PDA

View Full Version : Petrol! Does it have a shelf life!

idge2003
21-02-09, 09:11 AM
Does it have a shelf life peoples opinion would be grateful!

My old 180 broke 20 miles after it was brimmed! That was back in july and have only now managed to get the car to a point where it can be stripped and the fuel taken out!

Is it gonna be any good? Should it be mixed with new?

Heard differing opinions can't make my mind up!

Brett

Bobdope2002
21-02-09, 09:13 AM
i think fuel does go off after a while not sure how long it takes though

i think it would still work but wouldnt be as effective im probs wrong though

weagie
21-02-09, 09:46 AM
Heard the same. I think i takes a good while before it starts to deteriorate. If in doubt fire some octane booster in it or use it up a bit at a time with new fuel. Failing that use it for insurance purposes!

stamford
21-02-09, 09:49 AM
Best seek a professional opinion as I knew someone who dropped some old petrol in his Merc and it promptly damaged his engine beyond repair. Something to do with the detergents and lubricants deteriorating over time. For the sake of £40-45 I would ditch it or use it in a lawnmower.

Supercharged_Z
21-02-09, 10:13 AM
id have no problem using that imo.

idge2003
21-02-09, 10:36 AM
One of the opinions I was given was from a mate who is a trained mechanic with his own garage and he said it should be fine as its not that old and I could mix it with new if I wanted, but I always like to hear other peoples veiws!

Brett

Maxfly
21-02-09, 11:56 AM
i would agree with your mechanic mate, the petrol isn't that old to have gone 'off' yet so should be fine to use. usually it is petrol that is years old in barn find cars etc that you won't be able to use:)

Bobdope2002
21-02-09, 11:57 AM
yeh its gone off i think you should send it me in a jerry can and ill test it for you

grimmy
21-02-09, 05:49 PM
Petrol can go off it evaporates and leaves a sticky varnish type residue, we have to empty the fuel tanks of the lawn mowers before winter storage and run the machines dry to get rid of any fuel in the carbs if we don't do it six months later we have a strip down and rebuild of the carbs as they are gummed right up.

afcbadam
21-02-09, 07:09 PM
fuel takes 2 years to go off completley. it gets thicker and smells funny after that time