PDA

View Full Version : mk2 problem

lewerty
24-04-09, 10:43 AM
got a problem with the car :( drives fine but randomly cuts out engine managment light comes on u try to start it and its having none of it turn the car off and leave for a few seconds, then start it up and is ok, has done this 3 times in a week?? has recently had the crank shaft sensor changed, and took it back to the garage today to get them to check it again and it fine with no faults code showing, anyone got any ideas??

many thanks

james

stamford
24-04-09, 11:03 AM
How long does the system keep the fault codes? I know the Vauxhall ones get wiped after so many ignition turns. Still sounds like crank sensor symptoms.

lewerty
24-04-09, 12:24 PM
How long does the system keep the fault codes? I know the Vauxhall ones get wiped after so many ignition turns. Still sounds like crank sensor symptoms.

turn the car off wait for a bit and will start fine garage i took it too said crank sensor was workin fine ??

KevG
24-04-09, 12:53 PM
Crank sensor, as what Sheddist said over on XPF, sounds like the same symptoms.

RalphG
24-04-09, 04:59 PM
It is NOT the crank sensor itself. It may be the wiring to the sensor, but the crank sensor is working correctly.

BTW this car is fitted with after market cams and a piggy back ECU.

lewerty
24-04-09, 09:09 PM
quick update broke down again, AA came out the fuel cut off switch had been activated??

TjP
24-04-09, 10:59 PM
Could it be immobiliser issues?

I had a few problems with starting my car when I first got it, which I eventually put down to the car having been stood at the dealer's for a while, and put in a new battery which seemed to solve everything. Only once did the car cut out (during a test drive). The more common problem for me was getting the car to start sometimes; it would turn over but not start, which I think was down to the immobiliser. Not sure if the immobiliser and battery problems were linked but I havent had any issues since replacing the battery.

Probably not related but thought I would share...

lewerty
25-04-09, 09:31 AM
Could it be immobiliser issues?

I had a few problems with starting my car when I first got it, which I eventually put down to the car having been stood at the dealer's for a while, and put in a new battery which seemed to solve everything. Only once did the car cut out (during a test drive). The more common problem for me was getting the car to start sometimes; it would turn over but not start, which I think was down to the immobiliser. Not sure if the immobiliser and battery problems were linked but I havent had any issues since replacing the battery.

Probably not related but thought I would share...

ummm u saying immobiliser, has got me thinking when unlock the car then put the little one in the back in her car seat, then try to start it, it wont and the alarm thing sounds i have to relock and open the car, i just thought this was a better security feature of the mk2????

RudeDogg1
25-04-09, 10:39 AM
ummm u saying immobiliser, has got me thinking when unlock the car then put the little one in the back in her car seat, then try to start it, it wont and the alarm thing sounds i have to relock and open the car, i just thought this was a better security feature of the mk2????

hasnt the mk2 just got the same security system as the mk1

TjP
25-04-09, 10:44 AM
I believe the mk2 has better security(?) When I was looking to buy my ZS, some insurance companies wouldnt insure a mk1 unless you had a tracker fitted, whereas the mk2 was fine as standard.

lewerty
25-04-09, 11:01 AM
hasnt the mk2 just got the same security system as the mk1

think the mk1 is a cat 2 alarm and mk2 is a cat 1 alarm

RalphG
25-04-09, 11:08 AM
If I remember right, early Mk1 ZSs were found to have a security issue (which I will not describe here), which was corrected in later Mk1 cars. Some cars were retrofitted with an upgrade by the dealers (at the owner's expense usually), but only if the owner requested it. The cars that have the uprated system are Thatcham 1 rated.

RudeDogg1
26-04-09, 11:25 AM
If I remember right, early Mk1 ZSs were found to have a security issue (which I will not describe here), which was corrected in later Mk1 cars. Some cars were retrofitted with an upgrade by the dealers (at the owner's expense usually), but only if the owner requested it. The cars that have the uprated system are Thatcham 1 rated.

yeah i had to have a tracker fitted

stamford
26-04-09, 12:33 PM
I changed insurance companies when I bought the 180, Churchill's required a tracker, Norwich Union di not and then Admiral did not when I changed.

Bobdope2002
26-04-09, 12:40 PM
did the mk2 have the dastek fitted already or we on about the mk1 here mate??

lewerty
26-04-09, 01:52 PM
did the mk2 have the dastek fitted already or we on about the mk1 here mate??

dastek is already on the car

Bobdope2002
26-04-09, 02:08 PM
dastek is already on the car

oh right was just wondering as i knew u had some sort of chip on ya mk1 didnt no about ya mk2 cant you take it off and go back to OE

lewerty
26-04-09, 02:50 PM
got the super chip on the mk1 and never had n e probs that had cams too, yea if it still plays up after tues will take it off, and go for a different 1

Boot Hill Bandit
29-04-09, 11:08 AM
I changed insurance companies when I bought the 180, Churchill's required a tracker, Norwich Union di not and then Admiral did not when I changed.

I'm with Admiral too Mick after you recommending them on here ;)

Jim

afcbadam
29-04-09, 04:34 PM
doesnt the late mk1 have the same alarm as the mk 2. some mk1 have the horn sounder some have the siren sounder. would cams make a difference?