PDA

View Full Version : A steer in the right direction

mikesezgreen
19-03-09, 11:17 PM
I bought a new leather steering wheel earlier and was wondering how difficult they are to change?

Will i need a special adapter or will a reguler socket set be okay?:hmmm:

I know there are threads in the how too section about changing the airbag but i'm a bit of an ameteur when it comes to working on the zed...:look:

p_b82
20-03-09, 11:32 AM
i have not done it myself, but i have wheel sitting waiting for my car to return home to do... assuming it is a ZS\45 wheel.. the TF or ZR ones dont quite fit

haynes book of lies does not mention any special tools, so it is just a case of make sure everything is straight.. disconnect airbag and undo the screws\bolts pull it off, and then slide the new on in its place carefully and refit opposite of removal :)

RalphG
20-03-09, 12:14 PM
You need an Allen key for the airbag screws (discharge system for at least 15 minutes) and a wheel brace, or similar sized socket, for the main steering wheel nut.

The ZR and TF wheels will physically fit in place, but they will be further down the spline and the indicators will not automatically cancel correctly.

dave87
20-03-09, 12:24 PM
if you fit a ZR/TF wheel without some adapter ring to make sure the wheel sits in the correct position on the spline you will never get it off.

TjP
20-03-09, 01:24 PM
If its a leather ZS wheel it should swap over fine, just make sure to disconnect the battery and leave it for 15+ mins before you start (lest the airbag go off in your face!) and also park the car with the wheels perfectly straight.

If its a TF wheel, you'll need an adapter. I put mine on without the adapter at first, drove around a bit then noticed the indicators werent cancelling and then remembered the adapter which was in the packaging I had thrown in the bin! As above, it took a few mins pulling to get the ****** back off!

rbull51
20-03-09, 01:25 PM
I changed my steering wheel a while ago for a lovely black / yellow one. It was for the zs and it was very easy to change. As mentioned before, disconnect the battery and leave for about 15 mins, then behind the steering wheel there is 2 torx type screws holding the airbag in. Undo them and disconnect the air bag. Then just undo the main nut and swap!

mikesezgreen
20-03-09, 06:01 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=110335879807

Cheers for the input guy's (yet again a great help)...i posted the link to the steering wheel...it seems to be the one for the ZS as i've noticed the TF one is smaller (although nicer) i just didn't fancy mucking about with cutting the bottom...lazzzzy..lol

afcbadam
20-03-09, 06:11 PM
i brought and fitted the exact same wheel. fitted perfectly and quickly. makes a very nice difference over the standard one.