PDA

View Full Version : police laser guns

afcbadam
04-04-09, 07:11 PM
do they have to have signs up when using one. may have been caughtto day. didnt see any warnings of it. how long does the ticket come through? fingers crossed the barstards didnt get me.

and they say its not a money making thing. SCUM

Murray203ps
04-04-09, 07:29 PM
Don't think they need to have signs up for the mobile guns and you should see something drop on your doorstep in roughly 3-4 weeks if they got you. Thats how long mine took to come through.:noexpression:

markyzs180
04-04-09, 07:59 PM
Don't think they need to have signs up for the mobile guns and you should see something drop on your doorstep in roughly 3-4 weeks if they got you. Thats how long mine took to come through.:noexpression:

you should have just thrown it in the bin then murray...it has to arrive within 14 days of the offence, if it arrives after 14 days it is null and void.

keep your fingers crossed!!! was it a man with a gun or was it a mobile van? if it was a van it may well have just been doing vehicle checks (tax mot etc)

afcbadam
04-04-09, 08:03 PM
A pig with a gun. pointed it at me and as soon as i was passed he looked at it.

markyzs180
04-04-09, 08:10 PM
A pig with a gun. pointed it at me and as soon as i was passed he looked at it.

oh man....just keep everything crossed kiddo...how much over do you think you were???

Yampiedog
04-04-09, 08:11 PM
you should have just thrown it in the bin then murray...it has to arrive within 14 days of the offence, if it arrives after 14 days it is null and void.

keep your fingers crossed!!! was it a man with a gun or was it a mobile van? if it was a van it may well have just been doing vehicle checks (tax mot etc)

Not strictly correct, 14 days from the day the driver is identified. For example, it was your car and someone else was driving, they send the keeper (you) the NIP. You reply saying who was driving and then they have 14 days from when that reply was sent back and then they send the NIP to that person and so on. That could go on for six months (might even be 12 months for speeding offences, can't be sure) but after that the time limit for prosecution has expired.

oidicko
04-04-09, 08:14 PM
1) Signs don't need to be near where the speed gun is used. It can be used anywhere that complaints are received or local knowledge indicates speed or accidents are a problem.
2) You should receive a notice of intended prosecution within 14 days, or at least the registered keeper will receive it within that time limit.
3) If it was a man in a van you will have to be within 10% plus 2mph of the speed limit, these are government guidelines..... if it was a traffic cop with a gun on his own then he may be working well over that restriction, for example he may let you get away with 15mph over the limit. It will be up to his discretion depending upon time of day/weather/traffic conditions or location, or even a mixture of the aforementioned.

markyzs180
04-04-09, 08:15 PM
Not strictly correct, 14 days from the day the driver is identified. For example, it was your car and someone else was driving, they send the keeper (you) the NIP. You reply saying who was driving and then they have 14 days from when that reply was sent back and then they send the NIP to that person and so on. That could go on for six months (might even be 12 months for speeding offences, can't be sure) but after that the time limit for prosecution has expired.

oh, ok then......but adam was driving!!

afcbadam
04-04-09, 08:21 PM
oh man....just keep everything crossed kiddo...how much over do you think you were???

proberly 10-15mph over when i saw him. as soon as i did i immediatly hit the brakes so may have been a few mph less.
to busy looking at him to see how fast i was going and what i had slowed down to.

TjP
04-04-09, 08:22 PM
The thing I hate is where the place themselves when they do this. Every time I see the vans theyre on the outskirts of town, just inside the speed limit zone, which usually means theres not really any reason to be doing 30mph (no or few houses etc,) other than the fact they put a sign up... perfectly SAFE to be doing 40mph even.

And the fact that they put signs warning of cameras is a JOKE, because they put them EVERYWHERE and theres only ever a van around once in a blue moon, so everybody ignores the signs if its one of your local routes. They know this, ofcourse, but they think to use it as a justification to the fairness of the system. Complete BS.

afcbadam
04-04-09, 08:26 PM
mine was tucked away behind a tight corner. i wouldnt have been able to see him untill i was on his toes even if i was walking. i didnt even see his police car. he had parked it out of sight. no wonder the barstards get a bad name. most hated people in the world.

oidicko
04-04-09, 08:30 PM
Most police areas are reducing fixed site cameras and increasing the use of the vans. As previously mentioned they are normally sited at areas of regular complaint. These can be light or heavily residential areas, it matters not as long as there is a local authority speed restriction. One thing to note is.... do you ever see a camera van on a national speed limit?

afcbadam
04-04-09, 08:31 PM
Most police areas are reducing fixed site cameras and increasing the use of the vans. As previously mentioned they are normally sited at areas of regular complaint. These can be light or heavily residential areas, it matters not as long as there is a local authority speed restriction. One thing to note is.... do you ever see a camera van on a national speed limit?

no! its easier to get people just over the limit in towns and quiet roads.

arwilson80
04-04-09, 08:57 PM
do you ever see a camera van on a national speed limit?

rarely, but i can see it getting more common if they succeed in getting the national speed limit reduced to 50! :rant:

TjP
04-04-09, 09:01 PM
They'll be tracking our speed by GPS systems fitted to our cars next, and issuing automatic fines. But then of course people would actually start sticking to the limits and they wouldnt make as much money, so maybe not... :)

stamford
04-04-09, 09:02 PM
I regularly see guns pointing up a main road that is very wide, very long, has a bus lane on both sides and enough room for 3 lanes each side and that is a 30 limit It is totally daft and in the five years I have used this road since the bus lanes were completed I could count on one hand how many buses I have seen use it! Even the buses do over 40 and undertake cars doing 35!

Most mobile units I have come across have been unjustified in their positions, not built up areas or pedestrianised, just an ability to catch people breaking the limit when the road is over restricted.

grimmy
04-04-09, 09:37 PM
If you were speeding and get done then tough it's the law, money generating or not they are doing their job and words like pigs and bastards in my opinion are a bit out of order.If you do get a N.I.P then suck it up like the rest of us,you broke the law whether they were being sneaky or not.

oidicko
04-04-09, 09:38 PM
Hope that the national limit doesn't come down to 50 in my lifetime!

I know that if people make enough representations with respect to lowering speed limits it can make local authority change them. Perhaps wherever you live a petition could be started to increase the limit?

Just a thought!

stamford
04-04-09, 10:09 PM
Nice idea, but can you honestly see a speed limit being increased? never in our lifetime! The do gooders out there would prefer a total stop. Our city streets have blanket 20mph zones, a right pain but have you ever seen a taxi getting pulled?

afcbadam
05-04-09, 08:58 AM
If you were speeding and get done then tough it's the law, money generating or not they are doing their job and words like pigs and bastards in my opinion are a bit out of order.If you do get a N.I.P then suck it up like the rest of us,you broke the law whether they were being sneaky or not.

CALM DOWN ! just voiceing my opinion. like im sure you have done in the past. in my opionion they are scumbags, its a money making scheme and they do nothing to help the public. a total waste of space if you ask me. they are ofter seen speeding themselves. i followed a marked focus up the motorway about a year ago at 110mph. no lights or siren.

go and do a proper job, stop trying to get speeders who are an easy target and go and get rapists and muggers and people who are abusing little kids ect. or are they just admitting they are not good enough to do that, thats why they get their convictions through motorists.

the police are the most hated people in the world. the most disrespectful and the most disrespected.

my personal opionion.

edmo
05-04-09, 09:49 AM
i have just moved to germany and the driving out here is so different to the UK. i hate coming back now. its about 32 mph inside town or village limits but as soon as you clear it the speed is 65 mph unless listed. everyone knows about the autobahns having no limit. perfect country for letting the zs loose! no bastids sitting in the middle lane on the motorway over here either, unless they are brits that is

starfire039
05-04-09, 11:49 AM
I nearly got done on the way to work, there was a road that comes out of a 30 zone into an open wide road which eventually becomes a 40, no driveways, no pedestrians no nothing but its still 30 and i was doing 35 and a copper was hiding round the corner, but i slowed down in time.

i have no objections to them doing their job and the law is the law, but what annoys me is trying to get 60 quid out of me when i'm not causing any danger on the way to work to earn THEIR wages, when they should be goign round to benefit theives houses, or maybe going to the person who got done for multiple burglaries in my area, my hosue was burgled at the time, and add another burglery charge to the scumbags list of felonys

i have lived in the same area all my life and i have never ever heard of an accident where that camera was. there are two schools less than a 2 minute drive from that area, one of which is a primary school, they should be there not in the middle of nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!

end of rant

peterzs
05-04-09, 04:05 PM
Coming out of Salisbury, Friday, driving a 7.5 ton hire van with a tail lift, after dropping some mowers and things off at an auction, guess what? A police van, round a bend on the A338, where it used to be 40 now 30. The van in front hit the brakes and so did I we were both doing about 34 so I hope the speed got off in time.

As some one said we shouldnt be over the limit, but the modern cars and trucks make it difficult to stay at 30, I know the Iveco went fast. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

By the next meey Adam we should know the results.:innocent::innocent::innocent:

afcbadam
05-04-09, 04:08 PM
that meet should be arranged soon pete!

peterzs
05-04-09, 04:13 PM
that meet should be arranged soon pete!

Like, before we lose our licences???:clap::clap::clap:

Jay-ZS+
05-04-09, 04:29 PM
the police are the most hated people in the world. the most disrespectful and the most disrespected.

my personal opionion.

I do believe your forgetting the tax man and parking wardens! lol :chair:

afcbadam
05-04-09, 04:46 PM
I do believe your forgetting the tax man and parking wardens! lol :chair:

no im not jay. but they are next

markoos08
05-04-09, 05:00 PM
proberly 10-15mph over when i saw him. as soon as i did i immediatly hit the brakes so may have been a few mph less.
to busy looking at him to see how fast i was going and what i had slowed down to.

Fair bet that you may already have been caught whether you slowed down or not if it was a laser cam as they have a fairly long range.Slowing down wouldn't have made a difference.

afcbadam
05-04-09, 05:05 PM
Fair bet that you may already have been caught whether you slowed down or not if it was a laser cam as they have a fairly long range.Slowing down wouldn't have made a difference.

yea i know. just a reaction. he was on a corner of a bend so fingers crossed he didnt get me untill i saw him. he wouldnt have been able to see me untill i say him

arwilson80
05-04-09, 11:07 PM
Lets not have this get into a 'police bashing' thread...

...and i would also point out that there are a number of serving officers on here who would disagree with what already has been said.

Andyf
06-04-09, 04:11 AM

Agreed

CALM DOWN ! just voiceing my opinion. like im sure you have done in the past. in my opionion they are scumbags, its a money making scheme and they do nothing to help the public. a total waste of space if you ask me. they are ofter seen speeding themselves. i followed a marked focus up the motorway about a year ago at 110mph. no lights or siren.

go and do a proper job, stop trying to get speeders who are an easy target and go and get rapists and muggers and people who are abusing little kids ect. or are they just admitting they are not good enough to do that, thats why they get their convictions through motorists.

my personal opionion.

I find your opion ill informed. If you actually knew what the police dealt with you might change your views.

People like you annoy me, you get caught doing something wrong then blame everybody but yourself, "It's a money making scheme" "We are easy targets"
If you weren't speeding you wouldn't be helping this money making scheme would you? Also the police do not benefit from the revenue raised and usually do speed enforcements at sites where the public themselves have complained that people speed in that area.

I like the way you stated that you followed a marked car up the motorway at 110mph, so you think it's OK for you to drive at those speeds? I often don't put my blue lights on if there is no need, you don't know what that car was doing.It may have been trying to catch up with another car without wanting to alert it of it's presence. I guess it was doing something because if some idiot was following me at 110mph I would have stopped them and done them for speeding.

As for saying the police are "scumbags", "a waste of space" and "do nothing to help the public" i'm sure the families of those who have been killed on the roads would disagree. I'd like to see you deliver a death message or sit with a family as they identify the (often disfigured) body of a loved one, but then I guess you will never have to do this as unlike me you have a 'proper job'.

As for your (very original) "should be out catching rapists and muggers" comment I think you will find that we have departments like CID who deal with those offences. I fail to see how doing speed enforcement is admitting we aren't good enough to catch them.

You might not think that speeding is an issue and that you can drive perfectly safely at what ever speed you fancy but you are wrong. Every accident I attend I am sure that the person driving didn't think they were going to crash as otherwise they wouldn't have been driving so fast.

You may be the best driver in the world but sadly others aren't so good, do you not want the police to be catching them to reduce the chance of them ploughing in to your car?

You may have been caught speeding, take responsibilty for your own actions and stop having a go at the police, it's your own stupid fault.

That's my personal opion.

stamford
06-04-09, 07:34 AM
Good post Andy, I agree with the content and it should not have come to this.

My daughter was assaulted some time ago and the Police did a stirling job through the whole process, unfortunately the ******* was never caught but not without trying.

At times I would moan about the Police (normally regarding mobile traps in daft places) but that is purely a selfish thing and they are just doing their job. If I ever got caught speeding then I would just have to accept it as I should have known better.

My other daughter had her second stop check Saturday evening, nothing wrong there, all was okay. I said to her they must have had a valid reason to pull you, she did admit to exiting the petrol station a little irratically.

midcuk
06-04-09, 08:24 AM
simple fact is dont speed and you wont get fined its the law. it does appear to be a bit of a lottery though and its not if but when you get done.
however anyone that states it is not a money making venture are totally talking out of their @ss , its so blatently an easy way to make money for the government it makes me laugh when they try to prove it is not !.

peterzs
06-04-09, 08:40 AM
Hi Adam

Hows Bournemouth doing.:hooray::hooray:

4-0 not bad, cheer you up a bit.

arwilson80
06-04-09, 08:59 AM
i followed a marked focus up the motorway about a year ago at 110mph. no lights or siren.

Not to 'nit picky' but you do reaslise that you have openly admitted to speeding (which you haven't been convicted for)... and i'm sure that it could be used as evidence (AFAIK) against you if the right person reads it.

Fudgepacker
06-04-09, 10:15 AM

my personal opionion.

at the end of the day the limit is for a reason we have a camera van near us for the fact that a school is around the corner and how would you feel if some one walked out in front of you. you have no chance of stoping and the kid will be dead have that on your mind i got cought speeding and i done my coarse and the stuff they show you on impact of a child is discusting makes you wanna be sick think your self lucky oh and i know loads of police and andyf on this site is one of them at the end of the day you were doing wrong and they are trying to save lives

KevG
06-04-09, 12:57 PM
Infraction given against afcbadam

Thread Closed