for vast sums of money...

arwilson80
29-01-09, 11:54 AM
The only challenge will be what car could i possibly get to replace it....

Exactly... What is there out in a V6 if you don't rule out anything? Not much TBH. Few BMW's, Vauxhall, Audi and not a lot else.

MikeMant
29-01-09, 04:37 PM
Another question - What type of lights are there for a saloon to fit the rear?? Anything apart from lexus lights??

vinny1979
29-01-09, 04:48 PM
nooooooooo. dont change any of it!!!!

also this is a big no no lol ;)

MikeMant
29-01-09, 04:55 PM
nooooooooo. dont change any of it!!!!

also this is a big no no lol ;)

Lol Was just wondering if there was anything around Im not too sure on the back lights on a saloon and was looking to see if there was something too spruce it up a bit If that makes sense Just a thought :smile1:

vinny1979
29-01-09, 05:00 PM
you sure your looking at the saloon? they are better than the hatchbacklights IMO, one thing that wont win any favours with the haters is bolting tat on lol. but each to their own i guess :)

Maxxed_Ross
29-01-09, 05:01 PM
How does the scooby compare to the MG m8 i know its a lot quicker but what about handling

Not really had a chance to compare the two yet as I've not had it long enough, but it is just as comfortable as both a cruiser and about town

Constantly feels like it wants to snap it's leash and burn a trail of destruction towards the horizon :lttd:

Heard them all before, yawn

there's been a few cars over my time of ownership that thought that, and were shown just how silly they were. Spec R Volvos, RS Audis, lost count of the number of BMW's... great fun!

MikeMant
29-01-09, 06:19 PM
you sure your looking at the saloon? they are better than the hatchbacklights IMO, one thing that wont win any favours with the haters is bolting tat on lol. but each to their own i guess :)

Im not the type to bolt and stick random stuff on cars lol :trampoline:

I didnt know if there where different style lights available BUT i have just got back from morrisons to do some shopping at saw a saloon zs and it looked great :trampoline: Looks better seeing on in the metal lol

vinny1979
29-01-09, 06:44 PM
;)

MikeMant
31-01-09, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the help people

I have a wanted thread up for a zs So if anyone can help out that would be great

I have been possibly offered one but failing that i would like a silver hatch back if anyone knows of one

vinny1979
31-01-09, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the help people

I have a wanted thread up for a zs So if anyone can help out that would be great

I have been possibly offered one but failing that i would like a silver hatch back if anyone knows of one

saloon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeMant
31-01-09, 11:11 AM
saloon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL .........

Also a saloon with the 180 kit and spoiler :whistle:

MikeMant
03-02-09, 07:11 PM
Hopefully i will looking at a zs this sat

One question - When i fit the cd player will i need an adapter / iso lead?? or do they plug straight in?? Its a pioneer headunit

Cheers

grimmy
03-02-09, 07:33 PM
Iso if i remember never had to mess about with mines, but bear in mind the space for cables is rather tight have a look in some of the other threads in the I.C.E section to find some of the ways around it

MikeMant
04-02-09, 02:56 PM
Iso if i remember never had to mess about with mines, but bear in mind the space for cables is rather tight have a look in some of the other threads in the I.C.E section to find some of the ways around it

Will do cheers matey