PDA

View Full Version : cheap piece of sh*te

Smokey
15-08-07, 01:00 PM
well decided today to paint my calipers so got my jack out of the boot (still sealed) and got to work lifting the car. No problem there. Then I loosened 3 of the bold on the first wheel but when I got to the last one, the hexagon shape has now worn round. Who the f@$* designs a tool to remove a metal bolt using a metal that is softer?!?! Now I'm filthy and have nothing to show for it. Thank christ I haven't had a flat as this would have left me up sh*t creek. Am not happy plus where am I going to but another one without replacing the set
Rant over for now but not best pleased!:shutup: :mad:

sduk
15-08-07, 03:45 PM
can a larger allen key style tool not fit over it? might need to be either tried by a garage to loosen it and then worst case, drilled out.

arwilson80
15-08-07, 03:52 PM
Not 100% sure what piece you are saying got worn round, but now you can get a good set of McGuard ones.... ;)

sduk
15-08-07, 04:35 PM
think its the wheel nut adaptor, to remove it that is worn?

Shafz
15-08-07, 04:41 PM
whack a socket over the nut if your key is bold :P

although you can buy proper nut removal tools of ebay

sduk
15-08-07, 04:42 PM
you can buy proper nut removal tools of ebay

that sounds sore :D

stamford
15-08-07, 05:52 PM
that sounds sore :D

:offtopic: Wasn't there a story in the currant bun last week about a bloke that did that?, meat and 2 veg gone with a kitchen knife!

Those removal tools are a real SOB when they have gone 'off'

lukiep160
15-08-07, 06:41 PM
new mcguard locking wheel nut tools can be got from any rover dealer, they have a master key set incase you don't have the wheel nut tool number.
And yes the tools are ****e

Smokey
15-08-07, 10:39 PM
lol come back to all this banter lol, cheered me up. But no its just the actual tool to remove then so will need to get one from halfords tomorrow, still pee'd off though since the one in my punto is rock solid!

StevieA ZS120
15-08-07, 10:47 PM
ive got the same problem with my lensos you would expect decent quality when you spend over a grand for alloys but i also had a problem with the oe ones when i had my zr

The Phantom
16-08-07, 01:03 PM
new mcguard locking wheel nut tools can be got from any rover dealer, they have a master key set incase you don't have the wheel nut tool number.
And yes the tools are ****e

Not as sh*te as the old ones on a Mk1.

That was a smooth cylinder with a key cut in to the side. Only problem was the remover was made from a piece of wire soldered to the inside of a smooth cup.

After one wheel was removed you were luck to get a second wheel off. I went through 3 of them in time I had the MK1.

That was even with refitting the nuts finger tight and a quarter turn.

Smokey
16-08-07, 01:41 PM
well now I bought a replacement from halfords (much better) I have discovered the jack is just as sh*t. The loop that the metal bar goes through is now bent and makes it almost impossible to turn. Got my punto one out and no problems with it!!
Anyhoo finished the job and new topic created....

lewerty
16-08-07, 01:47 PM
i had a problem with mine, so went to my local halfords to get some mcgaurd ones first set didnt fit, ordered a second set different code still didnt fit ordered there 3rd set they didnt fit either so went to the old mg place and just ordered same:(

KevG
16-08-07, 03:57 PM
I had this problem when I got my car at first, the teeth in the key broke off, I got the master from the dealer and it done the same thing, I got them taken off by the dealer with crocodile socket, they ordered me another set but I just left them in the bag and went up to my local ford parts place and got a set from them, and that was 3 years ago, and no problems.

lukiep160
16-08-07, 05:33 PM
I've used ford ones on one car as thats what the customer supplied and i must admit they are a lot better