PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need to find a car's owner?

markyzs180
11-02-09, 10:12 PM
Is there any way of finding out who owns a car just from the reg no?

I suppose if you had a relative in the dvla/police etc this would be easy but as I don't is there any way of doing it legitimately?

dave87
11-02-09, 10:27 PM
no that sorta info is protected (quite rightly) by the data protection act.

However, the DVLA will sell your details to 3rd party companies(people that own car parks) cos they are pathetic.

markyzs180
11-02-09, 10:32 PM
no that sorta info is protected (quite rightly) by the data protection act.

However, the DVLA will sell your details to 3rd party companies(people that own car parks) cos they are pathetic.

yep you're right there!

TjP
11-02-09, 10:39 PM
Ive heard of one country where you could phone up with the number plate of any car and get the phone number and address of the owner, all perfectly legal. I think the idea is that people will drive more sensibly and respectfully if they know that anyone can get their details easily... not sure I'd be too comfortable with that though!

Cant remember what country it is now though :hmmm: Might have seen about it on Top Gear, or one of Clarksons other, older programs (extreme machines etc).

DeMoNPauL
11-02-09, 11:12 PM
Is there any way of finding out who owns a car just from the reg no?

I suppose if you had a relative in the dvla/police etc this would be easy but as I don't is there any way of doing it legitimately?

You can request that information from the DVLA, but you must have a very good reason to need it (hit and run for example.)

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v888.pdf

markyzs180
11-02-09, 11:41 PM
You can request that information from the DVLA, but you must have a very good reason to need it (hit and run for example.)

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v888.pdf

Cheers Paul, just want the address of the guy who bought my mini classic, I did have it but can't find it anywhere, might pop down the local office and have a chat to them, he doesn't live too far away.

DeMoNPauL
12-02-09, 12:06 AM
Cheers Paul, just want the address of the guy who bought my mini classic, I did have it but can't find it anywhere, might pop down the local office and have a chat to them, he doesn't live too far away.

Good luck with your request. I don't think you will be given the information unless it is of the utmost importance but it's worth asking.

dave87
12-02-09, 12:12 AM
Ive heard of one country where you could phone up with the number plate of any car and get the phone number and address of the owner, all perfectly legal. I think the idea is that people will drive more sensibly and respectfully if they know that anyone can get their details easily... not sure I'd be too comfortable with that though!

Cant remember what country it is now though :hmmm: Might have seen about it on Top Gear, or one of Clarksons other, older programs (extreme machines etc).

Sounds like the USA to me. I know there is websites where you can search for a name and get everything about that person that is held on government databases. just do a google search for people search services and there is loads of companies who will tell you everything about someone for a dollar