PDA

View Full Version : Changing side light bulbs

Craig
25-04-09, 09:13 PM
What a hassle for such a small thing! I got some led 501s to match my HIDs. Did the O/S first, no problem. Then I started on the N/S. First I had to remove the battery, then I ended up removing the tray as well. These things are not designed for easy maintenance IMO :D The new bulbs do look much better tho.

Jay-ZS+
25-04-09, 09:28 PM
Yer royal pain last time i tried to do mine the nut thats fixed to the underside of the battery tray snapped so was just spinning so now its on a wingnut lol. Putting new bulbs in my mk2 lights before they are fitted!

stamford
25-04-09, 09:31 PM
I bought some LEDs once, gave up and never fitted them, the fit was not right either so stick with OE ones.

rbull51
26-04-09, 02:47 PM
What a hassle for such a small thing! I got some led 501s to match my HIDs. Did the O/S first, no problem. Then I started on the N/S. First I had to remove the battery, then I ended up removing the tray as well. These things are not designed for easy maintenance IMO :D The new bulbs do look much better tho.

I was thinking of getting some HID's, do they work well on a mk1 with the reflector style lenses?? Which ones did you buy and where from, how much etc. Somebody said that i would need to get HID's with a reflector type bulb??

Maxfly
26-04-09, 03:50 PM
i never removed the battery when fitting any o my front bulbs, slightly footery but no too bad, just getting the angle of attack right an yer away, it's getting the caps back on afterwords i always hate for some reason lol:)

I bought some LEDs once, gave up and never fitted them, the fit was not right either so stick with OE ones.
Have always changed to led sidelights where possible and have never had this problem yet...strange:spider: Have had duff anes that started flickering after a while as well as buying ones which wernae that bright- changed them for better ones and put the duller ones in my tf mirror, works a treat!!:)

arwilson80
26-04-09, 03:59 PM
Somebody said that i would need to get HID's with a reflector type bulb??

Have heard that too. H7R's are the ones you'll be looking.

Have heard that the side are footery... and that the indicators are as bad / worse.

dave87
26-04-09, 04:51 PM
i changed my sidelights on my megane today. requires taking off the front bumper and removing the whole light unit from the car. Three hours and 2 helpers later is was done. So life could be worse eh

Craig
26-04-09, 05:03 PM
Have heard that too. H7R's are the ones you'll be looking.

Have heard that the side are footery... and that the indicators are as bad / worse.

Yeah, as Alan said, H&r's are the recommended ones to go for. They are a fair bit more expensive than Boggo H7s. Some people have fitted the H7s in MK1s IIRC, but I went with the H7r's