PDA

View Full Version : Does your other half moan about how you drive

Jem
07-04-09, 08:05 PM
Kel hates it when i miss a gear,3rd gear miss 4th straight into 5th,I admit i have picked up some bad habbits over the years,I seem to be driving less and less kel drives alot.

talkingcars
07-04-09, 08:12 PM
Sorry, do I understand that your "other half" moans when you block change?
And you think it is a bad habit to block change?
Block changing, done properly is the more advanced way to drive!

And to answer your question, no, my wife loves my driving, my car, her car, any car......
I can only think of a couple of times were she has been at all bothered.

stamford
07-04-09, 08:12 PM
No, I never get moaned at, if I did I would drive faster ;) (within the limit of course)

Jem
07-04-09, 08:17 PM
Ive allways been told skipping gears is a nono?

She has only been driving for a couple of years so she hasn't picked up any bad habbits yet.When i say moan its not really moaning just telling me off lol

No, I never get moaned at, if I did I would drive faster ;) (within the limit of course)

Along time ago this happened to me a ex was moaning at me,We had a argument so she was just trying to pee me off,So i put foot to the pedal,And i dont know how it happened i was going down a hill the car lost it and spun sideways,Aiming for a wall so i managed to turn it back on the right side of the road,But it was still at a angle i took out out three stone bins a small bench,I made a nice paint mark down the wall of a big hotel,I was lucky with that.

stevelou5
07-04-09, 08:21 PM
"Does your other half moan about how you drive"

Hell yeah....lol only when I am in a hurry!!!! :-)

talkingcars
07-04-09, 08:26 PM
If you reach your cruising speed in 3rd why use 4th?

We have several LGV lorries that have manual gearboxes but have computer controlled clutch and gear change, they are programmed to block change!

When slowing down you should block change, do all your braking in the gear you are in and then select the gear you need.

Jem
07-04-09, 08:29 PM
Yea i know you should block change when slowing down,But never knew it was ok to do it when you are going up the gears.

I must admit i do get lazy when driving at times.

talkingcars
07-04-09, 08:38 PM
Block changing up is okay, when I was a driving instructor I used to teach it to my better pupils.

Lazy is taking rounderbouts in 5th because there is so much torque to pull you through which of course I never do.........much.

shroonie29
07-04-09, 09:09 PM
I block change all the time.Why use an extra gear when it isn't needed?

Shroon

afcbadam
07-04-09, 09:14 PM
been a gas man im always driving a 3.3 tonne van so have picked up many bad habbits. she sometimrs tells me off...... and she hasnt even got a licence

arwilson80
07-04-09, 10:01 PM
Nope... She's 3500 miles away... :whistle:

The few times she has been in the car with me she never said a word. Not even when i 'took off' over a series of 3 'yumps'!

shroonie29
07-04-09, 10:08 PM
Mine does,I don't speed (IMO) but I don't slow down at corners either(Disclaimer:depending on conditions etc.)

Shroon

ian zs180
07-04-09, 10:51 PM
Mine other half only moans when she sees the chavs coming up behind me in there corsas and i say here we go again and she says pack it in and slow down . Its hard though when you get them in there kitted up corsas trying to show you up so i have to show them its a 180 dont be silly :smile1:

Blinky
07-04-09, 10:59 PM
i get moaned all the time...the joys of nervous passengers...she hates anyone else driving....

Phate
08-04-09, 12:03 AM
Carly doesn't mind me driving quick if we aren't in a residential area because she doesn't want people looking where its so loud.

Fair enough :)

In general I calm it down a lot when she (or anyone) is in my car tbh.

dave87
08-04-09, 12:24 AM
People always told me block gear changes were damaging to the gearbox and the sync mesh. I am not a mechanic so I had no way to agree or disagree but i could see logic in the idea.

Anyway, no-one I have ever been with has commented on my driving. Some in fact nag me to win traffic light grand prix against their ex's!

Maxxed_Ross
08-04-09, 06:35 AM
I'm doing my IAM test at the moment and they promote block changes. Saves fuel and is no worse for the gearbox than normal

On topic, my other half used to be really bad, got better, then someone ran into the back of her at some lights and she's a trerrible passenger.... she'll just randomly shout "brake" from the back seat. She scared the utter crap out of her mum one day and nearly caused an accident herself when her mum hammered on the brakes thinking she hadn't seen something and was about to hit it

wilko66
08-04-09, 07:01 AM
Well being an ex hgv driver i have always block changed, as for the misus, No because i don't have one at the moment :sad:

ZS
08-04-09, 07:48 AM
She used to complain... until I divorced her! :axe:

p_b82
08-04-09, 11:48 AM
I dont get complaints per say, but i do get intakes of breath or 'woah' type noises from time to time.

i also block change all the time, as long as you are block changing and not putting the engine under stress then there is no reason not too...

stamford
08-04-09, 12:38 PM
I've been driving for 26 years and my o/h always prefers me to drive wherever we go. I very rarely get anything said to me unless it appears to be getting competitive. I have never been stopped for speeding, never had any points or even been breathylised.

I did help teach her to drive as a top up for her lessons, so I can't be all that bad eh!

Yes I do have some bad habits.............but are they? I do believe there are more bad habits when being taught today. I reckon everyone should take a motorcycle course as part of their driving lessons, it would make them more aware of motorcycles and their own blind spots.

arwilson80
08-04-09, 01:21 PM
it would make them more aware of motorcycles and their own blind spots.

+1...

I ocassionally get a 'courtesy wave' from motorcyclists as i move over and give them that bit of extra space to go past...

stamford
08-04-09, 03:05 PM
+1...

I ocassionally get a 'courtesy wave' from motorcyclists as i move over and give them that bit of extra space to go past...

Good to hear as I do too. As an ex-motorcyclist I can appreciate this.

Maxxed_Ross
08-04-09, 05:16 PM
+1...

I try and do that where possible too, and if I'm in the Landrover I give it a bit of left indication to let them know it's safe to go. It mist be hard seeing round "the Beast" :blink:

Jay-ZS+
08-04-09, 05:53 PM
I seem to get moaned at all the time. I get the whole "James Slow down theres a corner", " Slow down its red" and always get told off of overtaking even if theres loads of time and perfectly safe to. Anyone would have thought I was driving whilst blind. Although she is bad in everyones car. I seem to get it the worse although im used to it. Falls on deaf ears lol.

I love to put my foot down and make the car roar to wind her up as she really hates it lol.

vinny1979
08-04-09, 06:05 PM
my mrs used to moan about my driving. So i buried her in the hills somewhere...................

Jay-ZS+
08-04-09, 06:15 PM
A tad trastic but what ever works for you lol

weagie
08-04-09, 09:14 PM
I get the whole moaning thing all the time, even though i haven't done anything drastically wrong. What gets me is when she has had a whinge at me she go's and does the very same thing but its ok. The way i see it woman just like to have a good nag about something for the fun of it.

stamford
08-04-09, 09:16 PM
I seem to get moaned at all the time. I get the whole "James Slow down theres a corner", " Slow down its red" and always get told off of overtaking even if theres loads of time and perfectly safe to. Anyone would have thought I was driving whilst blind. Although she is bad in everyones car. I seem to get it the worse although im used to it. Falls on deaf ears lol.

I love to put my foot down and make the car roar to wind her up as she really hates it lol.

Sounds like your mum's in the car!

weagie
08-04-09, 09:17 PM
Is there a difference?