PDA

View Full Version : the worlds worst rattle

starfire039
24-04-09, 08:32 PM
my car's developed a rattle, one that is most odd, and i can't for the life of me guess where it is!!

it's coming from the passenger footwell area, in the wheel arch area and only rattles when i accelerate from standing, and brake to standing. it sounds like a boat creaking on the water, if that makes sense.

i've got the glovebox out to investigate, had the carpet up, tightened up the bolts that hold the side skirts on, put my hand in every single place under the dash to examine for loose components. none!

i am trying to remember when the rattle started, and if i did anything that might have triggered it, i had my front passenger seat out and put it back in again, roughly at the time this started, but i'm skeptical if this is the seat throwing the sound to the front, i did the bolts up to the correct torque with a torque wrench, apart from one which needed a ratchet as the torque wrench was too big. the next thing i will do is take the seat out again and see if it cures it, and investigate if it's part of the subframe mech that's doing this.

long shot, but has anybody come accross this before? it's driving me nucking futs. gonna see if i can get it out this weekend, but i will be pre occupied with missus - seeing obligations and the forumula 1!

shroonie29
24-04-09, 08:37 PM
Not sure,but I like the Happy Days edition seats your getting "Corbeau Fonza buckets" ;)
I used to get a banging from that area,turned out it was the OE resonator bashing the bumper/wing as it was loose

Shroon

starfire039
24-04-09, 08:43 PM
maybe it's going to be worth jacking the car up and having a look underneat to see if anything's loose. and i am stoked for my fonza's, waiting for the right ones to appear on the bay!

stamford
24-04-09, 08:47 PM
Lol, Fonza went over your head there!

Have you tried driving the same with someone sat in the seat?

shroonie29
24-04-09, 08:55 PM
Lol, Fonza went over your head there!

I wasn't sure lol

Corbeau Forza
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/90/Fonz_Pic.PNG/250px-Fonz_Pic.PNG

The fonz
http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/images/sys/LIscr15.jpg

Shroon

talkingcars
24-04-09, 08:55 PM

I used to get an intermitant rattle in that area in my first car, got so fed up I tried getting my g/f at the time to listern for it but it wasn't there, after she got out I realised it was the passanger seat and did the bolts up, cured it.

Slightly more worrying was the intermitant n/s knocking on my next car, turned out to be a loose wheel!

starfire039
24-04-09, 09:17 PM
I wasn't sure lol

Corbeau Forza
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/90/Fonz_Pic.PNG/250px-Fonz_Pic.PNG

The fonz
http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/images/sys/LIscr15.jpg

Shroon

i was born 6 years after happy days finished (according to wikipedia :w00t:) i feel like a plank now!

but I now get the joke :clown:

it's the same when someone sits in the seat. i'm thinking the subframe mech might be causing the noise, as it seems fairly loose and rattly under there.

and my wheels are all nice and tight!

starfire039
24-04-09, 09:20 PM
i think if i take the passenger seat out and it still creaks i will either:

- go batshit insane
- get a mate to lay down with his head under the dash to pin point it
- take the whole dash out

i can't really see any other options!

shroonie29
24-04-09, 09:23 PM
i think if i take the passenger seat out and it still creaks i will either:

- go batshit insane
- get a mate to lay down with his head under the dash to pin point it
- take the whole dash out

i can't really see any other options!

I suggest taking so much out that you'll never know lol
worked for me,all I do is turn up the music & enjoy my numb ass from the Fonz lol

Shroon

starfire039
24-04-09, 09:48 PM
enjoy my numb ass from the Fonz lol

Shroon

steady on mate! :judge:

haha.

i do turn up the music so i can't hear it, but occasionally i want to listen to my engine and exhaust note :-D but the creak somewhat ruins the experience...

Zippy Saloon
25-04-09, 01:39 AM
Could be drivers seat mounting broken, when mine went it made a pinging /creaking noise that you couldn't really pinpoint. Try sitting in seat and rocking backwards & forwards.
Or there have been some probs with front x-member mounting iirc, "think" that can make similar noise.

talkingcars
25-04-09, 07:57 AM
but I now get the joke :clown:

best change your signiture then -

Upcoming mods:
Decat pipe (soon!)
Corbeau Fonza buckets
Induction kit

:shifty: