PDA

View Full Version : been doing a lot of thinking

starfire039
04-05-09, 08:40 PM
I can't believe how ******* stupid i am sometimes.

i've only had my zed since august..

i've spent a lot of time and money on it...

and i love it to bits..

but....

i'm seriously considering selling it....

it doesn't have air con, and it has windy windows. i didnt think this would bother me at first, but it does.

it has hit me that i would rather have a mark 2 180!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what am i going to do........i havent even sold me frickin first car yet... i dont know.. i wont even get much for mine this time of year, with no air con...

stamford
04-05-09, 08:52 PM
Oh dear, these meets are bad news! :laugh:

Boot Hill Bandit
04-05-09, 08:52 PM
I can't believe how ******* stupid i am sometimes.

i've only had my zed since august..

i've spent a lot of time and money on it...

and i love it to bits..

but....

i'm seriously considering selling it....

it doesn't have air con, and it has windy windows. i didnt think this would bother me at first, but it does.

it has hit me that i would rather have a mark 2 180!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what am i going to do........i havent even sold me frickin first car yet... i dont know.. i wont even get much for mine this time of year, with no air con...

All I can say is..........not within reason or ability to fit electric windows to it! Plenty of peeps on here who may be local and able to help........seems a daft reason to sell it. As for aircon..........I have been managing without it for a while now........

If you really want to sell it.........ideal as a stripped out trackday car for someone as they have no aircon to remove and it doesn't have the motors for the windows in either........if you are lazy and don't want to do much 'technical' stripping out.

Jim

NIKKI JUST SAID..............How much you want for it? ;)

Phate
04-05-09, 08:53 PM
Starfire if its any consolation my car is much better than yours.

:)

starfire039
04-05-09, 08:57 PM
thanks jake, i've had sex with your mother so we're even.

Boot Hill Bandit
04-05-09, 09:03 PM

:shutup:

Jim

stamford
04-05-09, 09:04 PM

:laugh: good job I finished my coffee.

So what price are we looking at then? Wonder if I can get Gina to change her mind ;)

starfire039
04-05-09, 09:05 PM
Oh dear, these meets are bad news! :laugh:

tell me about it!

All I can say is..........not within reason or ability to fit electric windows to it! Plenty of peeps on here who may be local and able to help........seems a daft reason to sell it. As for aircon..........I have been managing without it for a while now........

If you really want to sell it.........ideal as a stripped out trackday car for someone as they have no aircon to remove and it doesn't have the motors for the windows in either........if you are lazy and don't want to do much 'technical' stripping out.

Jim

NIKKI JUST SAID..............How much you want for it? ;)

i was going to convert to electric, but decided i'd rather go for buckets, and an induction kit. perhaps i should convert to electric. thing is it's fairly rapid as it has no aircon, no leccy windows, no rear seats.

problem is too is that i paid too much for it, so if i sold it now i would lose a horrific amount.

part of me is now thinking i should just crack on with it. insurance is way to high for me for a 180. perhaps i should go ahead and get this induction kit and 52mm tb, and wack the buckets in to save weight, and perhaps strip out the standard carpet and line it with non sound deadened carpet.

i hate the way i always change my mind!!!

i am kind of disapointed with my xorst as well. it's okay dont get me wrong i originally wanted something quiet just a bit more beefy than standard, which is EXACTLY what the Peco is, and i was happy with it. But i think my needs have changed and i want something loud. i could always sell the backbox, keep the middle pipe and get a janspeed duplex............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ............................

stamford
04-05-09, 09:08 PM
Oh dear you are in a pickle now!

starfire039
04-05-09, 09:11 PM
Oh dear you are in a pickle now!

it's your fault, it's your fault for getting me hooked on mods, it's your fault for making want a 180!!!! :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

:laugh:

so do you think if i get a janspeed duplex backbox from ptp, it will kill my backpressure and make my car slower? I think i'm going to get one to cure my itch for a 180 :nugget::nugget:

Boot Hill Bandit
04-05-09, 09:13 PM
tell me about it!

i was going to convert to electric, but decided i'd rather go for buckets, and an induction kit. perhaps i should convert to electric. thing is it's fairly rapid as it has no aircon, no leccy windows, no rear seats.

problem is too is that i paid too much for it, so if i sold it now i would lose a horrific amount.

part of me is now thinking i should just crack on with it. insurance is way to high for me for a 180. perhaps i should go ahead and get this induction kit and 52mm tb, and wack the buckets in to save weight, and perhaps strip out the standard carpet and line it with non sound deadened carpet.

i hate the way i always change my mind!!!

i am kind of disapointed with my xorst as well. it's okay dont get me wrong i originally wanted something quiet just a bit more beefy than standard, which is EXACTLY what the Peco is, and i was happy with it. But i think my needs have changed and i want something loud. i could always sell the backbox, keep the middle pipe and get a janspeed duplex............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ............................

Let me stop you there before you self destruct!

If you aren't after the sound of a V6...........don't bother with the 180!

The K series is quite capable.......and there are plenty of options for fitting a VVC head and ECU from a scrappy ZR, F or TF......

Another option is the Turbo.........or even a VHPD head........these are all tuning options which the V6 totally lacks.....

If you are happy with your car as a whole I wouldn't even contemplate changing it. I for one wish I had bought a Solar Red ZS120 and just put on a 180 kit and done a VVC conversion or a VHPD head.......

Now go take a sit in your car and have a think about what you want from it..........before you do anything rash!!!!

Jim

Phate
04-05-09, 09:15 PM

No worries.

Surprising, she's been fully booked for weeks, nice one on getting an appointment :thumbsup:

starfire039
04-05-09, 09:15 PM
heh, thanks jim. i'm gonna sleep on it.

No worries.

Surprising, she's been fully booked for weeks, nice one on getting an appointment :thumbsup:

Boot Hill Bandit
04-05-09, 09:21 PM
heh, thanks jim. i'm gonna sleep on it.

I would if I were you ;)

Talking of which..........I'm off to bed! Night all :wave:

Jim

Phate
04-05-09, 09:23 PM
I would if I were you ;)

Talking of which..........I'm off to bed! Night all :wave:

Jim

slateramas my hombreonamas!

stamford
04-05-09, 09:36 PM
Yes slap on a duplex, it'll be fine and a decent open cone inner wing affair to get that induction growl!

A tuned 120 can still make for a quick car and it'll be cheaper to run!

starfire039
04-05-09, 09:40 PM
ok without making any decisions YET i THINK that's what i'm gonna do, will see how i feel in a week or so.

janspeed xpower duplex from ptp. open cone induction kit in the wing.

is wrapping the manis in that heat wrap stuff a good idea to prevent heatsoak would you say?

stamford
04-05-09, 09:44 PM
Wrapping does help, but only minute and on tuned cars, mostly track cars tbh. I've used it before but no idea on price these days as it was expensive back then.

arwilson80
04-05-09, 09:47 PM

I actually LOL'd....

starfire039
04-05-09, 09:48 PM
i'm looking at about 35 quid fro the wrap.

http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/257_55/mg_rover/mg_zs__rover_45/exhaust_systems/1_exhaust_heat_wrap.htm

quite substantial claims there... if it's not going to help with heatsoak i won't bother.

also i was going to ask what's the benefit to open cone in the wing, to an enclosed kit, to a cold air feed sticking out a fog light hole/the grill? I hear such contradicting claims in that area.

stamford
04-05-09, 09:54 PM
The 120 has more room to play with when it comes to induction, having heard a 120 with a decent install it sounds bloody good when opened up! If executed properly it is fine, depends on what you want to spend and what noise you would like.

XPCobra
04-05-09, 09:58 PM
Turbo it!

starfire039
04-05-09, 10:09 PM
i want the most aggressive loudest noise ideally. as well as most efficient placement for best performance. i have been reading up, and a cold air feed induction kit is apparently best for performance. i trust your judgement so whatever you think will be best for my car i will go with!

XPCobra- that's a project for the distant future ;)

mattie007
04-05-09, 10:39 PM
I often think I want to sell or I want to do this to my car. Usual way to get over it is take the car for a B road blast!

stamford
05-05-09, 07:38 AM
I often think I want to sell or I want to do this to my car. Usual way to get over it is take the car for a B road blast!

....and then buy more bits!

arwilson80
05-05-09, 08:51 AM
....and then buy more bits!

what price can you put on some fun though. ;)

...and i'd say (well, i know :blush:) that the ZS can do OK on 'B' roads.

starfire039
05-05-09, 01:12 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-Lotus-K-series-VVC-Cylinder-head-complete_W0QQitemZ110383740412QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item11038374 0412&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

So you think I should get it ;););)

stamford
05-05-09, 02:23 PM
Interesting, not sure what else you would need or indeed convert to utilise it. Check out the QED website http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/

starfire039
05-05-09, 02:44 PM
very useful. I'm gonna need new inlet manifold for sure, and ecu. that engine already comes with cams. gonna ask my mechanic for a quote to fit this..

staccato
07-05-09, 05:29 PM

I bought my MK 2 for £7200, spent about 8grand in total on the car then sold it for 6k 2 months after having the cams done. Damn money pits!

I've not even got the vxr yet and I've bought new toys for it!

Jay-ZS+
07-05-09, 06:01 PM
I bought my MK 2 for £7200, spent about 8grand in total on the car then sold it for 6k 2 months after having the cams done. Damn money pits!

I've not even got the vxr yet and I've bought new toys for it!

Lol thought you were leaving it standard till warranty runs out lol

Jay-ZS+
07-05-09, 06:07 PM

Ha ha ha :laugh:

Wonder if I can get Gina to change her mind ;)

Thats a good idea we will look after her better than the zr lot mick ;)
It was you that almost made me want to sell my 120 as well mick when looking at yours with the induction and that looked like it was fun lol.

Im looking in the vvc conversion as well as the t16 now as well but insurance on that for me will be crazy. Depends how highly tuned you want to go as apparently the pistons in the 160 are different to the tf135.

staccato
07-05-09, 06:40 PM
Lol thought you were leaving it standard till warranty runs out lol

yeah til I found out there's a Thorney Motorsport approved tuner less than an hour from me.

GM have recently granted Thorney warranty approval status too meaning I can get a remap and still be fully covered under warranty. Same applies on the exhaust and intercooler too although I'm not expecting to go that far with the vectra

Jay-ZS+
07-05-09, 06:43 PM
yeah til I found out there's a Thorney Motorsport approved tuner less than an hour from me.

GM have recently granted Thorney warranty approval status too meaning I can get a remap and still be fully covered under warranty. Same applies on the exhaust and intercooler too although I'm not expecting to go that far with the vectra

...yet! lol

mikesezgreen
07-05-09, 09:19 PM
Gotta say Starfire - i have a 120 and am in the exact same position...

However i have fitted and open cone induction kit and it does make a hell of a difference...not so much to the power, but noise and revvs...it gets so addictive...:bike:

I do however feel myself wanting a V6...really really wanting one...the induction kit is helping, but i find myself wanting more pace, without the fuss of modding.

As for fitting the cone in the wing?? i haven't...mines fitted centrally, but brought forward for the cooler air through the grill. I think it just sounds louder in the wing i think??:shifty:

mikesezgreen
07-05-09, 09:22 PM
Starfire if its any consolation my car is much better than yours.

:)

You guy's...:clap::clap:...lmfao...

starfire039
07-05-09, 09:31 PM
i know what you mean mate. thing is though if you get the 180 you'll still be modding it. there's probably more affordable mods you can do, like a decat, you'll want an oil catch tank too, the sheddist clutch kit, all sorts of crap. once you've started modding, you won't stop, and that applies to all cars.

the way i am looking at it now, is theres PLENTY of time to get something faster, whether we have 110's, 120's or 180s its important just to enjoy the car as they are ALL excellent, all of them handle brilliantly, yeah the 180 is a lot faster but the 110 and 120 still faster than a crappy 1.2 shitpiece corsa or something, lots more fun to be had, and a stronger community behind it. its good to make the most of a car thats cheap to buy and is excellent value for money, and cheap running costs. (110,120).

and you never know, it might be a future classic.

was thinking the other day yes i really want a 180 but if I spend my life wanting more and more then i'll never be happy with what i have, and that sucks!

open cone in the wing is the most efficient place to put an open cone. don't forget your manis are gonna be literally red hot, and if you've brought your cone forward, you're going to notice the heatsoak. perhaps you could try fitting the kit to the inner wing and see if you notice a difference, and find a 52 mm tb on the bay ;););)

cant wait for the noise it's gonna make though, was listening to fudge's engine at the brighton meet and i thought he had an after market exhaust on, was very suprised induction kits make THAT much of a difference!!!

mikesezgreen
07-05-09, 09:43 PM
I know what you mean about the modding, i would like a VVC conversion but a wife and 2 kids put a stop to that (hence the V6) - plus now the insurance on a V6 has dropped to £500 a yea for me (my eyes nearly popped out when i saw that...)

I would say your first port of call would be an induction kit, definatly a good buy...also, i don't think it's worth the extra outlay for a K&N or pipecross...i got a cheapie in mine for £50 and i think it's wicked...

Jay-ZS+
07-05-09, 09:44 PM
:console::beer2:

starfire039
07-05-09, 09:52 PM
buying a pipercross open cone with piping to put in inner wing for 60 quid off ross :)

cheap n chearful.

500 a year, damn you, i'm 1000 a year on a 1.8, on me ma's damn policy

would love to do a vvc conversion, 160 4 pot in a zs would be amazing. will just have to see if funds permit in the future.

Fudgepacker
07-05-09, 10:23 PM
you dont want air con its like fuel drinking and it also slows you down you switch it on and its like a dyno being put on the wheels plus makes your car so heavy and once a year you gotta get it re-gased and if there is a leak ker ching the garage makes lots of money windy windows are great my electric ones are so slow

starfire039
07-05-09, 11:22 PM
i think my car is a good base for the track. no air con, no leccy, no rear seats! light as fook :D