PDA

View Full Version : clutch slip

afcbadam
27-01-09, 07:43 PM
getting a little clutch now and again. always on full acceleration and on drop down. always in 2nd and 3rd. the revs shoot up to 5k and stay there untill your change gear, back off the throttle or pass the 5k mark.

does it sound like the clutch is about to give up? i have herd a few things about the slave cylinder?? poss a bent bracket?

is a master cylinder different to a slave cylinder??

car has done 23,000 by the way

peterzs
27-01-09, 08:18 PM
Hi Adam,

23,000 is no mileage, unless you floor it all the time, I know that there is a conversion for the clutch master and slave but dont know if thats when the clutch wont work getting gears or for when it slips. I can not remember if its on here or on the XPF, Sheddist kit or something like it.

I think the master sits on the bulkhead and takes the first pressure when you push the clutch down and the slave is mounted on the gearbox and actually pushes the clutch plate in (or out) so that you disengage engine from gearbox so you can change gear.

Hope you get it sorted:wave::wave::wave:

afcbadam
27-01-09, 08:26 PM
i think it may be a clutch plate myself. the car is fine to get in to gear so it proberly rules out the cylinders. the car is barly driven (max 100 miles a week and mainly on the motorway) so its not driven hard. its ex rover mg and a older fella owner with full dealer history so i doubt it has ever been driven hard.

when i park it up i have to reverse up a kerb and it sometimes burns, i dont think this is anything to do with it though

Maxfly
27-01-09, 08:36 PM
check you slave and master it is possible some of the moving bits need some lube as mine did this a while ago and some spray grease in the pedal area solved it:)

afcbadam
27-01-09, 08:42 PM
will do. where are they though?

peterzs
27-01-09, 08:45 PM
If you smell it burning your using up the clutch material or putting a polish on it so that could be why its slipping.

Some old boys drive with their foot on the clutch so you could have inherited the problem from him.

Can't you ask the council for a drop kerb, save bumping up and over?

We run new Transits, these are fitted with a dual mass flywheel and if you get them smelling ie backing up a hill, the clutch goes on them. :wave::wave::wave:

afcbadam
27-01-09, 08:48 PM
i must admit i often find my self driving with my foot very slightly resting on the pedal, what is the material im burning, is it on a clutch plate

Maxfly
27-01-09, 08:49 PM
will do. where are they though?

the pedal bit is easy, get your head into the footwell press pedal and lube away, in the engine bay get someone to press clutch for you and attack anything you see moving. look in between the battery and engine and you will see the slave with a couple of moving bits in there:)

afcbadam
27-01-09, 08:55 PM
is wd40 ok?

Maxfly
27-01-09, 09:00 PM
is wd40 ok?

should do fine, it is a bit thin but will help free up everything then if that works go over them again with summat more substantial:)

TjP
27-01-09, 09:01 PM
i must admit i often find my self driving with my foot very slightly resting on the pedal, what is the material im burning, is it on a clutch plate

I sometimes realise Im doing this too. Its a habbit I really want to get rid of, but when Im doing any sort of tense driving I seem to keep my foot poised on the clutch (albeit lightly, just taking up a small amount of freeplay), ready to change gear I guess.

But yeah, you can wear out the clutch by riding the clutch. Ive also been told the bearings cans wear out with inproper use, but I dont know much about that.

No idea if youre problem is related though, at such a low mileage I would be surprised!

arwilson80
28-01-09, 09:12 AM
is wd40 ok?

Use a silicone spray if you can. It provides better lubrication than the WD-40 as it eventually dries and goes sticky.

afcbadam
28-01-09, 04:15 PM
i have a castrol non drying grease but thats in a tub not a spray. would something like that be ok?

XPCobra
28-01-09, 09:03 PM
clutch is gubbed, new clutch kit is £300 also check for oil leaks around bellhousing