PDA

View Full Version : Broken down....

Pages : [1] 2

Phate
07-05-09, 05:10 PM
So Im currently sitting on the A47 inbetween Leicester and Peterborough (if anyone is nearby feel free to come and say hi!

Drove fine all the way up here, left for home then it just didn't feel right...got going and then suddenly Bang bang bang

So I pull over and slowly try to engage a gear but just more banging noise, asif the gearbox can't grip the driveshaft.

Had a look and the car is covered in gearbox oil underneith :( - gawd knows what happened?

So I'm 99miles from home and waiting for the recovery lorry to come and get me (within the hour they reckon)

I just hope the driver doesnt smell!

Hope my car is ok :(

Dan1971
07-05-09, 05:12 PM
There in spirit mate ..... Hope it's not gonna be too costly !!

Maxfly
07-05-09, 05:14 PM
So Im currently sitting on the A47 inbetween Leicester and Peterborough (if anyone is nearby feel free to come and say hi!

Drove fine all the way up here, left for home then it just didn't feel right...got going and then suddenly Bang bang bang

So I pull over and slowly try to engage a gear but just more banging noise, asif the gearbox can't grip the driveshaft.

Had a look and the car is covered in gearbox oil underneith :( - gawd knows what happened?

So I'm 99miles from home and waiting for the recovery lorry to come and get me (within the hour they reckon)

I just hope the driver doesnt smell!

Hope my car is ok :(

**** man what a bummer!! doesn't sound good tbh, hopefully sounds worse than it is, though if your needing a new box you could get an lsd fitted wi it...there's always positives:D:D

Phate
07-05-09, 05:17 PM
There in spirit mate ..... Hope it's not gonna be too costly !!

Cheers dude....if its a new box I might make Ralph an offer on the one he has at the workshop...already has an lsd.

vinny1979
07-05-09, 05:32 PM
oh mate im not far away , wel about 30 miles, I would have came said hi if was closer. Sounds like the bell housing has cracked on gearbox or something? Bummer!!

Phate
07-05-09, 05:37 PM
oh mate im not far away , wel about 30 miles, I would have came said hi if was closer. Sounds like the bell housing has cracked on gearbox or something? Bummer!!

Just spoke to a mate on the phone. His money is on the dif...

30 miles aint far when your car works :p

vinny1979
07-05-09, 05:55 PM
yeah my brm did the same, awful noises, oil everywhere, the diff dead LOL. Ah well. Wasy come easy car the joys of motoring buddy. what you doing up here anyway?

Phate
07-05-09, 05:57 PM
Right recovery man has been and is sending out a flatbed (why they didn't do that in the first place I don't really know) we popped the bonnet and the cv joint between the gearbox and the driveshaft has (and I quote) exploded. You can grab the driveshaft and move it about, whether or not its done any internal damage to the gearbox I don't know...we shall wait and see.

lewerty
07-05-09, 05:59 PM
was u giving it some when it went?

Phate
07-05-09, 06:02 PM
what you doing up here anyway?

Had some work to do up here dude. Wish I had said no now lol

Phate
07-05-09, 06:06 PM
was u giving it some when it went?

Nope, thank god. I'd hate to think what damage could be done if I was redlining it.

starfire039
07-05-09, 07:04 PM
:( sorry to hear that dude.

Phate
07-05-09, 08:00 PM
Nearly home....

afcbadam
07-05-09, 08:13 PM
sorry to here that jake. just said hi to you over on themgzr. lol

starfire039
07-05-09, 09:18 PM
i know you don't want to hear this... but i will never get the chance otherwise

if i was to race you right now, my car would win :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce:

shroonie29
07-05-09, 09:24 PM
What was the verdict??
Popped a shaft??

Shroon

stamford
07-05-09, 09:25 PM
:hmmm: new gearbox time and an ATB! :yes: wish mine would go!

Boot Hill Bandit
07-05-09, 09:26 PM
:hmmm: new gearbox time and an ATB! :yes: wish mine would go!

Hand your keys over Mick I am sure I can make the same happen to your gearbox :devil:

yep...........come on Phate..........a quick call to a breakers for a low miler box and take it to Rally Matt for that essential Quaiffe ATB LSD ;)

Jim

Phate
07-05-09, 09:28 PM
lol I'll let you have that one :p

Well I'm in, it's too dark to even try and look at it now and I got it dropped at the yard as they have a pit and all the tools I need - plus a van to run about in :D

I'm hoping it's just a driveshaft, but there is BOUND to be some gearbox damage from the noise it was making :cry:

Like I need an excuse for a new one ;)

mikesezgreen
07-05-09, 09:33 PM
Bad news mate...whats the millage on it now?

starfire039
07-05-09, 09:34 PM
yep...........come on Phate..........a quick call to a breakers for a low miler box and take it to Rally Matt for that essential Quaiffe ATB LSD ;)

Jim

jim's right, perhaps this is a blessing in disguise :lttd:

Phate
07-05-09, 09:34 PM
Bad news mate...whats the millage on it now?

81.5k now. It needs the cambelt doing soon as well...

I wonder if that 650quid Zed is still for sale....I'd make that in selling mine for parts alone! hmmm....thinking cap time I reckon...

Phate
07-05-09, 09:36 PM
Ignoring the intial cost of the box how much is it for the LSD and fitting to the box? bout a grand isn't it?

shroonie29
07-05-09, 09:44 PM
lol I'll let you have that one :p

Well I'm in, it's too dark to even try and look at it now and I got it dropped at the yard as they have a pit and all the tools I need - plus a van to run about in :D

I'm hoping it's just a driveshaft, but there is BOUND to be some gearbox damage from the noise it was making :cry:

ATB it is then :)

Shroon

Phate
07-05-09, 09:45 PM
ATB it is then :)

Shroon

Unless someone wants to pay for it....until I get a job I can't fork out a grand on the car, despite it sitting in the bank account :( Although I'm very close to getting one (it currently seems)

We'll see....just hope the Zed isn't off the road for long :cry:

shroonie29
07-05-09, 09:48 PM
Unless someone wants to pay for it....until I get a job I can't fork out a grand on the car, despite it sitting in the bank account :( Although I'm very close to getting one (it currently seems)

We'll see....just hope the Zed isn't off the road for long :cry:

You could try & source a low mileage Vitesse box??????
same 1st to 4th,longer 5th & the added bonus of the 4.2 final drive :) (if I knew earlier lol) Also has a Torsen type B as standard ;)

Shroon

Phate
07-05-09, 09:49 PM
You could try & source a low mileage Vitesse box??????
same 1st to 4th,longer 5th & the added bonus of the 4.2 final drive :) (if I knew earlier lol) Also has a Torsen type B as standard ;)

Shroon

Will it bolt straight on?

Whats the bonus of the 4.2 final drive?

And which Vitesse does it come from? any of them?

Questions? :D

mikesezgreen
07-05-09, 09:50 PM
If money is tight fella, bit of good news...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4522.m38.l1312&_nkw=MG+ZS+180+Gearbox&_sacat=See-All-Categories

May keep it on the road until you can go to ATB ;-)

Phate
07-05-09, 09:52 PM
If money is tight fella, bit of good news...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4522.m38.l1312&_nkw=MG+ZS+180+Gearbox&_sacat=See-All-Categories

May keep it on the road until you can go to ATB ;-)

Cheers matey. I really don't think the gearbox is knackered to be perfectly honest because when it came off the flatbed I moved it about the driveway...it selects all gears fine, even drives (if going slowly enough) so I'm really hoping it's just a driveshaft :)

shroonie29
07-05-09, 10:01 PM
800 Vitty turbo.Not 100%,but early ones could of had a type A(don't quote me lol)
Bonus of the 4.2 is that acceleration is better than the 3.9 OE final drive.(I want this myself but found out too late after my ATB went in)
Just throwing a few balls in the air for ya :)

What You Will See When You Have Removed the Drive Shafts On A Type B Equipped Gearbox

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/fluke620ti/Car%20Stuff/TypeB2.jpg

Shroon

Phate
07-05-09, 10:03 PM
800 Vitty turbo.Not 100%,but early ones could of had a type A(don't quote me lol)
Bonus of the 4.2 is that acceleration is better than the 3.9 OE final drive.(I want this myself but found out too late after my ATB went in)
Just throwing a few balls in the air for ya :)

Shroon

Nice, cheers dude :)

Just spoke to my mate whos a bit of a vitty nutty and he said the mk2 vit's had the Type B. I was also hoping he'd have one lying around somewhere :p

If it's just a driveshaft I'll keep my eyes pealed for a box at some point.

shroonie29
07-05-09, 10:06 PM
Nice, cheers dude :)

Just spoke to my mate whos a bit of a vitty nutty and he said the mk2 vit's had the Type B. I was also hoping he'd have one lying around somewhere :p

If it's just a driveshaft I'll keep my eyes pealed for a box at some point.

At least ya have a few ideas to play with now lol

Shroon

Phate
07-05-09, 10:07 PM
Hehe, how is the accleration better btw? is it just quicker?

shroonie29
07-05-09, 10:14 PM
Hehe, how is the accleration better btw? is it just quicker?

It will accelerate more quickly,but you will have to change gear at a lower speed for each gear (not much lower but every little helps lol)
I had some calculations done & it would make a 30-100 around 1/3-1/2 of a second quicker on the OE power band.
Add to that a better mid range & peak power & you are seeing a real world difference(doesn't sound much,but in car terms like for like it is a good gain)

Shroon

Marky Mark
08-05-09, 01:19 AM
Sorry to hear about your ZS Jake, hope you get it sorted out soon, probably see you down at Ralph's soon mate

arwilson80
08-05-09, 08:26 AM

No, but you need the £'s. ;)

Bummer...

Phate
08-05-09, 10:03 AM
Time to start ringing around!

Phate
08-05-09, 10:24 AM
Got a driveshaft on the way. £60 + courier, will be with me today or Monday :mml:

Many thanks to summitmg :)

Explained the situation, they are going to keep hold of the gearbox for me to just incase :)

arwilson80
08-05-09, 10:43 AM
You fitting it yersel' or is the phone ringing at EMS now? :)

Phate
08-05-09, 11:15 AM
You fitting it yersel' or is the phone ringing at EMS now? :)

I have no way of getting to EMS, plus I have all the tools and everything here at the yard...the driveshaft could arrive today if it does my mate Rob who is handy with a spanner is going to help me fit it :)

Marky Mark
08-05-09, 11:38 AM
Glad to hear you are getting your zed sorted out soon mate, when you getting the belts done?:-D

Phate
08-05-09, 01:05 PM
Glad to hear you are getting your zed sorted out soon mate, when you getting the belts done?:-D

Shaft is arriving tomorrow before midday :) - Very pleased!

lol, one thing at a time...I gotta get a damn job first :(

stamford
08-05-09, 01:29 PM
Did you ever get all the monies back you were owed Jake?

Bobdope2002
08-05-09, 02:00 PM

ill give you 99 dingalings for 12 monies

Phate
08-05-09, 02:00 PM

all but £110 which Mum owes me so I'm not too fussed about that. The last £250 went in the bank today though :)

Bobdope2002
08-05-09, 02:02 PM
all but £110 which Mum owes me so I'm not too fussed about that. The last £250 went in the bank today though :)

recently i get money for free :D got a nice cheque from the government for £750 yesterday

i now have 2k in a holiday fund gonna be a gooden this year :D

Phate
08-05-09, 02:05 PM
recently i get money for free :D got a nice cheque from the government for £750 yesterday

Git :(

stamford
08-05-09, 02:08 PM

So you and your flatmate swapping roles helped then?

How on earth did you manage that?

arwilson80
08-05-09, 02:11 PM
How on earth did you manage that?

Job as an MP? MEP? :D

Sorry, but was too good to miss....:shutup:

stamford
08-05-09, 02:17 PM
Job as an MP? MEP? :D

Sorry, but was too good to miss....:shutup:

pmsl! Tim an MP or MEP! I would pay to see that! :laugh:

Phate
08-05-09, 02:20 PM
So you and your flatmate swapping roles helped then?

Sorry wasn't my flatmate, just a friend of mine but yes it helped. She's got all her money back and I have all of mine back :)

It's much easier to chase other peoples debtors! :p:bounce:

peterzs
08-05-09, 06:42 PM
Just back from Polperro, sorry to hear about the drive shaft/gearbox, I wont say anything about barefoot driving!!!!:tease::tease::tease::mml::mml::mml:

Phate
10-05-09, 06:29 PM
UPDATE:

Well the DS didn't turn up (damn courier companys) so my friend came down for nothing. But we still had a good laugh this weekend and ranabout in his car.

So now roll on Wednesday, when the friend can come back and we can knuckle down and do it. Looking forward to getting it back!

However, I've had an interesting offer...

a friend of mine who lives locally drives an E36 BMW 328 which has been tuned to about 240bhp...she promptly just told me if I want to use it till my car is back on the road I can do!

I don't know whether to say yes or not! Part of me is saying no it's only a couple of days and its RWD as well, another part of me is saying yes why not I'll be insured and its RWD :D

Fudgepacker
10-05-09, 07:00 PM
Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttt

ZS
11-05-09, 07:42 AM
However, I've had an interesting offer...

a friend of mine who lives locally drives an E36 BMW 328 which has been tuned to about 240bhp...she promptly just told me if I want to use it till my car is back on the road I can do!

I don't know whether to say yes or not! Part of me is saying no it's only a couple of days and its RWD as well, another part of me is saying yes why not I'll be insured and its RWD :D

Maybe the Drive Shaft didn't turn up again in time for wednesday? maybe it has been lost in the post... maybe you'll have to drive the BMW for the next year... oh dear what a shame! lol :spank:

stamford
11-05-09, 09:12 AM
Don't do it! You'll end up wanting one and become a *****!

arwilson80
11-05-09, 09:33 AM

...assuming he isn't already. ;) ;)

:joker: :tease: :angel:

Phate
11-05-09, 10:56 AM

Ha I won't. I've driven a mates 328, and whilst they go well and are great cars...you don't get the same sense of speed and they don't rattle enough for me. ;)

...assuming he isn't already. ;) ;)
:joker: :tease: :angel:

Subject to opinion ;)

Phate
13-05-09, 01:22 PM
Right update:

Fitted the new driveshaft, everything seemed fine - about 6 miles or so down the road same banging noise. We checked, the CV boot had twisted...not good.

I can't do technical talk, but long and short of it the DIF is knackered so new gearbox needed.

Simon's ZS-120
13-05-09, 01:27 PM
how do you drive your car may i ask as it seems your foot seems to be alot unstable as mine i collect points you rip your car apart

ZS
13-05-09, 01:29 PM
Right update:

Fitted the new driveshaft, everything seemed fine - about 6 miles or so down the road same banging noise. We checked, the CV boot had twisted...not good.

I can't do technical talk, but long and short of it the DIF is knackered so new gearbox needed.

Nah... replace the diff ;)

Phate
13-05-09, 01:31 PM
hmm

Phate
16-05-09, 06:32 PM
Update for you all:

Drove down to Portsmouth today in the tin can (I needed new ears by the time I got there) and picked up my replacement box from ZS :)

Now I have to arrange getting it changed over...we are going to do the clutch at the same time and Dad's talking about the cambelts as well....might as well get it done in one hit...

stamford
16-05-09, 06:37 PM
Oh I see, come down to Pompey and don't say hello! :p

afcbadam
16-05-09, 06:37 PM
good luck with the work jake. hope you get the ears sorted aswell! lol

Phate
16-05-09, 06:39 PM
Oh I see, come down to Pompey and don't say hello! :p

Nothing personal fella, I didn't want to add any additional miles to my trip that were not necessary...damn van :(

Seriously, my ears are still bloody ringing!

Plus I don't have your number! PM me it, I have to take my old box to ZS when they are swapped, I'll drop you a line :)

stamford
16-05-09, 06:43 PM
You practically drove past me on the way to Sams, I know not to worry and will pm you bud.

Phate
16-05-09, 06:45 PM
You practically drove past me on the way to Sams, I know not to worry and will pm you bud.

I sense an incoming pint :look:

ZS
18-05-09, 07:46 AM
I sense an incoming pint :look:

Or a Mini Meet ;) (Not the BMW MINI :joker:)

When you looking to pop down Jake?

Phate
18-05-09, 09:26 AM
Well, last night I twisted my ankle (and it fecking hurts) so I can't walk or drive anywhere at the minute...and I havent had a definitive time when the gearbox is going to be swapped. :(

Phate
19-05-09, 11:25 PM
Update:

Ankle is lots better, I can almost walk again and I can drive :) - Went to take the car to the yard today (cos when we left it on the driveway it was driving, just carefully) Got to the end of the road and the clutch just went...urgh. So with said bad ankle and sisters bf we pushed it back up the road and Dad with the car transporter is coming to get it tomorrow....thank gawd we've got all the bits!

However, I'm picking up a cambelt kit for it tomorrow as we are going to do that at the same time...cambelt, clutch, gearbox, driveshaft.....wow....now what are the chances of that going smoothly and done by Sunday? :D

stamford
20-05-09, 06:43 AM
How many black cats have you run over? Can't believe the luck you have had recently Jake. Hope all goes smoothly.

ZS
20-05-09, 07:55 AM
Cambelt kit? Is it yours to keep? Thinking I could do the cambelt on my two cars if I could get hold of the tools (but loathed to spend £500 on a set of tools I'll probably use once!)

Phate
20-05-09, 09:03 AM
How many black cats have you run over? Can't believe the luck you have had recently Jake. Hope all goes smoothly.

Tell me about it :(

Thanks though dude, it'll all get sorted out eventually...just can't wait till I get back in it!

Phate
20-05-09, 09:04 AM
Cambelt kit? Is it yours to keep? Thinking I could do the cambelt on my two cars if I could get hold of the tools (but loathed to spend £500 on a set of tools I'll probably use once!)

The tool kit is about £180?

stamford
20-05-09, 09:28 AM
The kit is more than that as a whole, the actual 'kit' is not 100% complete and requires further pieces to be bought in order to do it properly and without bodging but a garage tooled up might be able to work around this. Someone on here works for Sealey, can't remember who and should know what part numbers they consist of. Not the first time it has come up.

Here's the link http://www.tools-n-all.co.uk/Items/Item.aspx?SKU=ast.4600&caSKU=ast.4600&caTitle=Ast%204600%20Land%20Rover/Mg/Rover%20V6%20Petrol%20Setting%20Locking

Phate
20-05-09, 09:31 AM
Aye, just talking to Sam about this on msn. The workshop we have is fully tooled up and if we can work around it we will, if not we will get the proper timing kit. :)

Phate
20-05-09, 04:05 PM
Right...it's in the theatre :D

Work starts first thing tomorrow :) To get it there I used my breakdown cover (not sure why I didn't do that before!!!)

But yes, very excited now! hopefully my foot will be well enough to actually get down the pit and get stuck in as well.

afcbadam
20-05-09, 04:11 PM
all the best with the work buddy. hope you get it back on the road asap!

Phate
20-05-09, 04:13 PM
Thanks mate, I reckon it'll take about a week to do everything :)

Gonna get it checked over underneith whilst its there anyway :)

Phate
29-05-09, 01:39 AM
UPDATE:

Car gets started on tomorrow at 8am. Yes I've said that before but it's actually in the workshop with the tools sitting next to it, I can't wait :D

Only we don't have yet is the cambelt stuff but I might just do the gearbox, clutch and DS tomorrow so I can atleast use it and do the cambelt in a couple of weeks. God I need a V6 fix!!!

Maxfly
29-05-09, 09:11 AM
good stuff fella, i wid be goin stir crazy right noo if it wis me in yer position!!! :)

ZS
29-05-09, 09:19 AM
Jake... Wanna buy my hatch 120? much easier to if things go wrong and probably more in suiting to your money issues :P

Phate
29-05-09, 09:54 AM
Jake... Wanna buy my hatch 120? much easier to if things go wrong and probably more in suiting to your money issues :P

Work has been busy recently so money isn't too much of a problem right now :)

Doesn't mean I can afford an LSD though :p

Bonnet is off the car (had other stuff to do before coming over here this morning) and work is starting very shortly. :thumbsup:

I actually dreamt of driving my car last night, how sad am I :sleeping:

stamford
29-05-09, 10:04 AM
Good to hear work is picking up, you won't have time to play with the zed ;)

RudeDogg1
29-05-09, 10:23 AM
u could waxol its underside whiule its over the pit just an idea lol

Phate
29-05-09, 10:32 AM
u could waxol its underside whiule its over the pit just an idea lol

This is to help prevent rust isn't it?

I'm not sure, it'll add weight ;)

Eventually this car will be a track toy only :p

Phate
29-05-09, 04:07 PM
Update:

Right today only had time to remove the battery, induction, bonnet and a couple of other bits from the bay.

Dad's gone away for the weekend so I've been trusted to do the following tomorrow.

A) Jack it up and put it nice and high on axle stands
B) Take front wheels off
C) Remove front bumper
D) Remove headlights and detango them
E) Fit uprated rear brakes.
F) Refit rear bumper (it's been knocked so is sagging)

Basically everything that has been a 'another one to add to the list' job is going to be done. The uprated rear brakes I've had for yonks but never got round to fitting them, also the headlights I've been meaning to detango for quite a while now etc.

Trying to think of what else I've wanted to do to it (cept strip it out add a ton of NOS and annihilate everything at the track :D)

I'm also going to take the front bumper and bonnet to the bodyshop to see about getting them resprayed, they are in SERIOUS need of doing....stone chip city.

RudeDogg1
29-05-09, 05:09 PM
This is to help prevent rust isn't it?

I'm not sure, it'll add weight ;)

Eventually this car will be a track toy only :p

yes it is its black **** lol

RudeDogg1
29-05-09, 05:11 PM
Update:

I'm also going to take the front bumper and bonnet to the bodyshop to see about getting them resprayed, they are in SERIOUS need of doing....stone chip city.

Ive been thinking about doing the sakme i didnt notice till the last time i washed it. Tink its from when i lived in the sticks for a year. How much does it cost?

TjP
29-05-09, 05:13 PM
Sounds like a daunting amount of work to be done! It'll be a great feeling though, when it's all done :)

Waxoyl is something I've been meaning to do to mine, since the Mk2s have F all protection underneath. Mk1 shouldn't be too bad under there I wouldn't think, but it's a worth while job even so!

Phate
29-05-09, 05:38 PM
Sounds like a daunting amount of work to be done! It'll be a great feeling though, when it's all done :)

Yes it is, but its off the road so might as well do it all really :) Otherwise I'll only be tinkering with it later!!!!

I'm also tempted to get the door cards done in blue by that company posted not long ago. Lets see how business goes :)

MG TF steering wheel I'm also tempted by....argh

Phate
30-05-09, 04:09 PM
Update:

A) Jack it up and put it nice and high on axle stands - Done
B) Take front wheels off - Done
C) Remove front bumper - Done
D) Remove headlights and detango them - Headlights are off, detangoing this weekend
E) Fit uprated rear brakes. - Done
F) Refit rear bumper (it's been knocked so is sagging) - Done

:)

Jay-ZS+
30-05-09, 04:26 PM
Hope you have some silvertech indicator bulbs to go in as MUCH easier to do when the headlights are off!!!

Phate
30-05-09, 04:28 PM
Hope you have some silvertech indicator bulbs to go in as MUCH easier to do when the headlights are off!!!

Ah...no I don't...

I was gonna wack them in the oven to melt the glue so I could take the orange lens out...does it not have an orange bulb in it then?

Jay-ZS+
30-05-09, 04:37 PM
Yer theres an orange filter that you want to remove spray the reflector silver, But with the orange bulbs you get a "fried egg" look so the silver bulbs prevent that :)

Phate
02-06-09, 04:50 PM
Cheers Jay, shall get the bulbs ordered :)

Went to work on it today annnd....Dad got called away :( - till saturday :cry:

However, I did get a text from him saying get the Air con man to degas the system so we can take the engine out on Saturday/Sunday :D

\o/ < thats me

Jay-ZS+
02-06-09, 05:45 PM
If its any help mate I will hopefully (fingerscrossed) be fitting the MK2 bumper this weekend just need to get hold of another light, But will be taking my old headlights off they are already deoranged with the bulbs!

Phate
02-06-09, 08:14 PM
Oh really? Fancy a straight swap?

Jay-ZS+
02-06-09, 08:30 PM
Well to be honest was hoping to sell em could do with the cash at the mo

Phate
02-06-09, 08:34 PM
No worries matey, I'll just detango my ones :)

Phate
04-06-09, 02:02 PM
So today a part I forgot I had ordered turned up....replacement passenger door handle :D

So tomorrow I'm going to take it, the bonnet and the bumper down to a few bodyshops and book them in somewhere to get them painted. The bonnet and front bumper are stone chipped to oblivion nand the handle is black haha.

stamford
04-06-09, 04:31 PM
Shouldn't you have been someone else today? ;)

Phate
05-06-09, 01:50 AM
Yes I should have Mr Mick but I had some work come in which I had to take!

stamford
05-06-09, 07:13 AM
Can't be turning work down, no problem.

Phate
05-06-09, 10:23 AM
Bloody typical, it's dead all week then I get 3 calls come in on Thursday.

On a brighter note Dads back today so I'm gonna go over and its grease monkey time :D

peterzs
05-06-09, 10:37 AM
If youve got all this work on the car, how come your always on here. Not leaving it to your dad to do are you???:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Phate
05-06-09, 10:42 AM
If youve got all this work on the car, how come your always on here. Not leaving it to your dad to do are you???:smile2::smile2::smile2:

I can only work on it when my Dad is there as I don't know what I'm doing. And my Dad is a very busy man :( :)

arwilson80
05-06-09, 11:13 AM
I can only work on it when my Dad is there as I don't know what I'm doing. And my Dad is a very busy man :( :)

Chain him to the car when you get him there... :D

stamford
05-06-09, 12:20 PM
Get stuck in, best way to learn!

Phate
05-06-09, 01:52 PM
Get stuck in, best way to learn!

When its something like my car I'd rather someone who knows what they are doing do it for me, don't want to risk it falling to bits hehe.

ZS
05-06-09, 02:03 PM
When its something like my car I'd rather someone who knows what they are doing do it for me, don't want to risk it falling to bits hehe.

Its an MG... isn't that normal? :p :tease:

Phate
05-06-09, 02:12 PM
Its an MG... isn't that normal? :p :tease:

I meant even moreso :p

stamford
05-06-09, 02:24 PM
If you did get stuck in Jake, you would as qualified as the Friday afternoon shift at Longbridge ;)

Phate
05-06-09, 02:25 PM
If you did get stuck in Jake, you would as qualified as the Friday afternoon shift at Longbridge ;)

Thats what worries me!

Phate
07-06-09, 02:52 PM
Update :)

Did lots today!

The front end bar the wings is almost completely stripped and we found out where the car is bent from the original accident :) - Cant believe we hadnt spotted it earlier its so blatantly obvious (well most things are when its just a shell haha)

So when the engine comes out (only being held in by a driveshaft and engine mounts now) (everything else has been disconnected) the car is going to 'metal Mick' :D to be jigged and straightened like it should have been when originally repaired - should sort my panel gaps out ;)

When dismantling we also noticed how badly the car had been repaired - bolts missing bits hanging off - its worrying!

Anyway pics to follow later as Im about to eat for the first time in 36hours :blink: and I'll show you where the car is bent.

Hopefully get the engine out tomorrow or Tuesday :)

afcbadam
07-06-09, 03:02 PM
jake, out of curiousity how much is all your recent work costing?? would it not have been cheaper to buy another zs??

Phate
07-06-09, 03:12 PM
jake, out of curiousity how much is all your recent work costing?? would it not have been cheaper to buy another zs??

Gearbox I paid £50 for, driveshaft £30, clutch Ive had for ages can't remember how much I paid for it. The jigging is going on Dads 'tab' as is the paintwork (whole front end respray) So not that much really. The cambelt kit we paid £140 when but again Dads 'tab' (handy that)

Plus it gets to a point when you've put so much effort and time into a single car you just don't want to buy another. Plus I know my engine is very healthy from when it was dyno'd.

Eventually it will be a track toy only as I won't get anything for it if I sell it.

peterzs
07-06-09, 03:12 PM
sounds like a lot of work, lucky to have a dad who is hands on, save a few bob. You will be even faster round Brands when its all straight.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Phate
07-06-09, 03:28 PM
sounds like a lot of work, lucky to have a dad who is hands on, save a few bob. You will be even faster round Brands when its all straight.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Hehe if I had the money to buy something sensible and boring I'd strip it to the max and it really would be a track only toy.

One day :-) applied for a new contract on Friday, if I get it...big money :D

Jay-ZS+
07-06-09, 04:32 PM

If bits start falling off they obviously werent ment to be there in the first place :construction: Adam when do you fancy doing your springs! lol

Nar with all the help on here if you do get stuck least know someone will be able to give guidance,
Sounds like a lot of work but fair play for keeping the car going :thumbsup:

stamford
07-06-09, 04:58 PM
Sounds like it is coming together Jake, be like a new car when completed.

Phate
07-06-09, 05:37 PM
Hehe very true Jay :)

Aye Mick, it will be. Specially with the short gearshift link now ordered :D - light weight flywheel is on the cards atm as the money for that fell through...sucks lol.

Anyway, this is what the car currently looks like

http://www.je-design.co.uk/sad.jpg

Took that as we downed tools today.

Nor
07-06-09, 05:39 PM
I knew the engine was a tight fit in the ZS, but that shows just how tight :)

peterzs
07-06-09, 05:40 PM
One day :-) applied for a new contract on Friday, if I get it...big money :D[/QUOTE]

Best of luck, keep everything crossed.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I thought thats the way you usuually drove it!!!

Phate
07-06-09, 05:42 PM
And here is where it's bent

http://www.je-design.co.uk/bent.jpg

http://www.je-design.co.uk/bent1.jpg

Still not sure where that is?

http://www.je-design.co.uk/bent2.jpg

Right there...didn't realise it until today. So we'll get it jigged to straighten it all up as it should be :)

Phate
07-06-09, 05:43 PM
I knew the engine was a tight fit in the ZS, but that shows just how tight :)

Aye its a proper squeeze, worth it though :D

Jay-ZS+
07-06-09, 05:54 PM
Hope you remember how it all goes back together otherwise you will be left with a couple of washers and bolts after its all back together! :laugh: not that thats ever happened to me :whistle:

Phate
07-06-09, 05:55 PM
Hope you remember how it all goes back together otherwise you will be left with a couple of washers and bolts after its all back together! :laugh: not that thats ever happened to me :whistle:

There have been many jokes about this already :D and possibly a £5 bet :D

Phate
08-06-09, 06:25 PM
Todays efforts...

Time for the big guns:

http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/1.jpg

Latch it on
http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/2.jpg

Double check!
http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/3.jpg

It's now or never! Has it moved? ;)
http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/4.jpg

Err...my engine appears to be missing :D
http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/5.jpg

http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/6.jpg

http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/7.jpg

:mml:

Needless to say I'm pleased!!! The engine is out and tomorrow night its old gearbox off + if possible new one and new clutch on. Then its cambelt *gulps*

I'll take my SLR to the yard tomorrow and take lots of BIG photos if anyone is interested. :)

Jay-ZS+
08-06-09, 06:34 PM
Now thats what I call weight saving!!! :D Looking very intresting Phate wish I had a project like this just without the cost lol, Would love to take my engine apart and polish the head and bits and peices but very much doubt Id get it back together, Fair play to you and your dad :thumbsup:

afcbadam
08-06-09, 07:13 PM
jake tell me where it located and ill be up in a few hours to pinch them manifolds!

looks like a huge amont of work, i so hope your pleased with the results. lol

Phate
08-06-09, 07:16 PM
Dad and I were talking and we were both convinced to do the cambelts it must be easier to remove the engine than do it with the engine in.

It's taking 4.5hrs to get the engine out and we don't know what we are doing. A Rover MG specialist could do it much quicker.

afcbadam
08-06-09, 07:18 PM
a mg specialist said he can remove and refit a kv6 and have it running in 8 hours. not bad going me thinks. its always quicker and easier to remove things! the hard work is yet to begin

Maxfly
08-06-09, 07:20 PM
Dad and I were talking and we were both convinced to do the cambelts it must be easier to remove the engine than do it with the engine in.

It's taking 4.5hrs to get the engine out and we don't know what we are doing. A Rover MG specialist could do it much quicker.

should do mate, i think there a mg rover vids somewhere that were used for training technicians on how to change the cambelts on the kv6 an as you would expect it's just the engine on a stand. you should have a search for em, may help you with the job in hand:)

Phate
08-06-09, 07:20 PM
a mg specialist said he can remove and refit a kv6 and have it running in 8 hours. not bad going me thinks. its always quicker and easier to remove things! the hard work is yet to begin

And the car is being worked on just outside of Brentwood, Essex if you want to steal the manis :p

Phate
08-06-09, 07:21 PM
should do mate, i think there a mg rover vids somewhere that were used for training technicians on how to change the cambelts on the kv6 an as you would expect it's just the engine on a stand. you should have a search for em, may help you with the job in hand:)

Ah awesome, I'll get looking :)

afcbadam
08-06-09, 07:22 PM
And the car is being worked on just outside of Brentwood, Essex if you want to steal the manis :p

consider them stolen.... i will be fair....i leave you my old ones :joker:

Phate
08-06-09, 07:26 PM
consider them stolen.... i will be fair....i leave you my old ones :joker:

Ta ;)

Just beware the dogs :police:

shroonie29
08-06-09, 07:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/kv6coupe cambelt vid ;)

Shroon

Phate
08-06-09, 07:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/kv6coupe cambelt vid ;)

Shroon

Awesome thanks :D

His one is cleaner than mine though!

afcbadam
08-06-09, 08:04 PM
interesting video. looks quite easy on that, i bet its a nightmare to do though. especially with the engine in the car

Phate
08-06-09, 08:11 PM
interesting video. looks quite easy on that, i bet its a nightmare to do though. especially with the engine in the car

Indeed....should be errrm....fun *gulps*

Phate
09-06-09, 06:32 PM
Update:

Tonight we removed the gearbox and clutch

http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/8.jpg

And started to removed the belt and covers for the cambelt on the other side

http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/9.jpg

Now I'm pretty convinced that the cambelt is simply not doable without removing the engine. It's got so much in the way in the first place, then you've gotta run the belt etc.

Either way, PITA...

We got a bit further than pictured, but my phone memory was full and we were both shattered so just came home.

Rock on tomorrow :)

Jay-ZS+
09-06-09, 06:38 PM
We got a bit further than pictured, but my phone memory was full

Yer yer too many cups of tea I reckon! lol

Nar looks good so far phate dunno how anything can be done to the v6 when still in the car theres no room to move at all!!
So you thought of modding anything else while its so accessible

Bobdope2002
09-06-09, 06:51 PM
Yer yer too many cups of tea I reckon! lol

Nar looks good so far phate dunno how anything can be done to the v6 when still in the car theres no room to move at all!!

you can actually change the clutch and gearbox with the engine still in place u just need to jack it up above your head which im sure you cant do lol

stamford
09-06-09, 07:01 PM
Lates can do it under 2 hours in situ. They have got it off to a fine art.

Bobdope2002
09-06-09, 07:13 PM
Lates can do it under 2 hours in situ. They have got it off to a fine art.

bout the same time at rsm i think

peterzs
09-06-09, 08:54 PM
I've pulled out a MGB engine/gearbox to do the clutch, but that was a doddle compared to the V6, I thought it looked like a heart in your photo, with all the pipes and things dangling down. Still that is what it is I suppose.

Respect, to you and your dad for having a go, I,m sure it will all go back, with all the new bits on and go better and faster.

After this at least you can say you have done the work yourself and know how it all works. Keep the photos coming.

Are you dressed all smart like the guy in the video. :bow::bow::bow:

Phate
09-06-09, 08:57 PM

Such as?

Only thing I can think of is a light weight flywheel

Phate
09-06-09, 08:58 PM
Are you dressed all smart like the guy in the video. :bow::bow::bow:

Not exactly :p

stamford
09-06-09, 09:49 PM
Such as?

Only thing I can think of is a light weight flywheel

Balanced bottom end, head rework, cams, single belt conversion...............:whistle:

Phate
10-06-09, 09:14 AM
So not much then :p

I'll think I'll wait for the new plenum personally ;)

ZS
10-06-09, 09:46 AM
So not much then :p

I'll think I'll wait for the new plenum personally ;)

Then remove the engine again to fir the plenum? ;)

Phate
10-06-09, 10:59 AM
Then remove the engine again to fir the plenum? ;)

The engine wont need removing to fit the plenum ;)

ZS
10-06-09, 12:05 PM
The engine wont need removing to fit the plenum ;)

Thats what you think ;) :guns:

Now... where is my Gearbox :P lol

Phate
10-06-09, 05:28 PM
Your gearbox is currently sitting on the workshop floor along with lots of other bits. It's finding the time to get it to you now dude! I'll txt you when I can give you a definate date! :)

Phate
16-06-09, 11:29 AM
Update:

Just a quick note as I am very busy today!

Cambelt, 2x camshaft belts, water pump - DONE :D :smile2:

Having the cambelt done is a very big worry off my mind and one of the camshaft belts looked brand new and the other asif it was going to snap any second...

And no special tools used :) pics to follow later.

Phate
16-06-09, 08:26 PM
Another update, spent a further bit of time on it this evening. Rebuilt that entire side of the engine (cambelt side) Then fitted the new release bearing to the replacement gearbox, removed the clutch lever and greased it up as it was feeling a little stiff fitted it back in - gorgeous!

Tomorrow morning - 6.30am clutch and gearbox is going on :D

Then a few things need finishing, I've replaced the spark plugs so want to replace the filters at the same time and change the oil (its been a while now) - Then its time to start thinking about getting the engine back in. Woop! :smile2:

stamford
16-06-09, 08:43 PM
Good feeling when it comes together, especially when you have done the bulk of it. I've never had such luck, always done it myself with no assistance, girls don't like getting dirty.............you know what I mean! :sly:

afcbadam
16-06-09, 08:46 PM
glad its slowly beign put back together, i bet your really missing it now??? especially having to drive that van in the mean time!

Phate
16-06-09, 10:03 PM
Good feeling when it comes together, especially when you have done the bulk of it. I've never had such luck, always done it myself with no assistance, girls don't like getting dirty.............you know what I mean! :sly:

Very true Mick - When the cambelt was 'done' this morning I satback and just let out a long deep breathe. Such a releif that I don't have to worry about it exploding everytime it hit the redline (:p)

You are right I'm really lucky to have Dad and a fully loaded workshop (shame I'm too damn thick to use them!)

I'm very grateful for it and pleased good progress is being made :)

Phate
16-06-09, 10:04 PM
glad its slowly beign put back together, i bet your really missing it now??? especially having to drive that van in the mean time!

Missing it...doesn't quite cover it ;)

I need a V6 fix soon!!!

Phate
16-06-09, 11:23 PM
Ah, heres how we did the cambelt without the special tools.

http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/11.jpg

Ignoring the fact this is infact the new cambelt on, look at the 2 large cogs. Before taking the old cambelt off we marked them with a very technical substance more commonly known as tip ex. We took the old belt off and the cogs sprung round, but due to the markings knew where to put the cogs back into place when it came to fitting the new belt.

So with the belt off we fitted new tensioners and water pump. And proceeded to fitting the belt.

So as described above I used a spanner and turned the cog back into the correct position, now we needed a 3rd person so came up with this concoction instead

http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/10.jpg

You like? :D - It held the cog in position as we fitted the belt, did a similar thing the other side. Fitted the belt so it was perfeck, removed the rachets etc holding it all...turned it over via the crank...and no knocking noise...the sound of bliss :smart:

I wasn't there when the camshaft belts were done, but it took minutes (again, no special tools used) so it couldn't have been hard :)

Thats the biggest part over really! :D

vinny1979
17-06-09, 04:34 AM
:(

Phate
17-06-09, 05:45 AM
:(

?

peterzs
17-06-09, 12:03 PM
I take it the Quality Sweets were payment to your dad!! Glad your getting there, are we going to have a mini-meet for the start up???:happy2::wave::wave:

Phate
17-06-09, 12:20 PM
I take it the Quality Sweets were payment to your dad!! Glad your getting there, are we going to have a mini-meet for the start up???:happy2::wave::wave:

Ha na empty tins from Xmas sweets used as 'bolts buckets'

If you want to come to Brentwood in Essex your welcome to it :p we may be starting it up this afternoon! Who knows!!!

Marky Mark
17-06-09, 12:48 PM
Nice one mate!! Hope the clutch slave cylinder was all okay?

Bet you can't wait to get her back on the road and blast the cobwebs away Lol :happy2:

stamford
17-06-09, 12:54 PM

No, they are there to collect all the bits he forgot to put back! ;)

peterzs
17-06-09, 01:17 PM
Best of luck, we are doing the grandkids school run this afternoon, or it would have been, Brentwood here we come!!!:super::super::super:

Marky Mark
17-06-09, 01:38 PM
No, they are there to collect all the bits he forgot to put back! ;)

Lol, those chocolates must of all melted by now anyway :fun:

Phate
17-06-09, 04:14 PM
Best of luck, we are doing the grandkids school run this afternoon, or it would have been, Brentwood here we come!!!:super::super::super:

Heh, the Engine is going in tomorrow morning now as lots has come up and we are all tired.

But we really were walking around to make sure we haven't left any bits off it. Roll on tomorrow morning :)

Phate
17-06-09, 04:16 PM
Nice one mate!! Hope the clutch slave cylinder was all okay?

Bet you can't wait to get her back on the road and blast the cobwebs away Lol :happy2:

Fitting it tomorrow morning mate :)

Marky Mark
17-06-09, 07:25 PM
Fitting it tomorrow morning mate :)

Nice! Hope all goes well getting the engine back in, and starting her up mate, fingers crossed :mml:

Jay-ZS+
17-06-09, 07:35 PM
Progress is looking good mate, Bet you really cant wait to fire it up!

Phate
17-06-09, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys, been chatting with Dad tonight. Reckon 3 hours and we'll have it in. Then I'm going for a spin :D

peterzs
17-06-09, 09:41 PM
Dont forget to put in the new oil, I was reading on another forum that the zt engine was having problems after a service, they recommended putting new oil in the oil filter so that you dont start up with no oil in the system.

Dont want to tell your dad how to suck eggs, but it may help, I've never done this but it makes sense, the other thing is to pull the plug leads off and spin the engine up till you get some oil pressure.

Still if your dads into engines he will know a lot more than me!!!

All the best and glad your almost there.:wave::wave::wave:

shroonie29
17-06-09, 09:49 PM
New oil in the filter is good practise I think.
I certainly would not put a filter on without filling it first.
http://www.autoenginelube.com/ any thoughts?

shroon

peterzs
17-06-09, 10:01 PM
I must admit I've never filled the filter before fitting it, but thinking about it, it makes sense.

Also spinning the engine, but not letting it fire up.

I've always put in an additive into the oil and I have always thought that this gives a bit of protection as it is suppose to stick to the wearing surface if the oil drains away.:clap::clap::clap:

stamford
17-06-09, 10:39 PM
A neat sales pitch but I'm not buying. If that were true then every engine manufacturer would fit such a device. In the years of car ownership I have lost very few engines. Any engine that has been rebuilt or stood for some time has always been primed first, removal of leads or fuel relays always did the trick. The slant four vauxhalls I rebuilt always were primed by removing the distributor and spinning the pump spindle using an adaptor and electric drill until the pressure built up.

Never filled the filters as oil is already in the system. Once the filter is screwed into place any remaining oil in the housing flows anyway. Pointless when a filter sits 90deg to the block in some cases.

marts66
18-06-09, 11:21 AM
Agreed, always span them up first without fuel or sparks to build up pressure. This always worked well. I heard, although this might not be true that good oil filters had a valve/device to stop oil draining out overnight or while parked up while cheaper ones didn't.

Had a mate that used to run RS2000s and always fitted a kill switch and span them up until the gauge showed pressure EVERY 'KIN TIME! Even after filling up, did my head in.

Phate
19-06-09, 12:14 PM
Update:

Well we are severely running low on things to bolt on. The car is certainly looking more car like (minues bonnet, bumper and lights) and we are looking to start her by 4 this afternoon :)

Only thing we are having problems with is the clutch slave cylinder. When fitting the master slave we pushed the clutch pedal a few things and now its gone solid. So we are trying to bleed/get it working.

Stay tuned!

peterzs
19-06-09, 12:22 PM
Best of luck, hope you sort out the clutch.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What clutch kit have you got, if you look at Micks post ref AA I think he is saying that the O/E set up is not bleedable as its a sealed unit. Maybe worth giving him a call.:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Phate
19-06-09, 12:28 PM
I'm away from the yard until 3. And dad won't be back till 2ish. So hes going to carry on when he gets back and I'll get there for 3 to help him finish off.

Phate
19-06-09, 12:30 PM
And thanks Pete :) - Expect a text this afternoon :D

stamford
19-06-09, 12:31 PM
Update:

Well we are severely running low on things to bolt on. The car is certainly looking more car like (minues bonnet, bumper and lights) and we are looking to start her by 4 this afternoon :)

Only thing we are having problems with is the clutch slave cylinder. When fitting the master slave we pushed the clutch pedal a few things and now its gone solid. So we are trying to bleed/get it working.

Stay tuned!

Correct me if I am wrong but if the slave required bleeding (if at all possible) then it would be because of a loose pedal and inability to change gear. A solid pedal would tell me that there is a mechanical block in the system. Disconnect the slave from the master, does the pushrod have any resistence? Can you push the clutch arm manually? Remove the slave from the gearbox, reconnect to master pipe, depress the pedal, does the pushrod actuate forward? When the pedal is returned can you push the slave pushrod back?

Phate
19-06-09, 12:45 PM
Well we can push the pedal down without any problems (feels like it should) but the slave cylinder just isn't pushing the clutch lever on the gearbox. It's very odd...

I'll give the above ago when we get back if Dad hasn't sorted it :) Thanks dude!

Phate
19-06-09, 12:50 PM
Just reread your post

Disconnect the slave from the master, does the pushrod have any resistence?

Yes you can't push it down at all.

Can you push the clutch arm manually?

Yep, feels fine.

Remove the slave from the gearbox, reconnect to master pipe, depress the pedal, does the pushrod actuate forward?

No

When the pedal is returned can you push the slave pushrod back?

Nope, as mentioned above. It's solid.

stamford
19-06-09, 01:21 PM
Right, so the pedal isn't solid, is it softer than before? sounds like you have air in the system which will be hard to dispel. Try the master and slave separately by pushing against the rod, if it is soft then there is air present, if met with tough resistance then it is okay.

stamford
19-06-09, 01:25 PM
My last post was in limbo due to work!

Sounds like the problem is the master to me. When the slave is not connected to the gearbox and hanging the pedal should push the rod forward. When the pedal comes back up there should be play in the slave rod in order for you to push back manually (the clutch release arm would do this under pressure if connected to gearbox)

Phate
19-06-09, 04:47 PM
Argh.

An hours work! Literally! That's all thats left to do!!!!!!! And Dads been called away and it's beyond my mechanical knowledge to get it finished

So tonight I came home in the van....annoying, yes. But 10am tomorrow I'll be driving it.

Something to look forward to I guess.

Phate
19-06-09, 04:59 PM
All thats left to do:

Fit Right hand driveshaft (this is what I can't do, can do everything else)
Fit air con pipes (well plug them into the air con rad)
Fit battery tray
Fit ecu
Fit battery
Fit induction + CAF
Fit bar which goes behind the front bumper
Fit wheels, bumper, bonnet, lights

Add fluids - start.

That is literally it. Heres a pic when we left tonight.

http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/12.jpg

peterzs
19-06-09, 05:00 PM
Brentwood you have been warned!!!:mbounce::mbounce::mbounce::beer2:

Phate
19-06-09, 05:01 PM
Brentwood you have been warned!!!

Ha, they know alll about me :p

Marky Mark
19-06-09, 05:12 PM
Hope it all gets sorted out mate in the morning, so you shall have a big cheesy grin back soon mate ;)

Phate
19-06-09, 05:15 PM
Thanks dude :)

Phate
20-06-09, 07:46 AM
Actions stations people! GO GO GO!!!

Jay-ZS+
20-06-09, 08:19 AM
good luck today mate hope it goes well know what you will be doing the rest of the weekend it you get it all back together!! Will have to come to the RR day at janspeed ;)

stamford
20-06-09, 08:33 AM
Hope all goes well today fella. I'm sitting here waiting for my clutch kit to turn up. If not then it'll be more pain driving the Jimny!

Phate
20-06-09, 09:26 AM
all thats left to do:

Fit right hand driveshaft (this is what i can't do, can do everything else) - done
fit air con pipes (well plug them into the air con rad) - done
fit battery tray - done
fit ecu - done
fit battery - done
fit induction + caf
fit bar which goes behind the front bumper - done
fit wheels, bumper, bonnet, lights - lights done, dad is just doing the exhaust then its bar and bumper.

Add fluids - start.

getting very excited :d

afcbadam
20-06-09, 09:27 AM
will it be running by the end of the day??

Phate
20-06-09, 09:54 AM
will it be running by the end of the day??

It'll be running within the hour!

Induction and CAF - done
Bar behind the bumper - done

Dads finishing the exhaust then its fluids and start up time :)

peterzs
20-06-09, 10:54 AM
Then yiou can sit back and watch practise at Silverstone, good timeing or what!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Maxfly
20-06-09, 11:18 AM
sweet stuff, just getting the car started an running will be guid enough far less driving it again:D

Phate
20-06-09, 11:43 AM
Well....

Not beating about the bush. It started on first go sounded a little 'mucky' for the first few seconds then cleared itself and was ticking over at about 1200rpm. Tried to engage a gear...no go :cry:

The slave cylinder isn't pushing the gear lever on the box far enough! DAMMIT!!

So going back tomorrow morning to have a play and see what we can do. I'm going to have a read up about ways of tweaking it as well.

It's odd. I'm chuffed to bits its running but at the same time gutted I didn't drive it home!

Pics to follow

Phate
20-06-09, 11:48 AM
http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/13.jpg

Took this in between posts on here :)

http://www.je-design.co.uk/zed/14.jpg

peterzs
20-06-09, 01:38 PM
Does that big red rescue truck follow you everywhere now???:whistle::whistle::whistle::unsure::mml:

Phate
20-06-09, 01:43 PM
Funny man :p

That's the wrecker! Very old lorry that, kick arse bit of kit though :)

peterzs
20-06-09, 02:04 PM
Our lorry was stolen from our yard and we had to pick it up from a recovery yard just off the M25, on the way back, a friend of my boss, who was in the Army wanted dropping off to pick up a Recovery Lorry he had just bought.

It was a tank recovery lorry, I think it was a Centurion ( I know thats also a tank name) or something. Anyhow I followed him back to the M25 but he had to fill up first. This thing needed a ladder to climb up to the cab, filled the filling station.

He belongs to a group that restores and shows WW2 vehicles and he bought it incase any needed recovering. Had the specs lift, plus crane lift, now that was a brute.

Hope you sort the clutch out, so near yet so far.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phate
21-06-09, 10:24 AM
Ladies and gents....I have my car back :D

Dan1971
21-06-09, 10:31 AM
What .... and it's amoving under it's own steam ????

Phate
21-06-09, 10:45 AM
I drove round my dads in it ;)

Maxfly
21-06-09, 11:06 AM
nice one fella, take it everything is running sweetly then? :)

Phate
21-06-09, 12:29 PM
I don't f***ing believe this!

Going to my dads. Straight line not even pushing it and bang it's done a driveshaft. Exactly same as before!

Pretty lost with what to do with it. I've abandoned it and waiting for Dad to come and get me but we can replace a driveshaft only for it to go again?

God noes. Jeez I need a drink - good thing I'm on my way to a party lol

stamford
21-06-09, 01:02 PM
What part has gone? There must be a reason if the same one same part.

Marky Mark
21-06-09, 05:44 PM
This doesn't sound right mate? Are you sure its the driveshaft that has gone?

carmadbaker
21-06-09, 06:20 PM
differential ah?! i think not dude.... the boys told ya the front end is very twisted....(hence your camber adjusters) your whole engine/gearbox/drive train is probably sitting very pi55ed, i know its hard....but sometimes its best to throw in the towel while your ahead. BRG mk1 180 for sale in chatham..... £2600! money well spent in my opinion....

TjP
21-06-09, 06:51 PM
That sucks! Really unlucky dude.

Sounds like something must be causing undue stress on the shaft or joints.

Phate
21-06-09, 07:43 PM
differential ah?! i think not dude.... the boys told ya the front end is very twisted....(hence your camber adjusters) your whole engine/gearbox/drive train is probably sitting very pi55ed, i know its hard....but sometimes its best to throw in the towel while your ahead. BRG mk1 180 for sale in chatham..... £2600! money well spent in my opinion....

With all due respect Dan I personally think thats not true. Whilst yes the front end is bent the original driveshaft still lasted a year of hard driving, why its mullered now 3 in less than 10 miles on each I'm not sure.

Phate
21-06-09, 07:43 PM
What part has gone? There must be a reason if the same one same part.

Same part, the rubber has twisted on the driveshaft - at the end it connects to the gearbox.

carmadbaker
21-06-09, 07:53 PM
but there really is no other explanation for it really....since you've had your zorst etc don't u find your foot being planted a little harder than before? giving the car and parts alot more abuse...hence...twisted chassis eating drive shafts....if your putting the rubbers at funny angles then its ganna be easy to eat them up...

peterzs
21-06-09, 08:25 PM
What a B******, gutted for you, I know what effort you and your dad have put into getting it up and running.

I don't know anything about drive shafts on the ZS but working on the daughters mini there were cages that used to break up. Could it be the wheel side, bearing collapsed or something.

Can the front disk jam on or the caliper lock on, might be talking rubbish but may be worth thinking outside the box.

After all that work dont give up on it, hope you get it sorted. Is it worth giving Ralph a call, see if he has had anything like it???:console::console::console:

Marky Mark
21-06-09, 08:38 PM
Looking at post 207, in the picture it looks like your battery is sitting unlevel?

I take it that is because your car is twisted slightly, I think that is the problem, and as Dan says a twisted chassis will just go through every driveshaft you try to use? :huh:

Jay-ZS+
21-06-09, 08:45 PM
Ahh **** gutted for you mate, hope you find out whats the cause and get it sorted soon as, :)

peterzs
21-06-09, 08:49 PM
Looking at post 207, in the picture it looks like your battery is sitting unlevel?

I take it that is because your car is twisted slightly, I think that is the problem, and as Dan says a twisted chassis will just go through every driveshaft you try to use? :huh:

Could you put it on a jig in a bodyshop to check if the chassis is out, and if it is, can you pull it straight???:mml::mml::mml:

Phate
21-06-09, 09:04 PM
but there really is no other explanation for it really....since you've had your zorst etc don't u find your foot being planted a little harder than before? giving the car and parts alot more abuse...hence...twisted chassis eating drive shafts....if your putting the rubbers at funny angles then its ganna be easy to eat them up...

I did 2 trackdays on it before the exhaust. It doesn't get pushed much harder than that, and I have a rep for driving cars hard anyway...its perfectly possible that after a year its taken its toll so the car now NEEDS to be jigged. But I'm also trying to think what else it could be.

The reason I'm trying to think outside of the 'its bent it needs to be jigged' is incase I spend this money getting it jigged and it turns out to be something blatantly obvious!

Phate
21-06-09, 09:13 PM

Isn't everyone elses like that?

Lens distortion doesn't help either dude.

afcbadam
21-06-09, 09:16 PM
silly question, are the hubs/wheels sitting parallel to each other? its hard to see the battery let alone if its sitting straight. if its un-level its proberly just the way the battery tray is sat anyway.

Phate
21-06-09, 09:17 PM
silly question, are the hubs/wheels sitting parallel to each other? its hard to see the battery let alone if its sitting straight. if its un-level its proberly just the way the battery tray is sat anyway.

We can measure up.

I'll go take a picture of the driveshaft in a minute. The car is sitting on the back of the single car transporter on the driveway.

starfire039
21-06-09, 09:47 PM
sorry to hear that jake, hope all is sorted soon. can't begin to comprehend how annoying it must be.

TjP
21-06-09, 10:04 PM
I dont want to be negative but if there is a serious problem it may be worth totting up how much you can get for breaking this one and see how much it would cost to buy another around the same mileage.

Having said that, with all the work you have done it would be a real shame to give up on her too easily.

Hopefully it will turn out to be a relatively easy fix for you anyway. Best of luck.

Phate
21-06-09, 10:06 PM
It's something I have been considering. What I want ideally is a mk1 (or mk2) Trophy Blue without an engine or with a duff engine in good condition going for peanuts. Then I'll just bung my engine and exhaust, induction on and away we go :)

Marky Mark
22-06-09, 12:51 AM
Found a few Trophy Blue Mark 1's on pistonheads, look good, and a good price!!:smile1:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1068129.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1068035.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1060486.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/855696.htm

stamford
22-06-09, 07:31 AM
Are all cv joints perfect? no play etc? Is the diff perfect? I still reckon you might have a faulty diff/gearbox assembly causing this. Why else would a driveshaft twist on the joint like that? Must be a related cause.

Phate
22-06-09, 07:51 AM
Are all cv joints perfect? no play etc?

Can check those...

Is the diff perfect?

How can you test this?

I still reckon you might have a faulty diff/gearbox assembly causing this. Why else would a driveshaft twist on the joint like that? Must be a related cause.
This is supposed to be a gearbox with a faultless diff?

Wheres Sam? :sly:

stamford
22-06-09, 08:06 AM
Not pointing fingers, just merely voicing an opinion as to the probable cause! Process of elimination to find cause.

Phate
22-06-09, 08:07 AM
Not pointing fingers, just merely voicing an opinion as to the probable cause! Process of elimination to find cause.

Aye I know mate. Still pondering over what to do

ZS
22-06-09, 08:39 AM
I'm here... having family issues at moment but give me a shout on the mobile, will see what we can do :)

Phate
22-06-09, 08:44 AM
I'm here... having family issues at moment but give me a shout on the mobile, will see what we can do :)

I wasn't pointing the finger fella.

If anyone can give me a way of testing the dif on this gearbox I'd be happy to do it :)

Phate
23-06-09, 05:42 PM
Update for you all - The car got dropped off today to be jigged. Once jigged we will fit a new driveshaft (yes another one) and see if it does it again. If it does it again I have an undamaged Zed waiting for me :)

Phate
01-07-09, 04:07 PM
Update:

Right when we dropped the car off to be jigged we waited 2 days then got a phone call saying the engine needed to come out and to do that, jig it and fit the engine would be 2k *faints*

SO we asked how much if we removed the engine (confident we can do it within the hour by this point) and he said he'll let us know. That was last week.

Rang him today for an update, he now reckons it can be jigged with the engine in so it's being done first thing tomorrow morning! Excited! :D

Oh and ordered a driveshaft today for when its jigged, should be here Friday :)

ZS
01-07-09, 04:12 PM
Your not replacing the car any more then? ;)

Phate
01-07-09, 04:15 PM
Your not replacing the car any more then? ;)

In short, no.

It was an um and ahh plus the replacement was silver, the single most boring colour, ever.

Phate
02-07-09, 09:24 AM
Just had a phone call from the garage. They rang me and they admitted "we wanted to hear the exhaust 'cos its very shiny" and then told me "theres a strange rattling noise coming from the top of the engine"

Soddit, so either a plenum or vis valve gone. BAH

afcbadam
02-07-09, 09:27 AM
id go with the plenum.

Phate
02-07-09, 09:28 AM
id go with the plenum.

Sounds like it, I need to russle up £150 and buy that one that guy was selling the other day. I have his details. Hmm

Phate
04-07-09, 10:00 AM
Update: Well it was jigged Thursday and got an update yesterday, basically the car is now sitting dead level, all the panel gaps are perfect, it just looks right again, car used to look like it was sagging.

And they've discovered why it was eating driveshafts like a fat kid eats cakes - basically the engine is sitting too far over the drivers side which explains why they only went when turning left. So when I turned left sharply the driveshaft would pop out of the CV boot and muller it.

So he's investigating why this is the case and going to repair it, either way I'll have it back soon, my tracking will be right out so that'll need doing (another £100ish) and it'll be bang on :D

afcbadam
04-07-09, 10:10 AM
good news jake, you must be getting excited now! i bet you will be glad to have her back where she belongs!

Phate
04-07-09, 10:18 AM
hehe just a tad. ive saved up about £400 to blow on fuel for when i get it back :D