PDA

View Full Version : No compression

marts66
16-04-09, 03:04 PM
Hi all,

well thought i was going to get my zed back this weekend, but it appears that i have no compression. The head gasket has been changed and the car started nicely and drove well but then stalled and has now apparently lost all comprehesion. It goes up slightly when oil is down the bores.

I'm asking for the advice as i am 160 miles away from my car with a slipped disc and no way of getting involved apart from phone calls. the HG went about five months ago and since then the car has stood in a workshop waiting to be sorted. The head is recon and had new seats cut and valves lapped in etc,

Is it possible the rings have lost their tension due to heat when the head went? the chap fixing it has suggested this as a possible cause, someone else has suggested the lifters could have stuck/seized. the engine is being stripped down again next week, bloody hell, but i thought i'd pick the brains of others for suggestions/ideas/causes. it just seems strange that after repair, it started first time and reportedly drove well, pulling hard for the first half mile and then didn't!!

any advice or suggestion really really welcome as at wits end :(

Zippy Saloon
16-04-09, 04:42 PM
Have they had the cam pulleys off the cams? Wondering if they have put them back the wrong way - "think" the cams & pulleys are the same, but whether they are set up for inlet or exhaust depends on where the roll pin is located in slot (you have to remove pulley bolts to see)

Obviously if they haven't disturbed pulleys / cams it won't be this.

RalphG
16-04-09, 04:55 PM
Have you lost compression on all cylinders or just one?

marts66
16-04-09, 05:13 PM
from what the fella has told me, all four. he says it runs but with ****** all power. plus the pulleys etc must have been removed as he has reconned the head. i got a head off a tf135 to put on and the valves were bent so he replaced them with my old ones.

marts66
24-04-09, 11:01 AM
Well there is one positive about this, the garage has confirmed they wont charge me for another engine strip.Hope to find out at the beginning of next week what the problem is.