PDA

View Full Version : kv6 supercharger

garymgzs180
09-03-09, 05:47 PM
does anybody know much about the sprintex supercharger kit. looking at buying one from someone i know (its brand new from sprintex ,latest spec). i have heard a lot of bad stories on some forums about the bearings failing and parts of the charger ruining the enging. does anybody know the full story. also the piggy back ecu that is supplied , is this remappable so tuning can be perfomed and who can do it i.e. superchips rolling road. the bearings are engine oil fed so do i use the standard grade oil. 5/30w or something thicker 10/40w . and does it need to be fully synthetic. thanks for any information.

Bobdope2002
09-03-09, 05:54 PM
are u signed up on xpf if u are speak to charger he is the man to talk to about the supercharger

Steves Cleenz
09-03-09, 09:55 PM
as above, they do need a better oil feed as the one supplied is crap, its also advisable to go standalone management as the piggy back ECU doesnt feed the 7th injector properly

Maxxed_Ross
11-03-09, 08:45 AM
Avoid like the black death... unless you have a substantial budget to get it up and running properly

As said speak to Charger on XPF, he seems to be just about the only guy still doing the supercharger for the V6 and has put alot of development time into getting it as close to right as possible

I still wouldn't have one though

Phate
11-03-09, 09:07 AM
Same/Similar gains can be made via NOS :)

ZS
11-03-09, 10:37 AM
Same/Similar gains can be made via NOS :)

But NOS is more noticable - Two HUGE bottles in the boot... :p

Personally I would love twin turbos on the V6... :D:D:clap:

Phate
11-03-09, 12:45 PM
If you can figure out where to put the turbos...:p

ZS
11-03-09, 12:50 PM
If you can figure out where to put the turbos...:p

IIRC the Supercharger gets rid of the plenum and VIS motors, a Turbo\Twin Turbo would also have to have the exhaust manifolds changed.... so would the turbo's not fit in the 'V' or with some fancy manifolds down the back and front of the engine? (I think there is enough room, especially with a few bits relocated slightly ;) )

Phate
11-03-09, 12:52 PM
Put it this way dude, if you could figure out where to put the turbos and what to modify you could earn yourself a VERY nice packet :)

ZS
11-03-09, 12:57 PM
Put it this way dude, if you could figure out where to put the turbos and what to modify you could earn yourself a VERY nice packet :)

If I had the Turbo's and relevant pipework, and my K1.8 running then I would do it :D

Phate
11-03-09, 01:02 PM
If I had the Turbo's and relevant pipework, and my K1.8 running then I would do it :D

Haha. When I'm a millionaire I'm going to look into it, a turbo'd KV6 would be epic to say the least.

ZS
11-03-09, 01:10 PM
Haha. When I'm a millionaire I'm going to look into it, a turbo'd KV6 would be epic to say the least.

Twin turbo would be better? (one on each side of the 'V'?)

Phate
11-03-09, 01:12 PM
Why not 6? One for each cylinder?

ZS
11-03-09, 02:02 PM
Why not 6? One for each cylinder?

Now thats being silly...

If you went for just a single turbo then I suggest you could leave the manifolds as they are (or just modify one) and modify the next join in the exhaust...

go for two and you modify both manifolds and put one turbo on each manifold.... If that makes sence.

Of course you would need to look into forged pistons etc...

Phate
11-03-09, 02:04 PM
Feel free ;)

afcbadam
11-03-09, 04:24 PM
i woukd love to turbo my kv6. how well im allowed to dream!

Supercharged_Z
12-03-09, 06:22 AM
Great Bit of kit if done right

Dave ZS-X
12-03-09, 02:39 PM
Huge amount of money for very little returns and still not proven imo.
Much better ways to go than a sc.

Dave

Bobdope2002
12-03-09, 03:30 PM

Dave

ang on isnt regy2 running 90bhp over a standard ZS180???

Dave ZS-X
12-03-09, 04:27 PM
who knows....????
george told me at combe in his opinion it was 250 ish which is good but you dont get any torque with it, and nothing else is touched or modified to handle the power. Your paying all that wonga for a bolt on part and some mapping.

Dave

Supercharged_Z
12-03-09, 05:05 PM
who knows....????
george told me at combe in his opinion it was 250 ish which is good but you dont get any torque with it, and nothing else is touched or modified to handle the power. Your paying all that wonga for a bolt on part and some mapping.

Dave

:mbounce:

250-260. does what it says on the tin if done right as per my previous post.

Maxxed_Ross
13-03-09, 12:43 PM
I've got some Nos for sale for much cheapness lol

Alan.F
13-03-09, 12:48 PM

Dave

Says the man thats paid £7k for 100bhp as it already had 200ish no offence m8 but thats how i see it

Dave ZS-X
13-03-09, 01:28 PM
Then your obviously not seeing things clearly.....lol

The actual cost was 6k drive in drive out, for that you get the engine supplied, re built with uprated rods and inlet and exhaust valves, new belts and gaskets, new baffled sump, full custom 3 inch turbo back exhaust by Blueflame, custom intercooler and boost pipes by pro alloy, custom engine mounts and steady bracket, new uprated clutch, gearbox
re build with steel cage bearings, new standalone ecu, new uprated fuel pump, custom induction, vag to pg1 engine to gearbox adaptor plate, custom flywheel etc etc ...i cant think of everything tbh but its a total build with everything uprated to take the power, my engine will go to 400 bhp just with a turbo swap.
The only extra was my turbo which i got at reduced price but considering i got 1500 quid for my kv6, exhaust, induction, seats etc then the whole job actually only cost me 4500 quid plus my turbo.
Now then......4500 quid wouldnt even get you a supercharger fitted with everything it needs to work properly, its going to work out at 5k + by the time youve paid for standalone and fitting and better injectors and fitting and then hopefully it will be reliable !!

So to summarise ....5k for a bolt on part giving 250 bhp and no torque gain and nothing else at all, no clutch, no gearbox mods, no exhaust, no nothing OR 4.5k plus a turbo for everthing ive listed above and then some and 50 more bhp than the charger and 140 ftlb more torque.

Yeah i see were your coming from now....

Not rflmao

Dave

stamford
13-03-09, 01:37 PM
Have to agree with Dave, he has recouped a far amount back so in essence it is more economical than the supercharger kit and more reliable with regards out of the box running. To get Ross's figures I guess the charger costs would be in addition to the other mods done to ensure it had that level of power, not forgetting to mention breathing and gearbox uprating etc.

Like for like there is probably not much in it costwise but I know where I would put my money and that is purely down to the engineering involved, design, shelf life, complete package and has nothing to do with history apart from the known issues and R&D taken to get where it is. The VAG conversion has more scope and capacity for development whereas the KV6 charged route is probably at it's limit due to the engines internals, but that is best guess.

ZS
13-03-09, 01:39 PM
I've got some Nos for sale for much cheapness lol

How cheap?

Dave ZS-X
13-03-09, 01:44 PM
good point.
The charger is probably near its limits at 250, i can buy an off the shelf kit for any level of power i want even up to 600 bhp if i so desire.
The audi engine is lighter gives better weight distribution, is more economical, its a much newer power plant purpose built for boost and tested in tens of thousands of cars around the world , the kv6 was not built for boost and it shows, the only r and d has been done on just one individual car in this country...

Not to mention the sheer amount of labour, design and work involved, my build was engine out gearbox out the full monty then design and build custom engine mounts etc, the supercharger just bolts on top of the existing engine and takes 1-2 days to complete maximum.
You just cant compare!!!

Dave

Supercharged_Z
14-03-09, 08:10 PM
for info the charger is nowhere near its limits @5psi. reving to 7k far from it.

but even i agree with dave over the costs, a shame to lose the KV6 but it is good value for money with what you get, shame it took 4 plus months, but part of that was waiting for a few things inc daves turbo.

How much was your turbo dave? for anybody wanting to do this conversion martin has said 6.5-7k plus the turbo you bought to get the full 300bhp

its worth bearing in mind that not many people would get 1500 quid back for there engine as theydont have what you have, in some instances 500 quid max, plus not many people will sell there seats etc

so vag zs= 7k -500 =6.5k tis a lot of money.

charger is probably 4.somthing k with a standalone that has traction control/launch etc etc. but yes no clutch or adapter plate. and prob limited to 280 ish bhp

Dave ZS-X
14-03-09, 08:26 PM
yeah it was some time in the making and id be dishonest if i said it didnt get me down a bit sometimes but it is a world first and as such absolutely everything is built bespoke. Martin could have built it much quicker if it was all he had to work on but his place is incredibly busy and now ive seen his work i realise why.
It was well worth the wait!! :super:

turbo didnt cost the earth, you send in your turbo on exchange and if its in good nic you get a lump knocked off and it was already reduced as well.

Dave

Supercharged_Z
14-03-09, 08:27 PM
yeah it was some time in the making and id be dishonest if i said it didnt get me down a bit sometimes but it is a world first and as such absolutely everything is built bespoke. Martin could have built it much quicker if it was all he had to work on but his place is incredibly busy and now ive seen his work i realise why.
It was well worth the wait!! :super:

turbo didnt cost the earth, you send in your turbo on exchange and if its in good nic you get a lump knocked off and it was already reduced as well.

Dave

not knocking the work, or even the time it took as good things take time, and nothing happens overnight.

stamford
15-03-09, 07:49 AM
These things do take time, I know, I built my V8 Chevette in 3 months working evenings and weekends. Alot of fabrication and machining of parts, not always working the first time. However mine was an easier job than Daves was purely because mine was not road legal so some corners could be cut.

A 1st off always takes time as you don't have a template or drawing to work from, everything is bespoke.

dowanm1
05-08-09, 03:44 PM
Isnt there anyone who could turbo charge the KV6 or even do a VR6 Turbo conversion???????????? :-)

RalphG
05-08-09, 03:54 PM
We could do you a T16 turbo conversion. :)

The KV6 isn't really suitable for turbocharging,mainly due to space restrictions. It can be supercharged, or it can quite happily take NOS.

arwilson80
05-08-09, 04:17 PM
Another option is a 2.0L VAG Turbo...

starfire039
05-08-09, 06:54 PM
with Dave on this one, you get so much more for your money, more power to push out of it, and i wouldn't trust rsm with my car after hearing many many bad things and horror stories.

However I wouldn't spend that much on a ZS, I'd buy a kit car if I was that fussed about power!

afcbadam
05-08-09, 08:11 PM
Isnt there anyone who could turbo charge the KV6 or even do a VR6 Turbo conversion???????????? :-)

a VR6 Turbo. seen/heard one of these at a car cruise, they sound the absolute nuts.

i would live to here a kv6 Turbo, but it couldnt be done in a zs. Maybe a kit car?

Bobdope2002
05-08-09, 08:14 PM
with Dave on this one, you get so much more for your money, more power to push out of it, and i wouldn't trust rsm with my car

dont agree with you on that

**Not getting into this debate again** - KevG

dowanm1
06-08-09, 06:52 AM
We could do you a T16 turbo conversion. :)

The KV6 isn't really suitable for turbocharging,mainly due to space restrictions. It can be supercharged, or it can quite happily take NOS.

So how much would this generally cost and what power outputs are you looking at? The only thing is my car has only done 38k..............

I would have thought a VR6 Turbo would fit as it only has one head doesnt it???????

RalphG
06-08-09, 02:03 PM
The price will depend upon a lot of factors. For example, The type of T series engine in the donor vehicle, whether the car being modified is a Mk1 or Mk2, whether you want a FMIC, how much power you want/level of boost, whether you will be sourcing all parts required, etc.

Dave ZS-X
06-08-09, 04:51 PM
the sheer cost of a vr6 conversion would be astronomical as it would mean gearbox exchange as well and that would mean drive shafts etc as nothing would fit without loads and loads of custom work.
The only sensible options are t series as it mounts straight to the gearbox you already have and the audi transplant as it also uses the gearbox we already have via adaptor plate, though the gearbox needs uprating with steel caged bearings if your going to run any serious power / torque through it with either engine.

Dave

Bobdope2002
06-08-09, 05:43 PM
just stating my oppinion kev thats all

grimmy
06-08-09, 09:52 PM
with Dave on this one, you get so much more for your money, more power to push out of it, and i wouldn't trust rsm with my car after hearing many many bad things and horror stories.

However I wouldn't spend that much on a ZS, I'd buy a kit car if I was that fussed about power!

dont agree with you on that

**Not getting into this debate again** - KevG

just stating my oppinion kev thats all
Thats fine mate but this crap really does not need to be dragged up again. let's keep it on topic and give the guy an answer to his question if you have one