PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way of fitting the 'AUTO' electric window switch?

rbull51
27-01-09, 04:30 PM
As above, i wanted to fit the front drivers side 'auto' electric window switch from the rover 45 that lets you put the window down as far as you want then let go or all the way down with a click down as apposed to the zs's one touch down switch. I managed to get one and tried to fit it the other day but it wont fit and the connectors are different, also the zs has a 3 pin connector and the r45 a 4 pin type. Is there a way of getting it to fit?
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee9/rbull51/DSCN1462.jpg

michaelb
27-01-09, 05:19 PM
not sure about mk1's but i would've thought the switches and the way they work are the same for both cars after all they shared a production line.

i think the auto writing on the switch was removed on post project drive cars as my dads 2001 45 has it on the switch and my 2005 ZS doesn't but both share the same function.

my mk2 45 and ZS both had this function.

are you sure that yours just isn't working properly??

rbull51
27-01-09, 06:26 PM
Mine works fine but its just annoying when i only want the window down slightly but have to let it go all the way down them put it back up again, i dont like pressing it to go up when it is on its way down to stop it if you see what i mean. i know its a little fussy but there you are!! i thought being from a mk1 45 it would fit straight into a mk1 zs but no....

michaelb
27-01-09, 06:32 PM
Mine works fine but its just annoying when i only want the window down slightly but have to let it go all the way down them put it back up again, i dont like pressing it to go up when it is on its way down to stop it if you see what i mean. i know its a little fussy but there you are!! i thought being from a mk1 45 it would fit straight into a mk1 zs but no....

might depend on the age of the cars......i'm told later mk1's use mk2 wiring.

'i dont like pressing it to go up when it is on its way down to stop it'

that's the way it's supposed to work.......all my mg's or rovers have worked the exactly same way.

vinny1979
27-01-09, 06:32 PM
you used to be able to wire this function in on the passenger sidein the old r8 rovers. my coupe had it done, so i cant see why not! its only a little window ecu , and knowing mg rover itll be the same parts!

talkingcars
27-01-09, 07:42 PM
Mine has the switch as you describe it for the 45.

Maybe you need to get the complete door loom from the 45 to get it to work.

Maxfly
27-01-09, 08:42 PM

easiest way to do that fella, is press and hold switch till it goes down to your desired height then release and it will stop there, one touch only works if you press and release the switch, not hold it for more than 1 sec i think it is:)

afcbadam
27-01-09, 09:00 PM
press it lightly and it doesnt go in to the one touch function. mine i just press and quickly press it up to cancel it if i only want it open a couple of inches

p_b82
28-01-09, 09:51 AM
my mk1 03 plate has the one touch down function.. and i just tap it up to cancel it opening and stop it where i want it.

I get cnofused operating the passenger side where i dont have that option lol

Glen290
28-01-09, 10:06 AM
you dont need to tap it up to cancel it, when its on its way down, press down again to stop at desired position, works on mine...

p_b82
28-01-09, 10:27 AM
hmm really.. either i was being stupid or it did not work when i last tried it... ah well will take a look when i next get in my car and remember to test it :)

Alan.F
28-01-09, 02:44 PM
I put electric windows in my 120 out of a 45 but the switch didnt fit my wiring had to use a mk2 switch, so i enquired with a Ex MG mech i know and from 03 onwards they had the mk2 wiring

rbull51
28-01-09, 05:02 PM
so has the mk2 got the auto switch?? if i managed to buy a mk2 window switch it would be the 'auto' type that i have put in the first picture and it would plug directly into a mk1??? (i have a 2002 52)

Alan.F
28-01-09, 07:41 PM
The mk2 switch is full auto another idea would may to get the door loom from an early 45?