PDA

View Full Version : Change to speed limits - 60mph > 50mph

arwilson80
09-03-09, 11:39 AM
If any of you haven't already seen this i'm sure it will make your day...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article5864847.ece

Quite frankly to say i was seething would be an understatement.

stamford
09-03-09, 12:10 PM
Oh that's just great! So we will spend more time on the road because of it so giving us more chances to cull a few more people!

What a nanny state we are. We ought to raise the speed limit through the areas which are densely populated with immigrants! That'll even things up more!

wilko66
09-03-09, 12:11 PM
Well flipping fantastic:mad:

arwilson80
09-03-09, 12:56 PM
I was saying over on the ZR site, 10 years driving and i've never been one to stick to speed limits yet only 2 times (that i can remember) have i had a bump. Both times were <10mph (1 - guy reversed into me going into an entry; 2 - caught car on the side of house reversing) too!

IMO speed does not kill. Driver stupidity and taking stupid decisions does. The number of times i have seen drivers passing on blind crests, blind corners, etc even in the last 6 months is ridiculous. And it's not always young drivers that do it... van drivers are worst of the lot.

Fudgepacker
09-03-09, 01:05 PM
well how many people will drive the new limit i have problems driving the limit at the moment

ZS180V6
09-03-09, 01:27 PM
They should increase the Motorway limit to 80...

ZS
09-03-09, 01:27 PM
well how many people will drive the new limit i have problems driving the limit at the moment

Everyone... Because of the Average Speed Cameras

If you don't then you get points and a fine. Simple as.

TjP
09-03-09, 01:43 PM
Hmm, I would have thought if you get hit by a car going 50mph (or have a collision, hit a tree or what have you) then youre just as likely to have serious/fatal injuries as if you were doing 60mph...

Oh well, gives an easy opportunity for the next prime minister to get elected, s/he just has to promise to undo this farse!

Hopefully they wont put these cameras in my area though, or if they do I'll just start taking back roads to avoid one of the two cameras in each set!

marts66
09-03-09, 02:18 PM
We ought to raise the speed limit through the areas which are densely populated with immigrants! That'll even things up more!

Would you not say that comment is at best xenophobic and at the worst racist? I'm married to an immigrant and find that kind of opinion best left in your head.

Glen290
09-03-09, 02:20 PM
What a nanny state we are. We ought to raise the speed limit through the areas which are densely populated with immigrants! That'll even things up more!

PMSL

:laugh:

chriszs180
09-03-09, 02:28 PM
Everyone... Because of the Average Speed Cameras

If you don't then you get points and a fine. Simple as.

or there will be a huge increase in dodgy numberplates or polish cars

think i might register mine in some strange european place and use it here....

Nor
09-03-09, 02:34 PM
ffs, the only bit of fun you get in the car these days is NS60 roads.

Phate
09-03-09, 03:14 PM
They should increase the Motorway limit to 80...

I don't see why we can't have what europe has.

80mph in good weather, 70 in everything else. Works for them...why not us?

stevelou5
09-03-09, 03:28 PM
Whats going on........more bloody speed reductions.....more camera's wot a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

stamford
09-03-09, 03:30 PM
Would you not say that comment is at best xenophobic and at the worst racist? I'm married to an immigrant and find that kind of opinion best left in your head.

Don't get me started!

I'm not xenophobic as I do not fear them. Racist? in some way I probably am to a point, but I reckon most people are, except they refuse to admit it.

Opinions are that and everybody has one.

KevG
09-03-09, 03:56 PM
here is the petition

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction/

talkingcars
09-03-09, 04:00 PM
and todays news is that local councils plan to remove speed camera warning signs, apparently to reduce street clutter!

My wife, (a British tax payer although she isn't British citizen so can't vote) grew up in Franco's Spain, she recons the Britian is becomeing worse than Spain every was!

Nor
09-03-09, 04:25 PM
If one of the other parties objects to it that's who'll be getting my vote in the GE.

marts66
09-03-09, 05:03 PM
Don't get me started!

I can't actually believe you think most people are racist. I have worked with people from foreign countries who have arrived on these shores and in the ten years I did this and the thousands of people I met, the only people who stand out are the tiny minority of narrow minded bigots who openly admit to being racist. You can't be racist to a point, you either are or aren't; and it might be worth pointing out that some sentiments and opinions, voiced openly, can actually be illegal, you might want to consider that before voicing them. You can quote freedom of speech to me all you like, but you have no idea the effect your utterances have on those who hear them. How do you know there are no 'immigrants' reading this forum? Do you think that owning an MG is the sole right of white Anglo Saxons?

By the way, my wife and many of our friends are Polish. She, and all the others, own UK registered cars...taxed, MOTd and insured. So thanks for making her feel welcome on this forum. She wants to buy and has test driven a ZR and has also attended a meet with me before, not sure if she'll do this now or attend another meet; might be what racists want?

TjP
09-03-09, 06:15 PM
here is the petition

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction/

Signed.

And about imigrants... Im not racist, but I dont like the way in which this country deals with immigration. A lot of British citizens find themselves homeless or jobless and then I hear stories about immigrants being given free housing and such, which makes me a bit resentful I must admit.

Again, Im not racist in the least, I have a close friend who is Pakistani, but groups of extremists do give their nations a bad name, and unfortunately steriotypes do emerge, along with the fear of the unknown causing paranoia ("what if that person over there is a terrorist?")

wullie-zs180
09-03-09, 07:25 PM
:evilmad:

vinny1979
09-03-09, 07:42 PM
As a postie of many years I can confirm that many non-uk families are housed in the uk's council housing estates, this is what annoys people the most along with the claiming/fiddling of the child tax/working tax credit. Again, I deliver many of these daily, along with the debt letters to many of our eastern european friends who simply vanish after taking out loans etc etc. Then we have the "night fisherman" who steal fish, the drink drivers in my local paper , often eastern europeans. Of course im racist , not just speaking the truth am i that i see on a daily basis. The country is over run and we being british just lay back and let our once proud country turn to ****. rant over and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off topic, as for the 50mph limit, what next? what a shitty country

Andyf
09-03-09, 07:48 PM
I disagree with the bit about a 50mph limit reducing CO2 emissions. Surely if they keep it at 60 and more people die then that's more drivers/cars off the road forever which will have a greater effect on CO2 emissions (and congestion) ;)

I also think that more people will ignore it and get annoyed with people that are doing 50 causing them to do stupid overtakes and cause just as many accidents. Why should the rest of us suffer due to people who are not able to drive properly?

TjP
09-03-09, 08:10 PM
Yeah its really the individual drivers that cause accidents, not the gerenal speed. The cars themselves can affect things too (good brakes, tyres, general handling etc.) For example, I would say that us ZS drivers have a much more capable car than most of what you see on the road and therefore can manouver and brake much more effectively (and safely) at higher speeds. Of course its all about averages, and we get stuck with limits that are determined by much less able vehicles.

As for drivers... I often think how I can drive perfectly safely at 60mph (or dare I say above 60 :whistle: Only joking officer ;)) on most B roads, so long as oncoming drivers can stay on their F'ing side of the road - which a lot of the time they cant! Thats what really causes accidents, people who simply cant handle a car very well, and cant judge where they are on the road.

marts66
09-03-09, 09:40 PM
As a postie of many years I can confirm that many non-uk families are housed in the uk's council housing estates, this is what annoys people the most along with the claiming/fiddling of the child tax/working tax credit. Again, I deliver many of these daily, along with the debt letters to many of our eastern european friends who simply vanish after taking out loans etc etc. Then we have the "night fisherman" who steal fish, the drink drivers in my local paper , often eastern europeans. Of course im racist , not just speaking the truth am i that i see on a daily basis. The country is over run and we being british just lay back and let our once proud country turn to ****. rant over and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off topic, as for the 50mph limit, what next? what a shitty country

You fail to mention how many of these types of letters you deliver to scrounging 'UK' families or the UK families who bleed us dry because they don't want to work , how many sat dishes do you see in council estates...answer...lots, owned by brits who don't work. You might deliver letters to them but I live in a council estate...none of my neighbours is foreign they are all English and all of them, including the ones who don't work have sat dishes, I don't but I work 37 hours a week.

We, as a country, have the worst rate of teenage pregnancy, why? because then the little chavars can get their own place, paid for by the likes of me and you for nowt! You are blind if you think the only people who cream us are foreign, we have had a culture who relies on everyone else and blames everyone else for years ' I didn't go to school, it's my teachers fault... there's no work in my street so f**k that I'm not going to work....' It goes on..I work with people who say the same thing to me over and over, we winge and blame everyone else....ooooh it's their fault they're (insert nationality)! Racists, I s**t on them, and feel sorry for their kids, you're not born a racist it comes from ignorant, intolerant people and the sooner they die out the better for the world.

vinny1979
09-03-09, 09:44 PM
i agree but come to lincolnshire. were full lol
and yes we do have many non working brits, like i say the country is ****. lol

arwilson80
09-03-09, 10:06 PM
Back on topic everyone... This is about the reduction of speed limits, not immigration.:judge:

arwilson80
10-03-09, 09:15 AM
Signed the online thingy-ma-bob

Maxxed_Ross
11-03-09, 08:42 AM
buy a Defender... most fun you can have at 5mph!

Then on the way home it's covered in that much mud the cameras will be useless anyway... hehe

ZS
11-03-09, 08:44 AM
buy a Defender... most fun you can have at 5mph!

Then on the way home it's covered in that much mud the cameras will be useless anyway... hehe

Defender? Pah! Buy a Proper LandRover! Like me... A 1963 Series 2a :D:D:D :joker:

Which, BTW, is back on the road! yippieee!!! Right.. now to join the local off road club... :thumbsup:

arwilson80
21-04-09, 09:27 AM
It's been approved...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/news/article6136213.ece

As a former Traffic Police Head, I would ask who is going to enforce this? Where is the data to prove justification? Cameras are not the total answer, as the old rule says, engineering, education and then enforcement. Sorry, this simply will not work and once again the cops will get the blame.

Dave, Rugby, Warwickshire

:rant::rant::rant:

TjP
21-04-09, 09:38 AM
So is it just A roads? Or B roads too?

Title specifies A roads but in the body it mentions rural single carriageways too (B roads?).

Total bummer anyway. I've had the space saver wheen on the last few days, so 50mph has been my maximum and my god its boring!

arwilson80
21-04-09, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure TBH, but knowing how things are going... :mad:

edit: looks like NI & Scotland might get 'lucky... maybe one of the benefits of devolution? :)
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8009364.stm

stamford
21-04-09, 11:05 AM
I would be more concerned regarding the other points stated in that report. Seems we have fewer rights as a motorist and the cyclist getting more, even if they are not enforced to take tests and courses! So we can get a fine and points for passing a cyclist too close............so what about the cyclist that passes too close when in stop/start traffic? Some cyclists ride about 3' from the kerb and rural places leaves no room to get past. I also see many still riding 2 or more abreast, I see nothing being done about that one.

Always penalising the motorist, us older, more 'mature' drivers end up paying for the immature younger drivers out there. The changes proposed will not make a huge difference, quite how they measured it can save 1000 lives is beyond me when they admit they do not record all incidences.

Knee jerk reaction and a poor opinion poll = trying to make amends and save face.

arwilson80
21-04-09, 01:08 PM
you think it may be a way of frustrating the motorist into getting rid of the car as there is no real benefit of having one? ;)

..and as for 'saving face'. It seems that it's all Labour have been doing TBH, and not even that. If something needs 'fixed' it seems to be a law for this and a law for that..

TjP
21-04-09, 07:38 PM
I also see many still riding 2 or more abreast, I see nothing being done about that one.

Lol that happened to me about 30 mins ago on my way home. Perhaps they didnt realise I was crawling along behind them round some bends but they made no effort to make it easier for me to pass (ie going single file) :thumbsdown:

ViT
11-08-09, 08:26 PM
I was saying over on the ZR site, 10 years driving and i've never been one to stick to speed limits yet only 2 times (that i can remember) have i had a bump. Both times were <10mph (1 - guy reversed into me going into an entry; 2 - caught car on the side of house reversing) too!

IMO speed does not kill. Driver stupidity and taking stupid decisions does. The number of times i have seen drivers passing on blind crests, blind corners, etc even in the last 6 months is ridiculous. And it's not always young drivers that do it... van drivers are worst of the lot.

I'm a brand new driver and consider myself to be on a steep learning curve, however many experienced drivers who've been in a car with me (11+ years of driving) consider me to be a safe driver - I also am developing my ability to know when and where to have fun and the ability to really read what's going on around you, in my short spout of driving, nearly every "developing situation" has involved busses not using their mirrors. (Just had an official letter of apology from a bus company where I live as I was nearly in a serious RTA with one swurving into my lane without checking mirrors). I guess buses in Birmingham are particularly bad.

You are totally right, Speed does not kill, a recless disregard for other road users (inc pedistrians) kills. I think it's also aways unfair to lable young drivers as "Immature" - it just depends on the person really. Most nutters I've seen on the road tend to of a wide age gap.

Marky Mark
11-08-09, 08:51 PM
I can't see how the new scheme is going to work, I am an hgv driver and have to pass many cyclists everyday, they come down the inside of you, leaving you hardly any room to manoeuvre around them, they come around the outside of you, they also go through red lights in London, so why do they not get penalised, but the government see the cyclist as going green the new way forward, but what about us drivers!!!!

Yes, they are trying to get us car drivers off of the road, spoiling our safe fun on the roads, and reducing speed limits, I can understand it in some areas, but not 40mph on a dual carriageway the A217 Reigate road which I drive down every afternoon in a lorry. Come on man give us a break!!! :wall:

peterzs
11-08-09, 09:11 PM
Looks like another stealth tax, they have to balance the books after bailing out the banks, so the poor bankers can still have their fat bonus, if they make money or not.

Motorists are the easy way of collecting cash, tax on fuel, Road fund, tax on insurance, parking fines for this and that, £60 for going over the limit, what about all the bikes that are out there without lights at night, usually all in dark clothing.

I can remember driving Ford Pops with 6 volt lighting and vacume windscreen wipers, now that was fun, on a wet and rainy night, trying to overtake a lorry throwing out loads of spray. :oldtimer:

Now our cars can light up the road for miles and have the power to get by most things without too much trouble.

The speed limits need raising not lowering, mutter mutter mutter. :rant::rant::rant:

Jay-ZS+
11-08-09, 09:51 PM
Wont make any difference I will still drive at 70 :) lol just keep the road angle up todate, and need to work on the "james bond fake spinning plates" lol

Like pete said its all another way of stitching up the people of their money,

will-w
11-08-09, 10:36 PM
I'm going to continue to drive at the 'real' national speed limit, regardless of some stupid new speed limit!

Bloody stupid government, I hope the Conservative's scrap it when they're voted into power (lets face it, labour doesn't stand a chance!)

blobslosak
25-09-09, 09:06 PM
Average speed cameras every 6 miles... simple. Drive flat out for 5 miles. Pull over, have a coffee. 5 mins later, tootle along at 50mph for the last mile. Average speed will be less than 50mph ;)

fastmike
26-09-09, 08:38 AM
You fail to mention how many of these types of letters you deliver to scrounging 'UK' families or the UK families who bleed us dry because they don't want to work , how many sat dishes do you see in council estates...answer...lots, owned by brits who don't work. You might deliver letters to them but I live in a council estate...none of my neighbours is foreign they are all English and all of them, including the ones who don't work have sat dishes, I don't but I work 37 hours a week.

We, as a country, have the worst rate of teenage pregnancy, why? because then the little chavars can get their own place, paid for by the likes of me and you for nowt! You are blind if you think the only people who cream us are foreign, we have had a culture who relies on everyone else and blames everyone else for years ' I didn't go to school, it's my teachers fault... there's no work in my street so f**k that I'm not going to work....' It goes on..I work with people who say the same thing to me over and over, we winge and blame everyone else....ooooh it's their fault they're (insert nationality)! Racists, I s**t on them, and feel sorry for their kids, you're not born a racist it comes from ignorant, intolerant people and the sooner they die out the better for the world.

We like shagging dude :mbounce:

fastmike
26-09-09, 08:44 AM
You guys have missed something this week....... they want to make it law that in an accident ....ie a car hits a cyclist..... the car being the larger vehicle is automatically at fault . Yes as crazy as that sounds that is correct..... SOOOO brace yourselves for fraudulent claims as cyclists everywhere throw themselves and thier bikes under your cars.
And I dread to think what THAT will do for your license or insurance

sileath
28-06-10, 01:23 PM
Just one question........... why

daytona365
28-06-10, 03:47 PM
Its the drivers not the speed limits.

I agree, how many people drive like loonies, now that hte police cars have been replaced with cameras? Its ok to stick to the limit, but these plebs, dont look, the cars are old wrecks, they drunk, on drugs, but none of this is caught on camera.

We proper drivers are being picked on ,just like smokers were last decade. With the availability of camera phones we the public should be able to take pics of any illegal drivers and send them to the police.

I was nearly hit 3 times today, by plebs who werent looking, and you'd think you could see my ZS!

easytime
03-07-14, 01:59 PM
Can we get 5 year old stickies removed? Don't want to look dated!