PDA

View Full Version : MkII dash in a MkI

skyblueads
01-02-09, 09:42 PM
I've sourced a MkII dash for my hatch, has anybody swapped a MkI dash for the MkII? Is it especially time consuming? Does anyone know if it's possible to plug in the digital air-con (the Zonda style one) or is more work needed? As long as I can fit the main part of the dash I'm happy. If the aircon bits and bobs will fit,it's a bonus.

afcbadam
01-02-09, 10:10 PM
from what i have herd its a lot of work as the wiring is completly different. somebody will be along soon to tell you more

skyblueads
02-02-09, 08:14 AM
You mean for the centre console? I'm planning to leave that in place initially at least, so I'll only actually be swapping one large piece of plastic for another. Size wise it must be the same though-I'm assuming that with the minimal amount of money MG-R had that the airvents will line up the same on both?

Jay-ZS+
02-02-09, 08:42 AM
would have been easier to buy a mk2 to begin with surly?!!

skyblueads
02-02-09, 09:20 AM
If I could've afforded a MkII I would've done. Fact is I've spent less on the changes on mine from mkI to mkII than the extra £2000 or £3000 a mkII would've cost me nearly 2 years ago when I got my ZS.

Jay-ZS+
02-02-09, 09:43 AM
how much did the exterior cost if you dont mind the ask? Did you do just the front or whole lot. Its something id like to do but hear its a real hassel getting brackets! the mk1 is looked quite dated!

skyblueads
02-02-09, 12:05 PM
Why not just buy a MkII in the first place? :w00t:

I did it on the cheap, as I was able to source stuff via eBay and being very patient. I got a discount on my paint too, through some work I did for the magazine. All in my MkII stuff has probably cost me about £300 all in, I sold my old mkI front end for £150 so that helped too,

skyblueads
12-02-09, 09:54 PM
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2554/dashjb2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

All done and dusted. Very pleased with it. Just got to fit my black oak dash.

Jay-ZS+
12-02-09, 10:02 PM
Looks very smart how hard was it to fit in the end? Decided what to do with the extra hazard switch?

Stuart
12-02-09, 10:04 PM
Looks great!! im so very tempted to do this, even more so now, the dash is the one thing i really dont like in my car!

Hope it all went ok! :D

K&S Coachworks
12-02-09, 10:14 PM
If I could've afforded a MkII I would've done. Fact is I've spent less on the changes on mine from mkI to mkII than the extra £2000 or £3000 a mkII would've cost me nearly 2 years ago when I got my ZS.

yeh and you now have a car which looks as good as mk2 and better built:hooray:

skyblueads
13-02-09, 07:19 AM
Looks very smart how hard was it to fit in the end? Decided what to do with the extra hazard switch?

I went to RSM and George's mechanic did the hard work for me, I was too worried about airbags and stuff, it was bad enough changing the steering wheel! It took a few hours, just because there's so many screws and bolts. I'm still undecided if it's worth doing the start button, I'll do something with the switch.

@ K&S definately agree mate, although one thing did surprise me, the mkII dash had a load of white sound deadening behind it, unlike my mkI. Some told me the dash is a bit plasticy, but I think it's just as good as the Honda dash, if not better.

wilko66
13-02-09, 05:52 PM
I went to RSM and George's mechanic did the hard work for me, I was too worried about airbags and stuff, it was bad enough changing the steering wheel! It took a few hours, just because there's so many screws and bolts. I'm still undecided if it's worth doing the start button, I'll do something with the switch.

@ K&S definately agree mate, although one thing did surprise me, the mkII dash had a load of white sound deadening behind it, unlike my mkI. Some told me the dash is a bit plasticy, but I think it's just as good as the Honda dash, if not better.

so wheres the pics then .............or have i missed them somewhere:clap:

skyblueads
13-02-09, 06:08 PM
I put up a pic in the previous thread. I'll stick some more up when I get 5 minutes.

Jay-ZS+
13-02-09, 06:39 PM
Think the mk1 center console looks much better than mk2 but prefer the mk2 dash so perfect combination! Looks great. So whats next now?:construction: