PDA

View Full Version : first long run....

afcbadam
11-03-09, 04:27 PM
.....in my zs since i brought it. southampton to northampton and back. 240 mile round trip and it performed superbly :smile2:. didnt miss a beat. :smile2: a constant speed of 75-80 and still have a quater of a tank left. must have been pushing 30 mpg?

XPCobra
11-03-09, 04:54 PM
Not at all surprised, motorways where the zs is at its best :)

afcbadam
11-03-09, 06:36 PM

or around fast corners!

Phate
11-03-09, 06:38 PM

Errrm have you never been round a country lane?

afcbadam
11-03-09, 06:41 PM
i went around a long S shape bend earlier at 50mph and then floored it on my way out, and it simply didnt move. i love corners and country lanes like that. i have never been this confident in a car that is on standard suspension and brake's

stamford
11-03-09, 07:50 PM
One thing the ZS gives the driver and that is confidence, it is a superb drivers car with plenty of feedback and very little nervousness.

afcbadam
11-03-09, 08:00 PM
One thing the ZS gives the driver and that is confidence, it is a superb drivers car with plenty of feedback and very little nervousness.

100% agreed mick :yes:

TjP
11-03-09, 08:11 PM
Ditto. Only a few times have I gone beyond the limit of taction, but but in all occasions its been very easy to control - in fact very little input was required from me.

What I love to see if cars behind trying to keep up with me round corners... a look in the rear view mirrior often sees them understeering right across the other side of the road, or the back end getting skittish. All that when the Zed is barely breaking a sweat! They need to learn their cars just aint as good as a ZS :D

arwilson80
11-03-09, 08:49 PM
a few times have I gone beyond the limit of taction, but but in all occasions its been very easy to control - in fact very little input was required from me.

100% agree... been there 'just a few' times myself in the ZR & ZS. :whistle:

XPCobra
11-03-09, 09:41 PM
Errrm have you never been round a country lane?

Yes, in a few cars, as much as i love the zs wouldn't say it was really suited to country lanes.

Phate
11-03-09, 09:46 PM
Yes, in a few cars, as much as i love the zs wouldn't say it was really suited to country lanes.

Errm....I have to say I completely disagree with you there.

The car is MORE than suited to country lanes. I can outrun a lot of things on country lanes, the only thing that has been able to really keep up with me so far has been a Honda Integra DC2 Type R, and that was on a lane I didn't know.

Yes it's good on the motorway, but its not a wafter.

TjP
11-03-09, 09:46 PM
:hmmm: The ZS is probably one of the best handling FWD cars around... why would you keep it on the motorway?? :)

talkingcars
11-03-09, 09:47 PM

I driven many cars around the local area country roads, especially when I was a driver for the local VW/Audi dealers, my ZS is up there with the very best of them (although my MG metro and my R114 were both quite good).

I prefer my 180 on the lanes to my wifes ZR160.

p_b82
12-03-09, 01:54 PM
for the brief while i had my car before i broke it before xmas, i was playing with the new power i got out of it, and was going down some nice country roads near bristol...

left a mini cooper for dead round the corners, and i know he was trying as every time we got to a straight bit he would be 2mm from my back bumper... but just could not stay with me when i threw the car at the corner without touching the brakes...

Dont think he was expecting it to do that, the ATB may have helped some-what there ;)

the ony, downside with it being such a nice car to drive is the adversion it has for potholes, i have developed a 6th sense to avoid them, and on raod i know have learnt where anything that makes it crash a bit is and drive round it lol

XPCobra
13-03-09, 05:04 PM
I'm not 100% confident with the rear of the zs, had it step out a few times, however i'm not really into going mental on country lanes/roads.

However this is just my opinion :)

have drove a scoob ( 2000 P1 ) and loved the awd system, gives a gradual feel to the rear end slipping out, rather than Aaaaarggghhhh! foot down more and full lock the other way :p

Again different class of car

and again just my opinion.

ian zs180
14-03-09, 04:38 PM
The zs does handle superb i have thrown mine around a few times and it just takes it all in its stride no hairy moments just handles great ... Tiff neddle once said its one of the best front wheel drive cars he has driven ,that just goes to show how good the zs is on handling .

Phate
14-03-09, 04:55 PM
I'm not 100% confident with the rear of the zs, had it step out a few times, however i'm not really into going mental on country lanes/roads.

However this is just my opinion :)

have drove a scoob ( 2000 P1 ) and loved the awd system, gives a gradual feel to the rear end slipping out, rather than Aaaaarggghhhh! foot down more and full lock the other way :p

Again different class of car

and again just my opinion.

Get the tracking/geo done on the car and some decent rubber. My back end used to step out is pushing it, got some decent rubber on it and had the tracking done (which was way out) and I have to be REALLY pushing it for it to do it now :smile2:

TjP
14-03-09, 04:57 PM
The zs does handle superb i have thrown mine around a few times and it just takes it all in its stride no hairy moments just handles great ... Tiff neddle once said its one of the best front wheel drive cars he has driven ,that just goes to show how good the zs is on handling .

Yeah I watched this on youtube. ZS 180 agianst a Clio 172 (or was it a 182?) and a Civic Type R. Very proud moment even though the Zed came last (bit staged maybe?).

afcbadam
14-03-09, 06:21 PM
well i worked out the mpg i got on that run and she returned 31mpg. not bad fro a 3.5k rpm average. im sure i would get a few more if i kept it below 3k rpm

XPCobra
14-03-09, 07:25 PM
Get the tracking/geo done on the car and some decent rubber. My back end used to step out is pushing it, got some decent rubber on it and had the tracking done (which was way out) and I have to be REALLY pushing it for it to do it now :smile2:

have toyo t1r's all round, and i personally laser tracked it. has new trailing arm bushes too.

Anyway country roads just arent my thing, uneven surfaces, potholes, grounding out, not many accidents, AND my brothers friend died yesterday, went right into a tree on his way back from oban, shame met him 2 weeks back in sea, seemed alrite :(

XPCobra
14-03-09, 07:26 PM
well i worked out the mpg i got on that run and she returned 31mpg. not bad fro a 3.5k rpm average. im sure i would get a few more if i kept it below 3k rpm

I've never measured my mpg, but i'd think 31 mpg is pretty good!?

afcbadam
14-03-09, 09:11 PM
yea im very pleased with that. worked out at 291 miles to 43 litres of fuel. brim to brim test.