PDA

View Full Version : ZSTD economy mode

peterzs
27-01-09, 08:33 PM
I bought the TD for economy 52 mpg, after a few tweaks goes a bit quicker but just checked the mpg and getting ----- 34.4.

Still I'm happy as it now goes like it looks. :mml::mml::mml:

I must admit that I,ve turned down one of the gismoes, so will check mileage next time I fill up. :clap::clap::clap:

afcbadam
27-01-09, 08:45 PM
peter that is low. the zt boys who run the rover ron you have on there often report they are getting more mpg than standard.

is the car smokey on boot. turning it down should improve things

peterzs
27-01-09, 08:47 PM
Hope so :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

stamford
27-01-09, 09:12 PM
I can see you getting a 180 Pete, I really do!

Phate
27-01-09, 09:18 PM
Was gonna say.

Pete stop fannying around and get yourself a bloody 180. Least you won't get laughed at when it comes to sound tests :D

vinny1979
27-01-09, 09:41 PM
muchos respect to the diesel, love it when you cover them in soot, i used to in my " tweaked" 306 d turbo 115 bhp! ha ha ha

peterzs
28-01-09, 09:42 AM
Wait till Santa Pod (along as its not raining on the day) I've got Chris's ST in my sights.
Looking at the site you dont need a helmet unless its an open top, or you go over the finish line at more than 110 mph, dont know how you know that if its your first run though.

Also waiting for the rolling road Dan was arranging in Essex, to see what the bhp is now.

I have been looking at the 180 and its very tempting, getting mpg about the same. Must admit it was up and down the M3 and then the Forest meet, and it was going a lot quicker, He He,:clap2::clap2::clap2:

p_b82
28-01-09, 10:16 AM
I am intreged by the adjustable gizmo, as i was not aware of any that worked on the ZS...

The only reason your economy is suffering is because you are using your new found torque :)

according to my scangauge with the injectors i have i can get it to read 2MPL, or about 9MPG with full throttle used - but if i am sensible and keep the revs below 3K and use part throttle it still returns 45 at 70+10%.

atm it is returning 0mpg as it is in bits at rally matts - dam these suppliers, i want my car back, and when i do it might just be a 180... but a diesel :D

peterzs
28-01-09, 12:21 PM
I am intreged by the adjustable gizmo, as i was not aware of any that worked on the ZS... ////This is the Rover Ron MAF thingy with the adjustable knob on the top, instructions say turn it down to the lowest setting but I went about 75% being greedy for speed. Our Workshop manager brought in some gauges to increase the boost +2 psi (or whatever) as +3 made it knock. He then set the MAF thing to about 33% as he said it was overfuelling.

The only reason your economy is suffering is because you are using your new found torque :) /// Yes if its there use it I reckon.

according to my scangauge with the injectors i have i can get it to read 2MPL, or about 9MPG with full throttle used - but if i am sensible and keep the revs below 3K and use part throttle it still returns 45 at 70+10%. /// My need for speed is purely for Track Day or hopefully Santa Pod RW;YB Sunday, but I can see why the fuel consumption is now like it was!!

atm it is returning 0mpg as it is in bits at rally matts - dam these suppliers, i want my car back, and when i do it might just be a 180... but a diesel :D /// Im sure its in good hands and you will have to let me know if your taking it out on any of the Track Days. Would be fun to see how much more I need to do to my one. Or as I'm advised just buy a 180. :wave::wave::wave:

Phate
28-01-09, 12:29 PM
Just buy a bloody 180

stamford
28-01-09, 12:38 PM
:stupid: :yes: just do it!

peterzs
28-01-09, 12:49 PM
Mick, I,ll put my name down on the list for when you want to sell off yours, I was thinking of Phates but I think its made up of 5 different cars by now. :happy2::happy2::happy2:

stamford
28-01-09, 12:51 PM
Mick, I,ll put my name down on the list for when you want to sell off yours, I was thinking of Phates but I think its made up of 5 different cars by now. :happy2::happy2::happy2:

:laugh: you are in fine form today :D

I'm never selling mine.........................so you are :deadhorse:

peterzs
28-01-09, 12:57 PM
Never say never :beer2::beer2:

dvid
28-01-09, 01:34 PM
Can't go wrong with a 180 ;)

p_b82
28-01-09, 02:26 PM
/// Im sure its in good hands and you will have to let me know if your taking it out on any of the Track Days. Would be fun to see how much more I need to do to my one. Or as I'm advised just buy a 180. :wave::wave::wave:

Am suprised you got it to knock with just minor boost increase, but better to be safe than sorry, 19PSI is the safe limit of the original turbo anyways - anymore than that and it just wears it out....

I can't say that when i ha my MAFAM fitted it did that much more after the turbo kicked in at around 2000rpm, tho my MAF was going out of spec so i needed to leave it at 1 O'clock... as high as 3 O'clock overfueled and caused the hestitation\stuttering at around 1500-1750RPM.

TBH the more the diesels overfuel the faster they go, and the MFAM will not provide more fuel than the ECU is ecpecting - it is only really boosting the signal within tolerances, otherwise it would be possible to use it as a tuning box...

Oh the car is indeed in good hands - but has become a bit more involved than originally planned, but that is what happens when you try to get about 80-100% more power and 50% more torque out an engine!

I *will* be doing some trackdays this year, but need to give the car a decent shakedown before so, would hate to break it again on track lol

And as a note, you could probably buy a 180 on what i have ended up spending on mods :whistle:

Here is what i have done to the car so far...
Changes to Date:
MAFAM (disconnected); K4.80 Green Filter; Wingy EGR blanking kit, Downpipe, Decat, Backbox & Injectors; Donnydiesel silicone IC hoses (Roose); Donny Custom Turbo outlet pipe; ZS180 calipers and carriers; Uprated gearbox bearings; Helix Clutch; Quaife ATB; Stage 2 Hybrid Turbo @22PSI (GBE EVO D controller); Upgraded clutch Hydraulics; Partial Remap
Last Mods:
FMIC and Remap sorting

Dyno 140-160bhp & 220-260lbs-ft (estimate)

^^ it is an estimate as the clutch hydraulics went while it was being remapped.. hence the partial comment. but peak torque i saw was 260, but with chronic overfueling - it could be much higher when the FMIC is done and the remap is finished and it is properly run on the dyno...

To add to the list is wire&groove the head, and some ARP head studs, as well as a bit of porting work all round, while matt has it in bits.

With hindsight i probably would have popped a set of SDI injectors in, had a mild remap to keep peak torque below 250Lbs-ft and left it as that

but where is the fun in that, and now i will have a fairly unique ZS, tho there is a Mk2 X-power grey one on .org with simialr mods to mine - but he has some really nasty pump timing issues and is only running at stock power levels

Alan.F
28-01-09, 02:40 PM
Get a 180 you know you want one i wish i had done it years ago

Phate
28-01-09, 02:50 PM
I resent that!

To my knowledge its 3! :smile2:

peterzs
28-01-09, 03:34 PM
Jay :sorry::thumbsup::thumbsup::joker::joker:

peterzs
28-01-09, 03:55 PM
but where is the fun in that, and now i will have a fairly unique ZS, tho there is a Mk2 X-power grey one on .org with simialr mods to mine - but he has some really nasty pump timing issues and is only running at stock power levels

Sounds like yours is a high spec, I'v had a remap, the ECU was taken off, sent away and refitted, Bmc filter, de-cat. Powerflow ss exhaust and back box from the de-cat, turbo boost increased + 2 psi plus Roverrons MAF box.

I wanted a car that still was fun to drive with a bit more poke, rather than an out and out race car. :wave::wave:

p_b82
28-01-09, 05:00 PM
Sounds good, nothing there should cause too much grief just smiles per mile :D

the only reason mine is high spec is the clutch\diff and gearbox can't cope with the increased torque if you go pretty much 1 step above you and fit bigger injectors... it is kinda an all or nothing situation as i have found out.

Injectors needs a bigger turbo (tho you can avoid it with SDI's if you fit an FMIC only) - turbo can allow more torque\power etc etc

It is still perfectualy usable on normal roads as it is suppsoed to remain my daily drive to get me to and from the airport for work for the foreseable future. so it is has a heavy but usable clutch, and all the interior and AC still. :D

Dave ZS-X
28-01-09, 06:50 PM
Wait till Santa Pod (along as its not raining on the day) I've got Chris's ST in my sights.
Looking at the site you dont need a helmet unless its an open top, or you go over the finish line at more than 110 mph, dont know how you know that if its your first run though.

Also waiting for the rolling road Dan was arranging in Essex, to see what the bhp is now.

I have been looking at the 180 and its very tempting, getting mpg about the same. Must admit it was up and down the M3 and then the Forest meet, and it was going a lot quicker, He He,:clap2::clap2::clap2:

no one will get anywhere near 110 mph at santa pod,stock zs 180 will pull between 89 -92 mph depending on the conditions on the day,diesel zs will pull high 70's low 80's imo , chris will be quickest terminal at about 104 mph imo.

Dave

Phate
28-01-09, 06:56 PM
Not Murray with his NOS?

afcbadam
28-01-09, 07:12 PM
if your getting 35mpg peter your not getting my 180's mpg. lol im currently getting between 23-26mpg

peterzs
28-01-09, 08:06 PM
if your getting 35mpg peter your not getting my 180's mpg. lol im currently getting between 23-26mpg

Makes mine look better

peterzs
28-01-09, 08:07 PM
Not Murray with his NOS?

Give most a run for their money, that would be interesting.:mml::mml::mml:

Phate
28-01-09, 08:08 PM
You bought a 180 yet?

peterzs
28-01-09, 08:16 PM
You bought a 180 yet?

I was looking at one on ebay, gray one, starting price 99p no reserve and it went for,------ no bids, time ended, could have kicked myself for not putting £2.50. on it.What would have happened if no one else bid, supposing he didnt get a mate to puy a bid on. :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

Phate
28-01-09, 09:24 PM
Right....so have you bought one yet?

stamford
29-01-09, 07:18 AM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_cxxUJj20_10/R5S-9SFgk0I/AAAAAAAAAQI/X-EIWDWW8mI/s400/180+at+last+-+horrorshow+19th+jan+2008+darts+maximum+with+silly +text+frame+hamdarts.blogspot.com.JPG:yes: