PDA

View Full Version : Oil catch tanks

RalphG
19-02-09, 05:40 PM
We had a ZS180 in the workshop today (not going to name names ;)) with an oil catch tank fitted by a previous owner. We tested the VIS motors and found that the balance motors was not working - it had already been replaced previously.

Inspecting the motor we found that it was soaked in oil. This lead 'us' to having a look at the oil catch, which we had previously relocated due to being on the low pressure breather rather than the high pressure. Taking the top off the catch tank we found that it had no internal baffle or oil strainer. Consequently, it was of little or no use. The oil vapour went into this aluminium box and was then immediately sucked out, with a minimal amount of oil condensing inside the 'catch tank'.

Phate
19-02-09, 05:48 PM
Sooooo does this mean when we fit a catch tank to fit one with an internal baffle and oil strainer? :)

This is on my list of todo jobs!

SimonMGZS
19-02-09, 05:48 PM
so what you are saying that the oil catch tanks that have no baffle or oil strainer are completely useless.

well that means the two that i have fitted on mine are not working and are completely useless being there so i might aswell remove them from the vehicle.

unless you know something that i can put inside them to make them work properly

ZS180V6
19-02-09, 06:02 PM
I remember someone saying you can put wire wool in them ?

Maxfly
19-02-09, 06:15 PM
so what you are saying that the oil catch tanks that have no baffle or oil strainer are completely useless.

well that means the two that i have fitted on mine are not working and are completely useless being there so i might aswell remove them from the vehicle.

unless you know something that i can put inside them to make them work properly

they do work, but would guess just not as well. I have 2 fitted, none with baffles (yet) the one that is on the narrower breather is deffo doing it's job - has been on nearly a year (about 9.5k miles) and is about half full with oily stuff and this one leaks round the seams so should have more in it. The other doesn't even have oily residure in it's pipes!!! when i empty the tank it will be cleaned up, wire wool added and sealed properly!! :)

RalphG
19-02-09, 06:28 PM
The problem is that the inlet and outlet ports on this catch tank are next to each other and are at the same height. In order for the catch tank to work you need to force the oil to condense. This can be done with wire wool, but you still have the problem of the outlets being next to each other so it would not be as efficient as it could be.

The ideal solution with this tank would be to fix a baffle between the inlet and outlet ports on the lid and then fill the tank with some wire wool at least up to the level of the bottom of the baffle.

We have now fitted this car with the catch tanks that Masher on XPower forums has been selling.

afcbadam
19-02-09, 06:42 PM
I remember someone saying you can put wire wool in them ?

correct. thats how i done mine. it collects the oil fine. i have pulled the outlet pipe off and there is no oil in there atall

stamford
19-02-09, 06:59 PM
I use the aluminum pan scourers, looks like a ball of ally swarf. A pack 6 for 99p ;)

afcbadam
19-02-09, 07:01 PM
i use wire wool as i get it free at work! :p

carmadbaker
19-02-09, 07:01 PM
:thankyou::blush::whistle::whistle::whistle:

vinny1979
19-02-09, 07:15 PM
i need to fit mine, so i need to put wire wool in the bottom! lol

p_b82
19-02-09, 08:08 PM
or another option is to extend the inlet with a bit of pipe right down to the bottom of the tank... lots of plastic bonding glues would be up to the job...

then as the height difference is there (and wire wool) it would catch a lot more.
EAsier than trying to seperate into two halves i recon....

Rtsprint
19-02-09, 10:05 PM
:thankyou::blush::whistle::whistle::whistle:

So how's she drive now Dan with the new vis valve :icecream:

carmadbaker
20-02-09, 12:12 AM
I think i was loosing power because my catch tank didn't have baffles actually mate ;)

Those new tiny ones are really cranking the bhp up ;) ha ha!

Perfect tho mate cheerz :D