PDA

View Full Version : 4 day week not happy

ian zs180
09-03-09, 07:16 AM
Well on friday i was told we are going on a 4 day week as of this week so i,m off today i,m gutted was gona get my itg in a couple of weeks but that will have to go on hold now as i,m gona have to watch my pennies . Its bad what is going on with people goin on short working weeks and even losing there jobs when is it gona end .Just hope it doesen't get any worse like going on a 3 day week coz i,ll be stuffed then or even worse it closes down oh well fingers crossed that doesnt happen . Oh well suppose you have to just get on with it can't even go out and give my car a good clean and polish today its blowing a gale out there and keeps raining on and off looks like i,m watching great daytime telly then :no:

stamford
09-03-09, 07:38 AM
Sorry to hear that Ian, what line of business are you in? Some companies are working very hard to avoid redundancies or closure, I suppose that is the only positive to take from this. Not many trades are safe apart from the obvious of course.

My MD, Director and sales engineer are off to Italy this week in the hope of saving a machine deal that the customer backed out of late last year, we have built two welding machines under contract and worth £400k. If it is dead in the water then they are worth half of that to sell on.

Dan1971
09-03-09, 08:40 AM
Fingers x'd for you .... Got any of these .... :dumbells:

arwilson80
09-03-09, 09:00 AM
Yeah, fingers crossed for you. The way i see it is that 4 days is better than loosing your job though. Not ideal, but the best of a bad situation really.

Glen290
09-03-09, 10:45 AM
as i said yesterday, gutted for you, but does give you more time to polish that shiny machine of yours, looked pristine yesterday afternoon

Bobdope2002
09-03-09, 12:20 PM
4 days is better than nout mate

ive been unemployed for a fortnight and theyre really is nothing out theyre

wilko66
09-03-09, 12:24 PM
fingers crossed bud, hopefully things will sort themselves out

ian zs180
09-03-09, 02:39 PM
cheers guys yeah suppose i gotta be greatfull i still have a job . i,m in printing stamford i,ve been in the same place 24 years this year was thinking maybe if we ended up being made redundant i would get a decent payout but apparently not only 1 weeks pay for every year i,ve been there but it only pays out a max of 15 years . Cheers glen for the kind comments on my zed

stamford
09-03-09, 03:45 PM
24 years service is something these days. Unfortunately if the company went to the wall you'd get the basic government package which is peanuts, been there myself! Hopefully they are stable enough to sustain the current climate as you are in a stronger position compared to those with less length of service if the company is financially bouyant at present. Hope all goes well for you and hang in there.

Phate
09-03-09, 03:49 PM
Best of luck for you mate, hope things work out.

Bobdope2002
09-03-09, 03:53 PM
24 years service is something these days. Unfortunately if the company went to the wall you'd get the basic government package which is peanuts, been there myself! Hopefully they are stable enough to sustain the current climate as you are in a stronger position compared to those with less length of service if the company is financially bouyant at present. Hope all goes well for you and hang in there.

if the goverment pay,

you get what your owed thats whats im having to do at the minute been nearly 3 weeks and ive still herd nothing from them what so ever

talkingcars
09-03-09, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear that Ian, we have just had to accept a tempory paycut of 5% in exchange for an extra 5 days holiday so less money for more work as we cover for others taking their extra days.

Personally I would have taken the 4 day option but I wasn't allowed as we were short staffed to start with!

Make sure they confirm that your 4 day week and resulting paycut is only a tempory thing as it could effect redundancy pay if it comes to it, on our payslips it shows the standard rate and then has a deduction of 5%