PDA

View Full Version : It deserves its own thread...

Phate
24-03-09, 08:08 PM
Well I went down to Ralph and the guys this morning....and left with the car looking and sounding like this...

http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/xorst.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcuxbrq6wic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSzbcWuYTyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg63w1_aW0o

Full Janspeed exhaust system including:

Manifolds
Decat
Catback
Backbox

few other bits and pieces...

I'm very pleased, car definately has more umph, should be about 195bhp now :) ...the sound is so addictive :D

Anyway, enjoy

EDIT: My crap video camera makes it seem like the exhaust is very drony and annoying at low speeds, it's not at all.

Maxfly
24-03-09, 08:11 PM
Very nice mate and sounds rather good even wi the crap camera lol :)

arwilson80
24-03-09, 08:12 PM
It takes a while to 'coke up' and sounds even better when it does.

Best of it has yet to come... ;)

shroonie29
24-03-09, 08:13 PM
That sounds sweet as mate :)

Shroon

TjP
24-03-09, 08:14 PM
Those in-car videos... my god. Im jealous!

Time to start browsing insurance companies to see if I can get a decat earlier than October...

Bobdope2002
24-03-09, 08:16 PM
that dunna sound to bad lol

does changin the manifolds alter the sound of the exhaust, because id dread to think how much better mine would sound

Nor
24-03-09, 08:18 PM
Sounds good mate :)

Jay-ZS+
24-03-09, 08:42 PM
That sounds lush mate think id spend the hole time with my foor on the gas with that. How much did it all set you back if you dont mind the ask? What about the emissions come mot?

Phate
24-03-09, 08:46 PM
That sounds lush mate think id spend the hole time with my foor on the gas with that. How much did it all set you back if you dont mind the ask? What about the emissions come mot?

Errm...price....it was a lot, but I've been saving for it for a while. I originally spoke to Ralph about it back in October!!! :D

Basically it was £1300, but that included everything (as well as fitting)

Err....emissions wont be a problem come MOT time.

Phate
24-03-09, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I love it. Now to save up for that poxy cambelt :(

Maxfly
24-03-09, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I love it. Now to save up for that poxy cambelt :(

ooh, booo!! That time for your car eh:) think lates might be near enough to you, he is supposed to be excellent and well priced:) he is on .org i think:)

Bobdope2002
24-03-09, 08:53 PM
personally id go to RSM and spend £750 on cams and belts makes better sense to me as thats what ill be doing late this year or as and when things work wise get beter

Phate
24-03-09, 08:54 PM
Yeah I did see about RSM offering that...we'll see when I have the money. :)

Phate
24-03-09, 08:55 PM
ooh, booo!! That time for your car eh:) think lates might be near enough to you, he is supposed to be excellent and well priced:) he is on .org i think:)

lol it should've been done before the exhaust tbh...but ears over head was the case lol :shutup:

shroonie29
24-03-09, 09:02 PM
personally id go to RSM and spend £750 on cams and belts makes better sense to me as thats what ill be doing late this year or as and when things work wise get beter

makes perfect sense IMO mate

Shroon

stamford
24-03-09, 09:25 PM
I'm surprised you've found time to post! Sweet matey :D

mikesezgreen
24-03-09, 09:36 PM
I was chuffed when i fitted my induction kit to my 120 but that noise takes the mick!!!

nice exhaust fella...v. v. nice.

Phate
24-03-09, 09:39 PM
I'm surprised you've found time to post! Sweet matey :D

only for you! :kiss:

Gazza
24-03-09, 10:55 PM
Sounding very nice mate:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nor
25-03-09, 12:10 AM
Did you tie the camera to the passenger headrest? :)

Phate
25-03-09, 12:19 AM
Not so much tie....more of a wedge :D

ZS
25-03-09, 06:53 AM
Errm...price....it was a lot, but I've been saving for it for a while. I originally spoke to Ralph about it back in October!!! :D

Basically it was £1300, but that included everything (as well as fitting)

Err....emissions wont be a problem come MOT time.

If the Exhaust is louder than OE you WILL fail the MOT under new Government Guidelines released last month...

Mind you it really is up to the "ear" of the guy testing your car, so see if you can find a deaf MOT tester... ;)

stevelou5
25-03-09, 06:55 AM
thats sounds really good mate!!! wish I could get me diesel tank to sound like that...lol

ZS
25-03-09, 06:58 AM
thats sounds really good mate!!! wish I could get me diesel tank to sound like that...lol

Phil (a mate of mine down here) got H&S to custom build a manifold back system onto his Diesel 115... sounded bloody awsome! ;)

stamford
25-03-09, 07:19 AM
If the Exhaust is louder than OE you WILL fail the MOT under new Government Guidelines released last month...

Mind you it really is up to the "ear" of the guy testing your car, so see if you can find a deaf MOT tester... ;)

I'd be interested in how they can judge that, mine went through this month with Janspeed and decat, they said it was noisey but nothing mentioned about it being a possible failure.

ZS
25-03-09, 07:21 AM
I'd be interested in how they can judge that, mine went through this month with Janspeed and decat, they said it was noisey but nothing mentioned about it being a possible failure.

"VOSA said the law has or is about to change so that if an exhaust is louder than the OE one it will fail an MOT. They used to test at idle but will now test at idle and fast idle - the same speeds as the emission tests.
It used to be that if the exhaust 'unreasonably loud' it would fail now it is just if it is louder than OE."

I think the wording is something like 'sounds louder than a similar aged car with an OE exhaust in average condition' The way it is worded seems to suggest that it will be done by ear rather than actually measuring the decibels

stevelou5
25-03-09, 07:26 AM
Phil (a mate of mine down here) got H&S to custom build a manifold back system onto his Diesel 115... sounded bloody awsome! ;)

That would be great have a tank sound good....lol :clap2:

stamford
25-03-09, 07:34 AM
That will ****** quite a few modified cars then, not just the road ones but those that are road legal but used on track. Does this mean that some cars will need to fit cans then come MOT time? But what happens after the MOT? I can see the rozzers working overtime stopping anything that seems louder than OE. Then the MOT station will get a visit. This is going to cause untold problems as insurance companies know of the mods and have a comprehensive list of things that can be changed. If this is the case, then all insurance companies will have to ban all exhaust modifications to ensure they do not get penalised as well, after all they are allowing it by covering it in the policy.

If this is the case, then we ought to buy TVRs and cause mayhem as they are loud enough OE!

Just thought, what about the rally cars that travel on public roads between stages? :hmmm: does that mean homologated vehicles are immune?

ZS
25-03-09, 07:38 AM
Thinking of turning the ZS into a Rally car? lol

I want to know how they know what my Landrover (1963) should sound like OE... :D:D

chriszs180
25-03-09, 08:49 AM
anyone got more info on this as my exhaust is a lot louder than oe
even when it has a cat put back on...

TjP
25-03-09, 08:52 AM
Yeah I was about ready to change my insurance and get a decat! But if Im going to have to change it all back after a week then obviously thats gonna kill it!

I dont think the government like people having any fun :(

arwilson80
25-03-09, 09:41 AM

I'd hate to get a jobsworth on a Fri afternoon at 17:00 who has a bad day then...

How will they know what OE sounds like anyway?

I view this as an infringment of my civil liberties / human rights :fishing: :laugh:

afcbadam
25-03-09, 02:41 PM
hope no speed limits were broken. lol. sounds mint jake

Zoolicious
25-03-09, 03:14 PM
Finally, someone made it to post up some janspeed videos!
Sounds spot on!

ZS180V6
25-03-09, 03:54 PM
Nice one.

Sounds great...

I bet your well pleased.........

SharronB
25-03-09, 04:41 PM
Sound's really good! :D

Jay-ZS+
25-03-09, 04:58 PM

They cant be serious!! That would cause problems for so many people just sat here now reading this and there must have been 6-7 cars go past my house with louder than oe exhausts!!

Murray203ps
25-03-09, 05:12 PM
Sounds awesome Phate. No way your going to pass the loudness test at Brands now. That sounds louder than mine and mine was bang on the limit........Ok maybe just over.:joker:

peterzs
25-03-09, 09:24 PM
Was worth the wait, sounds Awwwwsommmme,

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::bow::bow:

stamford
25-03-09, 09:27 PM
I must admit when I got my dB reading I was surprised it was only 92! I'm sure it was higher than that the last time I checked it, Murray you were lucky +1 over!

Phate
26-03-09, 12:45 AM
Yeh sound tests should be interesting....might be slightly lower in the revs :whistle:

My bro said to me today it sounds like a touring car :D

However, the car definately needs a remap now, I'm fairly sure its running too lean due to the map not being compatable. I'll bed the xorst in and see about a remap next week :)

ZS180V6
26-03-09, 06:30 AM
Yeh sound tests should be interesting....might be slightly lower in the revs :whistle:

My bro said to me today it sounds like a touring car :D

However, the car definately needs a remap now, I'm fairly sure its running too lean due to the map not being compatable. I'll bed the xorst in and see about a remap next week :)

Hi mate,

If you find somewhere fairly local let me know.

I may join you and they can do them both ...

I was going to go to a RR with the Vec C owners club and take my MG along instead but that's not until May..

Phate
26-03-09, 10:59 AM
Ok awesome dude, gonna be looking into it today :)