PDA

View Full Version : M.O.T When is it best to put it in,A couple of weeks before?

Jem
13-04-09, 12:45 AM
Got my M.O.T comming up very soon,Since i passed my test ive never took my cars to the garage,Ive allways driven my car to my dads mate who is a mechanic,Who would service it and take it in for the M.O.T.

Well since we have fallen out with my parents im not going to be able to take it to this guy,Which will also mean im not going to be able to have it serviced and the M.O.T Due to money,Ill have to get it serviced sometime after the M.O.T.

So seeing im going to have to take it to a garage and have them fix anything thats going to fail,Would two weeks before be a good time to take it in?

This will be its first M.O.T,Because its a 06 plate,Its had its service each year,And last year service on the visual health check sheet i only had one tick in a amber box,The section for: Under the bonnet section: The tick is for the alternator drive belt: Alternator drive belt cracking

XPCobra
13-04-09, 12:51 AM
doubt there would be uch wrong, just check lights, wipers, tyres + brakes, a few simple things to make sure they are ok :)

Jem
13-04-09, 12:56 AM
Cheers yea im sure it shouldn't be to much of a problem,But im no good at the mechanical side,So i wouldn't really know what to do about the brakes.

But i do know the lights/tyres/wipers are all ok.

stamford
13-04-09, 09:14 AM
If the basics are all okay and working it should go through smoothly. The drive belt is a service note and not an MOT bullet point. I would only MOT my cars a day or two before, never a couple of weeks. If the car fails then that is it, it has failed and any current MOT is void and will need the work doing before a fresh MOT pass can be issued.

Jay-ZS+
13-04-09, 09:53 AM
I use a garage that will check it over and let me know if theres much wrong with it so i can sort it and then take it for an MOT later if needed. Have since lost faith in them of the HG they said I needed when it was the inlet gasket. Think they were tring to pull a fast one. So going else where now i think

Jem
13-04-09, 10:07 AM
If the basics are all okay and working it should go through smoothly. The drive belt is a service note and not an MOT bullet point. I would only MOT my cars a day or two before, never a couple of weeks. If the car fails then that is it, it has failed and any current MOT is void and will need the work doing before a fresh MOT pass can be issued.

Cheers stamford,I never thought of it that way.

Jay-ZS+
13-04-09, 10:08 AM
I never realised that thought that the old MOT was valid for the 12mnts regardless.

stamford
13-04-09, 12:55 PM
I never realised that thought that the old MOT was valid for the 12mnts regardless.

There was some confusion on this, but my daughters boyfriends Polo had 2 weeks left on it and failed, the garage told him he had no current MOT due to it being a failure. I fell for once before on an older car and did not realise, I think it is to do with the computer system they use now to input the cars status once the test has been completed. Whereas before it was a paper system so there was no knowing if you have had an MOT. The Police can run an immediate check from the registration number and know all of the details.

Boot Hill Bandit
13-04-09, 01:06 PM
I do believe you can MOT a vehicle up to one month before the date of expiry on the current certificate......

I know of someone who drove their car on the road for a month before realising it had no valid MOT certificate :laugh:

Said person is a bit of a knobba though so can't say I was surprised!

Jim

Jem
13-04-09, 01:17 PM
Well i better start sorting out my cash £300 should cover it,I hope....

This argument has definitely come out at the wrong time of year.Since the car was new it has had problems that shouldn't really happen to a new car,Which happened in the first 6months.

.................................................. .....................................

Horn stopped working=New horn,While in for that they found the front fog lights were not working

Alarm kept on going off=Turned down sensitivity

Gear knob vibration=New gear knobx2 Still the same went to another garage they said it wasn't the knob it was to do with the linkage

Air-Con not working= yep they fixed that something was wrong, I think it was faulty when it came out of the showroom

Leak under passenger footwell when raining = Air Con pipe all chewed up cut and replaced

3 weeks later bad rain and water still comming through= couldn't find any problem

Alarm keeps going off=New Volumetric Sensors

Clutch low biting point and feeling loose=new pump

New fan motor

Wheel tracking way out=Aligned with a laser system