PDA

View Full Version : Car keys stolen - help

jp kelly
26-02-09, 05:26 PM
ok so i drive a class 2 hgv with a crane on the back. went to a drop and went to the crane to unload the goods. in the 1 minute i was on the crane, abt 30 seconds looking away from the front, some cheeky f*** stole my work phone and my bag out of the cab and ran away without me knowing about it.
my bag had my house and car keys inside also with a letter i just got off work with my address on it, ive rang the police but they said nowt they can do so im screwed.
im going to have to change my house locks, ive moved my car to another address until its sorted, but what do i need to do about my car?????? new locks,immobiliser, ecu, cheers for any help??????????

RalphG
26-02-09, 05:32 PM
At the least you should get a new fob programmed - this should remove the stolen fob from the ones that will start your car. Speak to your insurer as they will probably cover the cost of doing this. They may also insist on replacement of the locks.

Dan1971
26-02-09, 05:44 PM
ok so i drive a class 2 hgv with a crane on the back. went to a drop and went to the crane to unload the goods. in the 1 minute i was on the crane, abt 30 seconds looking away from the front, some cheeky f*** stole my work phone and my bag out of the cab and ran away without me knowing about it.
my bag had my house and car keys inside also with a letter i just got off work with my address on it, ive rang the police but they said nowt they can do so im screwed.
im going to have to change my house locks, ive moved my car to another address until its sorted, but what do i need to do about my car?????? new locks,immobiliser, ecu, cheers for any help??????????

House locks are a must. Chances are it was just an opportunist thief and the keys etc are of no use. The phone'll be getting used for calls abroad and then go up at a boot sale.

Ofcourse there is the possibility that it ends up in the hands of an identity thief who obtains loads of credit and goods in your name. :yikes:

Ensure that the police give you a crime reference number which you can quote to the insurance co.

jp kelly
26-02-09, 05:55 PM
the phone was just a works one and blocked within minutes of this happening, what if my insurance dont cover it and then use it as a claim and i loose my no claims, can that happen

Dan1971
26-02-09, 06:02 PM
the phone was just a works one and blocked within minutes of this happening, what if my insurance dont cover it and then use it as a claim and i loose my no claims, can that happen

Seriously !!!! House insurance. It's got nowt to do with your car.

Edit oops .... You were in a works car ???? Then it'd be down as a theft from motor vehicle on your company policy.

jp kelly
26-02-09, 06:12 PM
what????????????? what i mean is, if i ring my car insurance and say my keys were stolen, and they then say we cant cover you for that without using it as a claim, wont i loose my no claims the???????????????

Dan1971
26-02-09, 06:18 PM
Sorry mate .... If you were in a work vehicle, like I don't know ... You're a delivery driver or something similar, then you claim for a theft from motor vehicle under your works insurance policy, not on your own one.

Jay-ZS+
26-02-09, 06:21 PM
Its was the keys for his zs! sorry to hear this mate. Its the hassle more than anything pain in the behind

markyzs180
26-02-09, 06:25 PM
This is an awkward one...surely as you were in the works vehicle it's down to the company insurance so shouldn't they cover your losses which would be a lock change to house and car? But I can see your point of informing your own car insurance in case anything happens to it while its being sorted but you know what insurance companys are like, they will flag it as a potential claim which, if it isn't sorted by renewal time, will probably affect your premium.

Wherever you've moved the car to I'd take the steering wheel off and take off a few ht leads....

Craig
26-02-09, 06:28 PM
Wherever you've moved the car to I'd take the steering wheel off and take off a few ht leads....

Remove the relay for the ignition, i used to do it with my zr.

Hope you get it sorted mate

stamford
26-02-09, 06:34 PM
That really sucks mate, sorry to hear that. Hope you get it sorted and not out of pocket. I can't see why you should not be covered by the works policy.

Dan1971
26-02-09, 06:34 PM
Its was the keys for his zs! sorry to hear this mate. Its the hassle more than anything pain in the behind

Yeah .... I know :rant: , but he was in another car when they got stolen .... Never mind. Hey ... Bad news, loads of grief, but hope you get it sorted.

jp kelly
26-02-09, 06:47 PM
i wasn't in a car, it was my works wagon, anyone work at insurance and know what to do? do i try claim of my works without mine knowing or what, cheers?

markyzs180
26-02-09, 06:52 PM
i wasn't in a car, it was my works wagon, anyone work at insurance and know what to do? do i try claim of my works without mine knowing or what, cheers?

thats what i would be doing, i can't see a need to inform your insurance if your claiming via your works policy, the only grey area is if something happens to it in the meantime...

jp kelly
26-02-09, 07:39 PM
just had my house locks changed, the car is in a safe place where it cant be touched, and it wont be drove until the locks etc are changed anyway

KevG
26-02-09, 08:40 PM
Question is did you lock the company vehicle? if you did then the company is liable ie you can claim from there insurance for your loss, but if you didnt lock the vehicle then YOU are liable for all losses including your own personal affects as well as your companies property, so I would therefore contact your own insurance and lodge a claim, I'm not an insurance expert but if you read your own insurance documents, you will discover the part about theft from your vehicle, just apply that part to your companies point of view.

jp kelly
26-02-09, 08:47 PM
i cant lock the door whilst im on the crane, the wagon needs to be running with the p.t.o on to run the hydraulics of the crane

KevG
26-02-09, 08:56 PM
Does the vehicle have any secure cabinets to store stuff?

shroonie29
26-02-09, 09:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-45-400-MG-ZS-Complete-Lock-set_W0QQitemZ150071319699QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item150071319699&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18 lock set

Shroon

talkingcars
28-02-09, 06:13 AM
i cant lock the door whilst im on the crane, the wagon needs to be running with the p.t.o on to run the hydraulics of the crane

It is a big proplem on any vehicle with a P.T.O (power take off) for hydraulics to run cranes etc.

On our older trucks one can lcok the drivers door wite the engine running but the newer crane trucks have remote locking etc so will not lock if the ignition is on.

Personally I don't carry a work bag so keep my keys and phone in my pocket but that isn't always possible.

As one has to leave the vehicle unsecured while opperating the crane I would give the problem to your company, rather than asking your boss I would go directly to your HR department, as long as you have taken resonable care they should be able to cover it on the company insurance, they may even do it anyway.

Which company do you work for.

Finally if you have house insurance the policy may cover you for loss of keys, again your HR department will be useful as they should be able to give you a letter on headed paper confirming that it is not possible to lock the truck while operating the crane.

Good luck, let us know how it pans out.

jp kelly
28-02-09, 07:00 AM
Spoke to a friend high up in insurance, he said i am covered for loss of keys, BUT........ They would only pay out for new keys to be cut as that is all was took, which is pointless as someone still has mine

Jay-ZS+
28-02-09, 07:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-mgzs-2-5-v6-lock-set-alarm-ECU-set-for-lost-keys_W0QQitemZ130290425025QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item130290425025&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

Think thats your safest best!

brad414
28-02-09, 08:17 AM
i would for the sake of messing with insurance buy the complete lock set with fobs that advertised abouve no point messing with insurance as the access is normally higher then the cost of the abouve auction

jp kelly
01-03-09, 10:20 AM
you cant just change the ecu and it works, it has to be put on a t4 and linked to the scu

RalphG
02-03-09, 10:17 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-mgzs-2-5-v6-lock-set-alarm-ECU-set-for-lost-keys_W0QQitemZ130290425025QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item130290425025&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

Think thats your safest best!

That's for a car with the 5AS alarm unit, not the SCU.