PDA

View Full Version : the definitive catch tank thread

vinny1979
22-02-09, 07:49 AM
right it seems the last few days there has been lots of talk anout catch tanks, plumbing into the wrong pipe, baffles in the catch tank, them not doing their job right etc etc, which has confused people including me.

So I want to do mine today, i have my catch tank from ross, no bafles im sure, so can someone who has done it correctly spill the beans for us all please.

Thanks lol, pics would be appreciated!:weirdo:

SimonMGZS
22-02-09, 05:05 PM
i have got two catch tanks on mine with no baffles in them and they are both fitted on the larger and smaller pipes.

the place where i have fitted is where both pipes meet each other from both of the rocker covers.

Maxxed_Ross
23-02-09, 11:55 AM
you don't really need baffles in that one I gave you, just pack some of that wire wool you scrub pans with in it and that'll do tha same thing - if not better!

vinny1979
23-02-09, 12:53 PM
thanks, im still confused as to what pipe to connect to , of the two breathers LOL

stevelou5
23-02-09, 01:18 PM
Silly question.....catch tanks?

what are they for and what is the benefit?

Nor
24-02-09, 03:21 PM
Silly question.....catch tanks?

what are they for and what is the benefit?

They reduce oil vapour entering the plenum and damaging the vis valves.

As suggested by a few folk, I was going to add some wire wool to my catch tank today. Only thing is, the wire wool seems to give off loads of little fibres. That surely isn't something you want floating about your system?

RalphG
24-02-09, 03:43 PM
You don't want steel fibres making their way into the inlet manifold. In the worse case scenario, they will make their way into the cylinders resulting in damage to the cylinder walls and/or pistons.

Nor
24-02-09, 03:45 PM
You don't want steel fibres making their way into the inlet manifold. In the worse case scenario, they will make their way into the cylinders resulting in damage to the cylinder walls and/or pistons.

Thanks EMS, what I thought.

[edit] Will see what those metal pan scourers are like. They might do the job.

Nor
24-02-09, 05:45 PM
Got myself some metal pan scourers. Have to say though, it all seems a bit Heath Robinson, adding bits of metal to air lines.

deano ZS180
25-04-09, 02:48 PM
so whats the outcome then?

TegTypeR
21-05-09, 11:00 AM
you don't really need baffles in that one I gave you, just pack some of that wire wool you scrub pans with in it and that'll do tha same thing - if not better!

Please don't do that! Could cause all sorts of problems.

The best product to use is a nylon abrasive pad or wool (Scotch Brite pads are what they are more commonly known as). They have a lot more resistance to breaking down and work just as well.

Steel can cause also an electrolytic reaction if you use an aluminium bodied catch tank.

As other people have already said, any metal particals could cause wear issues on the engine as well.

stamford
21-05-09, 11:05 AM
I think he means the aluminium pan scourers not wire wool. The ally ones are fine as they are wafer thin.

afcbadam
21-05-09, 03:32 PM
i have wire wool in mine, should it be changed to pan scourers??

vinny1979
21-05-09, 04:01 PM
do i need them in mine!

Maxxed_Ross
23-05-09, 09:42 AM
not really, but some people think it helps get more vapour out of the passing air

stamford
23-05-09, 10:44 AM
i have wire wool in mine, should it be changed to pan scourers??

Get shot of it and swap it for the aluminium version, less harmful if any particles got sucked through the system.