PDA

View Full Version : My car at Rover MG parts

Pages : [1] 2

tb steve
17-05-09, 08:34 PM
well i dont post here that much but ive gone the whole hog dont know 100% what its going to the final outcome but hoping for about 230ish
still a bit to do yet but i will try and keep you posted

carbon throttle bodys (from wsr btcc)
DAT ecu
light weight flywheel
steve :)

stamford
17-05-09, 08:39 PM
Oh I hate you so much! :laugh:

Please do keep us posted as I am interested in how this pans out. Hats off to you fella.

Marky Mark
17-05-09, 08:50 PM
This project is gonna be very interesting to follow, looking forward to seeing the end product mate, and also seeing it again in our work car park!!

My zs is lonely all on its own!! Lol:console:

ZS Phil
17-05-09, 09:23 PM
Should sound sweet!

arwilson80
17-05-09, 09:24 PM
BTCC kit... Hmmm. :)

Maxxed_Ross
17-05-09, 09:59 PM
very very nice indeed!

Tell George to hurry up and come pick up my stuff! lol

afcbadam
18-05-09, 03:31 PM
i bet that sounds the nuts. is it cammed aswell?

tb steve
18-05-09, 03:41 PM
i bet that sounds the nuts. is it cammed aswell?

yep got that done last year then the inlet broke on me DOH! this is why i went down this route so i dont have any more vis or inlet problems again well i didnt mean go this far but its all fun trying :)

thanks for the kind comments :)

TjP
18-05-09, 04:09 PM
Nice!

Bet thats setting you back a few dollar...

lewerty
18-05-09, 04:09 PM
230 thats hopefull??

stamford
18-05-09, 06:19 PM
230+ I would say is possible if using 285 cams as they can give up to 40bhp, throttle bodies with a DTA, why not? QED can spec over 300 depending on pocket depth. But then who would actually spend that much?

lewerty
18-05-09, 06:47 PM
hasnt it got 270cams?

stamford
18-05-09, 07:42 PM
hasnt it got 270cams?

No idea mate, but if going throttle bodies and DTA why stick with 270's? However I did say 'if' fitted with 285's ;)

Phate
18-05-09, 08:06 PM
So whats been done to the car from whence you bought it to now?

Dave MGT
18-05-09, 08:19 PM
:cool1:Jealous,,,,! lol
Very nice setup but i would have to go with 285 with that setup! ;)

shroonie29
18-05-09, 08:22 PM

Would be the best option I reckon

Shroon

tb steve
19-05-09, 02:41 PM
No idea mate, but if going throttle bodies and DTA why stick with 270's? However I did say 'if' fitted with 285's ;)

yes i have got the 270's :)

So whats been done to the car from whence you bought it to now?

piper zorst
sports cat
mani's
270 cam verniers
mapping done by RSM
bmc with custom made pipe same as the ITG (already sold)
carbon catch tank
think thats about it ???

i would of but it ment doing some head work as well but its nothing that cant be done in the future :)
285;s there the same price as the 270;s ????? would of thought they would be more

stamford
19-05-09, 02:44 PM
I think the carriers need machining out to clear the lobes of 285's. Quite common when going that far, had to do this on my Audi many moons ago.

Phate
19-05-09, 02:57 PM
Very nice dude, should go like stink :D

tb steve
28-05-09, 10:26 AM
just a little update

well the engine is out to fit all the aux stuff, new bracket being made for the alternator this has moved to where the air-con pump was it wound not fit where it was so had to be moved and the power steering pump off and an electric one added this also was in the way so all new pipe work made up for that as well,small red top battery and the tray moved so the air box can be fitted (this has not been made up yet) some other little bits and bobs done but thats about it :)

Marky Mark
28-05-09, 10:43 AM
just a little update

well the engine is out to fit all the aux stuff, new bracket being made for the alternator this has moved to where the air-con pump was it wound not fit where it was so had to be moved and the power steering pump off and an electric one added this also was in the way so all new pipe work made up for that as well,small red top battery and the tray moved so the air box can be fitted (this has not been made up yet) some other little bits and bobs done but thats about it :)

It will be wicked once it is all done mate!!

Sounds a very interesting project...

I have forgotten what your car looks like now in our work car park!! Lol :-D

Tony10
28-05-09, 12:12 PM
This car will be soemthing to watch with intent! Lookign forward to the results!

Jay-ZS+
07-01-10, 06:45 PM
Any updates on this? After see the pics of the btcc engines very intrested to see how this does!! :)

Bobdope2002
07-01-10, 06:48 PM
Edit: Forgot im not on XPF no more phew

Jay-ZS+
07-01-10, 06:52 PM
*Awaits Willy Wanger to post or all the anti George peeps*

Dont want to stir anything up as Im not intrested in the details of the politics. Just wondered how the build was coming.

Bobdope2002
07-01-10, 06:53 PM
Dont want to stir anything up as Im not intrested in the details of the politics. Just wondered how the build was coming.

nor me mate :yes:

post edited

talkingcars
07-01-10, 08:04 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath

Steves Last Activity: 22-10-09 06:20 PM

and RSM as was has had 2 moves and a change of name since the last update in this thread.

starfire039
07-01-10, 08:39 PM
...*holds himself back* :laugh:

Does anybody that uses XPF know if he's posted about it on there? In fairness the guy says he doesn't post on here a lot. Might have forgotton about us :(

Phate
07-01-10, 08:45 PM

Saw this car the other week...should be done soon :)

Jay-ZS+
07-01-10, 08:48 PM
Saw this car the other week...should be done soon :)

That sounds hopeful :D Where did you see it?

Phate
07-01-10, 08:53 PM
That sounds hopeful :D Where did you see it?

At RSM. He bought my engine, gearbox and manifolds off me :)

Jay-ZS+
07-01-10, 08:57 PM
Ah was it your manifold that was on ebay the other week?

Phate
07-01-10, 09:06 PM
Ah was it your manifold that was on ebay the other week?
Dunno? Might've been? I sold them to him, who knows what he did with it :)

Supercharged_Z
07-01-10, 09:54 PM
anybody who wants to know anything about RSM can ask me rather than post things on here about dont hold your hopes up etc.

while this car has been delayed due to moves, and units etc(out of rsm control) its well on its way and will be finished shortly

but as i said earlier in this post,please dont start making things up or spreading things that arnt quite true, its pointless and creates a issue out of nothing.

since joining this forum, iv not seen any posts like this other than in this one, in the past and present i am friends with Gmac. but dont post about it and dont want to get involved it is uneeded. after speaking with George tonight there will be futher pics of this next week!!

:D

Jay-ZS+
08-01-10, 06:50 AM
That sounds good Ross:mml:
By the sounds of it, its been a hard year for G. He had alot of Issues to deal with this year with moving problems, the decease of a close family members etc.. Deserves a break!

Cant wait to hear that V6 with tbs!! :w00t:

Maxxed_Ross
08-01-10, 08:24 AM
last time I saw the car it was looking nearly finished, they are impressive looking bits of kit!

Murray203ps
08-01-10, 12:46 PM
Really looking forward to seeing and hearing this car. Am really gutted that nothing came along like this when i still owned the Hot Wheels MG. Searched high and low to get some ex-BTCC bits.:D

Ritchy
08-01-10, 04:14 PM
i dont think talking cars was saying about rsm, i think he was saying wouldnt hold your hopes up from hearing from him because he hadnt been online:)

talkingcars
09-01-10, 11:24 AM
I was saying that you are unlikly to hear from Steve as he hasn't been on for a while.

I was also suggesting that progress on the car is likely to have been slowed as RSM been closed by the owner reopened as a different company and has moved twice since the first post in this thread.

The company change and 2 moves are fact, Steves last visit was a fact at time of posting, everything else is are resonable assumptions based on these facts.

Dave ZS-X
09-01-10, 12:14 PM
230+ I would say is possible if using 285 cams as they can give up to 40bhp, throttle bodies with a DTA, why not? QED can spec over 300 depending on pocket depth. But then who would actually spend that much?

power gain?.....this is the million dollar question and imo it will be negligible over what the car already had, 270 cams and full breathing mods mapped always make between 205-210 bhp.
QED made 230 on their trackday 2.5 kv6 engine with t.b's, 285 cams, dta etc but thats not the full story, they were making that power at 7600 rpm's and over iirc, thats real power proven on an engine dyno not an optomistic rolling road guesstimate.
270 cams power band ends at 6700 rpm's so you wont gain anything even if you up the rev limit as i did some years back.
I wonder if the plenum with vis removed and mapped with dta could even make the same power....at just 210 ish bhp the plenum may not even be a restriction.
The throttle bodies are just 1 piece of a thouasnd piece jigsaw that is the btcc engine and its just impossible for them to give big gains on their own.
Interesting project but the true cost makes it irrelevant as no one will ever do it again.
Throw in some more parts and will turn into something very nice but then unless your cars a track car it will start to have poor road manners.
I wonder if it will even need a "friendly" mot place to pass it as it stands now.lol

Maxxed_Ross
09-01-10, 06:11 PM
Interesting project but the true cost makes it irrelevant as no one will ever do it again.

some times that's the only reason we do stuff like this :smile2:

starfire039
10-01-10, 01:46 PM
I would rather just drop a VAG lump into mine, personally. Much better bang for your buck IMO.

Maxxed_Ross
11-01-10, 02:25 PM
to be totally honest here, why would anyone spend that amount of money on a ZS if they wanted to go fast? The same money would buy you an Evo that does all that and more straight out of the box.

We do it to be unique and do stuff that no one has done, thought about or is rare.

IMO sticking a VAG lump in is cheating... might as well chop out the floor pan and make it 4WD while you're there

Dave ZS-X
11-01-10, 05:19 PM
lol, how is fitting a vag engine cheating ?...to be classed as a cheat there has to some kind of competition and a set of rules and afaik there are niether when it comes to building yourself a track zs.

Evo...dont make me laugh,rflmao

check out this evo X 300 vs a nasp 206 bhp zs, evo is on track tyres and driven by bob rawlins a trained police pursuit driver...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqM2X8pGU9g

Or maybe this modified 370 bhp example out on a damp donington track ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QUXx0KTIu0

Dave

Supercharged_Z
11-01-10, 06:26 PM
i dont think steves ZS is for track.

Maxxed_Ross
12-01-10, 06:21 AM
track cars are a whole different story... and you're exactly right. I gave an Evo FQ300 a good run with ASBO round Knockhill lol

starfire039
12-01-10, 09:53 AM
You could buy an evo, but look at the disadvantages of owning one, ie crap clutch, service intervals and fuel consumption, and the fact it isn't an MG. A VAG powered ZS with an LSD and some suspension mods, you would be hard pushed to buy something that's that fun stock. Plus it's got all the character of the car that we all love, if I had the cash I would do that to mine in an instant.

It depends what you're after I guess, and giving it to Reyland isn't going to be an experience like doing it all yourself, however I can't say a VAG powered ZS is exactly a common sight, and at least if you're paying for the service from Reyland and it goes wrong, the buck's back to them, whereas if you start chopping and changing everything yourself and something goes wrong, you've got to fix it yourself, and that just isn't my cup of tea. At least you pay your cash and get a warrantied definate power upgrade, and a nice one at that. Obviously everyone has different opinoins, but that is what I'd do to mine, and especially as my ZS is, or was, my daily driver.

Ritchy
12-01-10, 04:57 PM
i like doing everything myself on my car cuz i know its done how i like then:)

Drew
18-01-10, 05:59 PM
after speaking with George tonight there will be futher pics of this next week!!

any joy with those?

Drew

Dave ZS-X
29-01-10, 05:33 PM
any updates ross?

Supercharged_Z
29-01-10, 05:38 PM
i have some pictures sent to my iphone ages ago (december), i never updated this thread as i dont know how to move them across, altenator mouting sorted etc.

Since then I havnt even talked to george about this tbh. i been wrapped up in work, and moving house next week.

im up @ georges tommorow with paul luti and a few, il see what i can find :)

Dave ZS-X
17-02-10, 07:12 PM
was there anything happening ?

p_b82
17-02-10, 09:24 PM
Hope so for his sake as my understanding was rsm was moving away from the rover\mg scene.

Would be interest to hear that once done i have to say :)

Ritchy
17-02-10, 10:07 PM
yeah, i heard that too he must be missing the car

tb steve
22-02-10, 12:00 PM
hi ya all im back under a different name (me e-mail address has gone down so cant remmber my password lol)

well the car is so close to being all done :) every thing back in and fitted just a few little things to do then up to the rolling road for mapping

sorry for the late reply but i wil keep you all updated as soon as i can

steve

stamford
22-02-10, 12:21 PM
Good to hear, looking forward to reading the updates.

Tony10
22-02-10, 01:56 PM
will be good to get an update on this one!

Ritchy
22-02-10, 04:29 PM
brilliant cant wait to hear and see pics bet yev missed it!

Maxxed_Ross
24-02-10, 01:27 PM
I'm going down on Sunday so if it's still there I'll get some pics of progress - with Steve's permission of course

tb steve
25-02-10, 08:29 PM
I'm going down on Sunday so if it's still there I'll get some pics of progress - with Steve's permission of course

by all means please do i have not seen it in a while lol :)

its just those last little bits to do that hold up all end result :(

tb steve
28-02-10, 09:03 PM
well looks like it could be a few more weeks untill we get it all sorted :)
had a few problems with the fuel rail and all the linkages well we could fit the rail on but then the air box would not fit and vise verser(spelling sorry) a very tight fit looks like we had the fuel rail for the double plenum chamber not the single one and cant find the right parts anymore DOH
shame as on the mock ups it all looked ok so she is off to judd for some parts to be made up :)

Boot Hill Bandit
28-02-10, 09:27 PM
:drunk:well looks like it could be a few more weeks untill we get it all sorted :)
had a few problems with the fuel rail and all the linkages well we could fit the rail on but then the air box would not fit and vise verser(spelling sorry) a very tight fit looks like we had the fuel rail for the double plenum chamber not the single one and cant find the right parts anymore DOH
shame as on the mock ups it all looked ok so she is off to judd for some parts to be made up :)

good going dude!!! must pop ropund and see you when it is all finished and running!

Jim

Ritchy
28-02-10, 09:28 PM
hope you get it all sorted soon!

tb steve
28-02-10, 09:59 PM
hi jim hows it going ok i hope :)

throttle bodys what a pain hahahah

Boot Hill Bandit
28-02-10, 10:57 PM
hi jim hows it going ok i hope :)

throttle bodys what a pain hahahah

so so dude lol. Trying to sort out my car but she keeps throwing up new problems :no: now got a leaky sunroof which has kinda fucked up the headlining..........that and the million and one repairs that are building up on her lol.

Come on the summer so I can gut the whole interior again and fix all the annoying niggles as well as fitting some sound deadening under the carpets to drown out the howl at 70mph :rofl:

Baby on the way now since we last spoke...........baby beaker is due 8th August this year :baby: ............I know I gotta fix the car by about May or she will have to stay as is for another 20 years :slap:

Jim

Maxxed_Ross
01-03-10, 08:50 AM
such a shame that this happened right at the end of the project... but I suppose with something that has never been done before these things can and do happen

hope it all gets sorted out in the end

Dave ZS-X
01-03-10, 06:25 PM
bu55er, sorry to hear that, sounds like its going to be expensive :slap:

Boot Hill Bandit
09-03-10, 08:08 PM
update???

Jim

Jay-ZS+
09-03-10, 08:16 PM
such a shame that this happened right at the end of the project... but I suppose with something that has never been done before these things can and do happen

hope it all gets sorted out in the end

Ive just spotted some pics of your new slagg Ross looks brilliant :thumbsup:

Maxxed_Ross
09-03-10, 11:53 PM
cheers dude, a thread will be online asap

tb steve
10-03-10, 03:11 PM
update???

Jim

should find out more on friday jim :)

tb steve
10-03-10, 03:15 PM
bu55er, sorry to hear that, sounds like its going to be expensive :slap:

not the cheapest lol but cad drawings and lazer cutting will be spot on

Boot Hill Bandit
10-03-10, 04:51 PM
should find out more on friday jim :)

good stuff dude!!! just about to update about my car too........again I should find out more on Friday.

Jim

Maxxed_Ross
11-03-10, 08:33 AM
not the cheapest lol but cad drawings and lazer cutting will be spot on

custom never is, but it's worth it :smartass:

tb steve
27-03-10, 03:58 PM
just a little update
we have the engine back from judd all the trumpets need resting and new fuel pipes needed cos of the fuel rails have moved but other than that i think thats it oh and the engine fitting back in and mapping hopefully happy days

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll112/stevenzs/26032010.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll112/stevenzs/2603201a.jpg

Drew
27-03-10, 04:22 PM
looks great, do they have a second set of injectors in the airbox?

Drew

stamford
27-03-10, 06:40 PM
Can't wait to see the finished article.

talkingcars
27-03-10, 06:58 PM
That looks purposful, look foward to the "installed" pictures.

Ritchy
27-03-10, 07:08 PM
looks awesome:D i know its taken a long time but hes doing a great job thats for sure:)

tb steve
27-03-10, 07:26 PM
looks great, do they have a second set of injectors in the airbox?

Drew

i dont think so no but i have got bigger ones in 300cc i think

Supercharged_Z
27-03-10, 08:16 PM
STD injectors can flow nearly 300 bhp anyway

tb steve
27-03-10, 09:06 PM
STD injectors can flow nearly 300 bhp anyway

ok i will tell g he owes me some money back and will quote what you said lol :) (joking ross)

Drew
28-03-10, 11:56 AM
would you happen to have a rr print out of before the tb's?

Drew

tb steve
28-03-10, 05:23 PM
would you happen to have a rr print out of before the tb's?

Drew

yes i do may i ask why ?? or is it a before and after thing

Jay-ZS+
28-03-10, 05:26 PM
Cant wait to hear it roar into life!

tb steve
28-03-10, 05:28 PM
Cant wait to hear it roar into life!

your not the only one lol

Jay-ZS+
28-03-10, 05:32 PM
your not the only one lol

lol Yer I bet, doesnt sound like its too far off now though :)

tb steve
28-03-10, 05:36 PM
i hope so ive told G once its all done to keep it for a week and drive it about just to make sure theres no leaks or anything dont wont to bring it all the way back and i have to take it back cos of something silly

Marky Mark
28-03-10, 06:13 PM
i hope so ive told G once its all done to keep it for a week and drive it about just to make sure theres no leaks or anything dont wont to bring it all the way back and i have to take it back cos of something silly

Can't wait to hear your ZS in the work carpark, will turn a few heads I am sure!! ;)

Drew
28-03-10, 07:48 PM
yeah before and after, i have a set of TB's in the garage. ill have a few more mods but it would be interesting to see.

Drew

tb steve
28-03-10, 08:05 PM
will have to have a look but i think it was running 204 before it went in

here ya go

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll112/stevenzs/Picture046.jpg

stamford
28-03-10, 08:49 PM
Can I ask what spec that was so we know the mods done to get those figures? Gives us a good indication of what to aim for.

tb steve
28-03-10, 09:08 PM
yes mate
bmc air filter
270 cams
manis
sports cat
piper zorst

Supercharged_Z
28-03-10, 10:15 PM
ok i will tell g he owes me some money back and will quote what you said lol :) (joking ross)

haha :)

i doubt stds would fit your rail... but none hte less stds can run 48bhp each @ 3 bar

Drew
28-03-10, 10:33 PM
why so many runs all creeping up in power. is that just the rr trying to get a good figure by changing its settings? or were their changes to the car each time?

Drew

Supercharged_Z
29-03-10, 06:55 AM
thats the way the rollers were drew.probably needed to be setup better but the results were usually bang on.. untill the weather station went down lol

stamford
29-03-10, 07:35 AM
yes mate
bmc air filter
270 cams
manis
sports cat
piper zorst

I would have liked to have seen this set-up run after a remap as 203.4 is low for such mods as mine peaked at 200 without cams. What sort of figures are you hoping for with the new set-up?

Drew
29-03-10, 05:37 PM
ok, just seems odd. as long as the same settings are used for the next run then the difference should be interesting to see.

you get a torque curve with that too?

Drew

Dave MGT
29-03-10, 06:01 PM
I would have liked to have seen this set-up run after a remap as 203.4 is low for such mods as mine peaked at 200 without cams. What sort of figures are you hoping for with the new set-up?

Yes but yours was done on differant rollers to Steves, same as mine was rr on and mine make 211bhp so 204 sounds good to me

tb steve
29-03-10, 10:10 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll112/stevenzs/Picture042.jpg

this was before the cams was fitted so ive got 13bhp or so but it not about bhp is it, torque is what we need the six figues was when it was being mapped, as dave said different rollers different figures
ive seen 227 with cams in and other std mods but all r/r are different

tb steve
29-03-10, 10:22 PM

to be honest i dont know its never realy been done before on a road car but 230+ would be nice ????
it start out as i wonted to get shoot of the vis/plem as mine was dead anyway and i did not wont to pay £600 for a new plem and possible in a few years time have it go again so ive ended up with what i have now lol

stamford
30-03-10, 07:35 AM
Whatever the gain is it's a win/win situation. Like you rightly say you are now shot of the dodgy vis and plenum. If all goes smoothly and the results are better than expected this sort of modification would be a blessing in disguise if it could be replicated.

staccato
01-04-10, 01:47 PM

each car is very different in the figures it produces by the looks of it.

My previous 180 had Janspeed manis, sports cat and cat back. It had ITG maxogen and piper cams and a Dastek unichip and that made 203bhp on it's final run.

I'm just about to buy Ralphs MK2 ZS 180 and his has the original Sport and Racing janspeed manifolds, standard cat, x-power back box and open cone in the wing and that made 204bhp using a decat pipe. It's uncertain as to whether any modifications have been done internally though as this was originally a development car for the sprintex supercharger. It's possible the MG S&R put cams in it or flowed the head to gain those figures

Jay-ZS+
01-04-10, 01:55 PM
each car is very different in the figures it produces by the looks of it.

My previous 180 had Janspeed manis, sports cat and cat back. It had ITG maxogen and piper cams and a Dastek unichip and that made 203bhp on it's final run.

I'm just about to buy Ralphs MK2 ZS 180 and his has the original Sport and Racing janspeed manifolds, standard cat, x-power back box and open cone in the wing and that made 204bhp using a decat pipe. It's uncertain as to whether any modifications have been done internally though as this was originally a development car for the sprintex supercharger. It's possible the MG S&R put cams in it or flowed the head to gain those figures

That will be a nice one to have stunning colour too :) Does that mean we will be seeing more of you now youve come back to MG?

staccato
01-04-10, 04:29 PM
That will be a nice one to have stunning colour too :) Does that mean we will be seeing more of you now youve come back to MG?

I've never truly left lol

MG6Turbo
01-04-10, 06:31 PM
Flywheel figures are always a bit hit and miss. I would only go by the at wheels figure, which for cams with minor mods should be in the region of 175bhp@wheels.

A std supercharged zs 180 with no mods whatsoever puts out 190bhp@wheels adding filter and catback exhaust sees this climb to 210/215bhp@wheels.

Never the less, Steves throttle bodied car should see 190bhp@wheels.

Supercharged_Z
01-04-10, 06:33 PM
a good supercharged car put out 229 atw ;)

one to be replicated shortly...

sorry thread hijack lol.

talkingcars
02-04-10, 07:27 AM
Flywheel figures are always a bit hit and miss.

I thought the flywheel reading was more acurate as it doesn't have to deal with anything in the drivetrain.

MG6Turbo
02-04-10, 07:57 AM
Nope, the wheel figure is the most accurate, as the flywheel figure is worked out from it, so there will be drivetrain losses to equate for.

To be totally accurate, the engine would need to be removed and placed on an engine dyno.

tb steve
02-04-10, 12:20 PM
good news
engine going back in next week :clap2:

Alan.F
04-04-10, 09:05 AM
Here are some pictures George has sent me to put up

Ritchy
04-04-10, 09:17 AM
very noice, needs an anodized filler cap now:P

tb steve
04-04-10, 09:47 AM
cheers alan/G must of saved some weight as well with the side plate off or will it be going back on again ???

Drew
04-04-10, 06:05 PM
why spend all that time and effort on it and break the original alternator mounting off? are you unable to work tidily or what! surely a few minutes with a grinder or even a file would have made that so much neater.

Drew

MG6Turbo
04-04-10, 07:00 PM
It wasnt broken off. It was cut away. And theres a valid reason it is the way it is !

Thanks for the comment !

Maxfly
04-04-10, 07:24 PM
constructive comments please, this is an unfinished project so things may yet to be finished.

tb steve
04-04-10, 08:07 PM
+1 :thumbsdown: well said max

tb steve
04-04-10, 08:13 PM
cheers alan/G must of saved some weight as well with the side plate off or will it be going back on again ???

just shows how much i no about engines dont it lol

Maxxed_Ross
05-04-10, 09:26 AM
think yourself lucky... some noob tried to jack my car up using the oil filter! Needless to say the cast housing is in about 5 bits now

tb steve
05-04-10, 09:28 AM
even im not that silly

Maxxed_Ross
05-04-10, 09:30 AM
that's why I only let 1 guy work on any of my cars. Once you hand over the keys you've no idea what might happen!

TurboZed
05-04-10, 01:46 PM
why spend all that time and effort on it and break the original alternator mounting off? are you unable to work tidily or what! surely a few minutes with a grinder or even a file would have made that so much neater.

Drew

I can see what your saying, but the old mountings have been cut off square, its just camera shake or something that has made it look like its been bitten off! I'll get a better piccy of it tomorrow and post it on here what it really looks like.

TurboZed
07-04-10, 09:05 PM
Here you go Drew, you can see far more clearly in this pic
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/kaptainjimmyladd/TB180-pic1.jpg
In this shot you can see that the cut on the right does need tidying up a little bit.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/kaptainjimmyladd/TB180-pic2.jpg
I wonder if you'll respond.......

Ritchy
07-04-10, 09:07 PM
looks fine to me

Drew
07-04-10, 09:56 PM
why wouldnt i?

my appoligies. looked terrible in the last pic and ive seen worse from RSM before.

Drew

stamford
08-04-10, 05:44 PM

Drew

Enough of this, if you want to slag someone off don't be doing it over here. It may be acceptable elsewhere but it is not here especially when you rarely post. It is hardly constructive criticism.

Keep it on topic

Bobdope2002
08-04-10, 05:55 PM
Enough of this, if you want to slag someone off don't be doing it over here. It may be acceptable elsewhere but it is not here especially when you rarely post. It is hardly constructive criticism.

Keep it on topic

here here

grimmy
08-04-10, 05:58 PM
here here
on topic?

talkingcars
08-04-10, 06:38 PM
that's why I only let 1 guy work on any of my cars. Once you hand over the keys you've no idea what might happen!

I know what you mean.

TurboZed
08-04-10, 09:51 PM
No pics, sorry, but the throttle was fitted to the plenum today and now everthing looks like its lining up right. Hopefully it wont be long before its running sucessfully in the car...(famous last words! LOL)

Ritchy
08-04-10, 10:58 PM
when ya expecting it to be runnoing next week now i guess:)

MG6Turbo
08-04-10, 11:41 PM
As Jim said, it is finally coming together.

There are still some hurdles to overcome, and then its time to map the new throttle bodies to the engine.

I will probably be taking the car to Bruntingthorpe, and live mapping it around the airfield.

Thats if Brunters is still allowing testing of cars, as i know the trackdays have been cancelled. Will check this out.

Im not going to put a time scale on this, as when i do, it seems to jinx things lol

George

Ritchy
08-04-10, 11:56 PM
its okay we wont hold you to or slag you over hear george, i think we're all just really intrested of the outcome now
good luck with the last steps:D

Maxxed_Ross
09-04-10, 07:00 AM
No pics, sorry, but the throttle was fitted to the plenum today and now everthing looks like its lining up right. Hopefully it wont be long before its running sucessfully in the car...(famous last words! LOL)

sounds like it's moving in the right direction anyway :smart:

staccato
09-04-10, 07:15 AM
cant wait to see the figures at the end. Can't believe you've got the patience to wait this long steve! I want everything done yesterday lol

tb steve
09-04-10, 01:37 PM
cant wait to see the figures at the end. Can't believe you've got the patience to wait this long steve! I want everything done yesterday lol

to be honest me to lol but i have always had a car from G so i have saved abit on insurance and tax oh and the miles on the zed but as G said as soon as he sets a date something else pops up

MG6Turbo
14-04-10, 10:33 AM
Well small update, all being well, the lads will be in over the weekend dooing some overtime, and we should see the engine back in the car for the final time.

George

Alan.F
15-04-10, 06:05 PM
Engine is now fitted

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/IMG_3365.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/IMG_3366.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/Uploads/IMG_3367.jpg

grimmy
15-04-10, 06:07 PM
Superb, will be cool to see the results.

Jay-ZS+
15-04-10, 06:10 PM
Certainly look the business!! :cool1:

Steves Cleenz
15-04-10, 06:19 PM
looking good :)

staccato
15-04-10, 06:41 PM
That looks gorgeous. Fingers crossed for a good result on the power side of things.

Will the bonnet shut on top or will you need a bonnet bulge?
I'll sell you mine from the ZS-X steve. A million quid lol

Alan.F
15-04-10, 06:59 PM
Bonnet shuts fine as that was one thing we were worried about lol

stamford
15-04-10, 07:27 PM
That does look good.

MG6Turbo
15-04-10, 07:47 PM
Cheers for the comments.

Its good to see the engine finally home in its place.

Still a few bits to do. But the end is in sight at long last.

We had some VIPs down today from X Part/ Caterpillar who got to see this in the flesh, and they were very impressed with the work we had carried out on this engine.

My thanks as always go to my team, its been a very difficult year, and they have been a godsend to me.

Also a big thanks to Steve the owner of the zs. Im sure he has come under fire from peeps about the length of time he has been without his car, but I have always been in contact with him and dealt with any issues he may of had with loan cars etc.

George

Dave ZS-X
15-04-10, 07:51 PM
looking good, get them heads polished up though !!

Ritchy
15-04-10, 08:05 PM
looks great!

tb steve
15-04-10, 10:00 PM
hhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeee its almost done the end is near well done G and the team im well pleased :thankyou:

p_b82
15-04-10, 10:20 PM
congrats looking good there... as you say finishing line is in sight....

I know how frustrating it can be when things outside of any-one control keep the car off the tarmac... mine had a 'holiday' with rally_matt for 7months last christmas due to one thing after the other!

TurboZed
17-04-10, 11:16 PM
I've yet to see it in the car, I wonder how much room there is round the alternator???

tb steve
18-04-10, 09:30 AM
I've yet to see it in the car, I wonder how much room there is round the alternator???

prob no room at all lol

staccato
18-04-10, 09:37 AM
any progress over the weekend or not?

MG6Turbo
18-04-10, 09:45 AM
The engine went in before the weekend Stacatto, as it was pride of Longbridge so i was there and not in work !

George

Murray203ps
18-04-10, 10:45 AM
Can't wait to see this fired up and the results. What a project.

bandit123
24-04-10, 09:38 AM
can i just ask WHAT THE HELL IS THAT on the top of the engine and what does he mean no more vis problems ????? how much would this be??

Ritchy
24-04-10, 09:44 AM
its throttle bodies, and yes it does and a lot of money i think this is going to be a one off really

tb steve
24-04-10, 09:46 AM
can i just ask WHAT THE HELL IS THAT on the top of the engine and what does he mean no more vis problems ????? how much would this be??

they are carbon fibre throttle bodys and yes no more vis or plem problems and dont ask the price as these are off a btcc car

ps welcome

stamford
24-04-10, 11:04 AM

Glad we caught your attention! :laugh:

This is top end stuff! ;)

bandit123
24-04-10, 12:19 PM
woweeee
i want one lol anything to prevent the supid VIS problem lol

thanks for the response everyone

Jay-ZS+
24-04-10, 12:23 PM
woweeee
i want one lol

Yer you and everyone else here. :laugh:

p_b82
24-04-10, 12:41 PM
I believe thought that Sheddist is in final testing phase of a new solution to the problem vis\plenum.... Sometimes i am glad i dont have a 180.... tho a problem plenum would be jyeous cmpaired to my current woes :laugh:

Sorry for the off topic though..

still can't wait to get to hear this thing :)

tb steve
24-04-10, 03:30 PM
I believe thought that Sheddist is in final testing phase of a new solution to the problem vis\plenum.... Sometimes i am glad i dont have a 180.... tho a problem plenum would be jyeous cmpaired to my current woes :laugh:

Sorry for the off topic though..

still can't wait to get to hear this thing :)

i can wait to see it /drive it / let along hear it i have not driven anything over 120bhp since ive dropped the car off think im going to scare my shelf when i get it back:baby:

staccato
26-04-10, 01:49 PM
The engine went in last week - any update since then?

MG6Turbo
26-04-10, 02:29 PM
No updates .. When there is they will be posted in here.

Currently there are other things which require my prescence i.e meetings with x part.

G

staccato
27-04-10, 10:01 AM
No updates .. When there is they will be posted in here.

Currently there are other things which require my prescence i.e meetings with x part.

G

So what's next to do then George? I've always wondered, when you use a custom ecu, do you put a standard map on it to start with so the car can be started prior to the rolling road?

MG6Turbo
27-04-10, 12:55 PM
Next is to build a map.

Rolling road isnt the ideal place to fully map a car, i prefer live mapping on the road.

This project will be reaching its conclusion over the next few weeks.

I am trying to get it finished before we need to move to enable our new venture with x part.

George

Dave ZS-X
29-05-10, 12:32 PM
any updates?

MG6Turbo
29-05-10, 08:22 PM
Will be updating shortly.

Meetings at x part havent allowed much progress on it lately, all the spanner work is done its now just some electrical bits and bobs and mapping on the road.

I have done a base map on my laptop to cut down time.

George

tb steve
31-05-10, 10:07 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::clap2::clap2::D:D:bow::bow:

RudeDogg1
27-06-10, 05:10 PM
slightly off topic g will you be just suplying body parts whith the xpart project or everything? Its allways handy to know there are other places other than the bay and rimmers

MG6Turbo
27-06-10, 08:25 PM
We are supplying X Part not the other way round.

The parts we suppy be it panels or engines/gearboxes will be refurbed then put back into stock as a refurbed item.

G

RudeDogg1
27-06-10, 09:02 PM
O right cool so it will end up at rimmers and other xpart places ect

MG6Turbo
27-06-10, 09:05 PM
The parts we supply will end up at the X Part HQ Warehouse in Leicestershire.

There it will be distributed UK and worldwide.

George

Bobdope2002
28-06-10, 02:04 PM
are u intending on splitting mk2's

if one comes up in firefrost mate first dibs on the rear bumper and rear arch spats :D

cheers

Alan.F
28-06-10, 06:09 PM
are u intending on splitting mk2's

if one comes up in firefrost mate first dibs on the rear bumper and rear arch spats :D

cheers

np that bob as long as you pay the prices that XPart will pay for them :D

RudeDogg1
28-06-10, 06:20 PM
lol

Ritchy
28-06-10, 06:23 PM
id pay what x part would pay you for a starlight silver boot:)

anyways back on topic hows the breeeef getting on now:)

Alan.F
30-06-10, 08:48 PM
Well the car is back together all cleaned and polished and ready for the final stages

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/IMG_4746.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/IMG_4745.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/IMG_4744.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/IMG_4743.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/IMG_4742.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/rovermgparts/IMG_4741.jpg

Ritchy
30-06-10, 08:58 PM
looks terrible...lol JK looks amazing, just need a new set of regi plates and be like it was out the factory:)

Phate
30-06-10, 09:02 PM
Was gonna say, part from the plate, looks fantastic :)

What does it go like? any word on power figures?

Ritchy
30-06-10, 09:06 PM
i think it go like...whaaaooo shhhiiiiiieeeeeeeeeet

Phate
30-06-10, 09:07 PM
haha this is true!

On a serious note, I'd be VERY interested in the power figures as it's a one off project, and if its running say 280bhp or more be interesting to see how well the KV6 holds to it, as I have a project of my own brewing :)

Supercharged_Z
30-06-10, 09:11 PM
it wont run 280bhp or more..

Bobdope2002
30-06-10, 09:15 PM
np that bob as long as you pay the prices that XPart will pay for them :D

as long as its not astronomical then yeh thats how it works

MG6Turbo
30-06-10, 09:21 PM
The official touring car with the throttle bodies only ran 267bhp and thats with alot more expensive components like forged high comp pistons, offset crank, bigger valves, very high lift cams dry sump, and some very fancy tubular manifolds..

Realistically im hoping for around 220-230bhp with an 7800rpm red line.

George

MG6Turbo
30-06-10, 09:22 PM
as long as its not astronomical then yeh thats how it works

X part price at retail !

G

Phate
30-06-10, 09:39 PM
So is there a real advantage to going for the throttle bodies over the Supercharger?

I'm not seeing one right now :/

And I know this was done as a project!

GTMSpyder
30-06-10, 09:49 PM
A big benefit of the charger is that it boosts the torque at the lower end of the rev range. A nasp engine on TBs and cams will need revs to make the power and may well lose some torque over the standard engine at low revs.

Depends what kind of driving you do as to which is best. A charged engine (super or turbo) will be easier to drive more quickly, but probably not as full-on as a high revving nasp. I guess the same argument as Honda VTEC engines - brilliant when you're really on it, but slow off-cam.

I'll get my 250bhp nasp engine finished one day and see how it drives!

stamford
01-07-10, 07:32 AM
I take it from the photos the zed was not long off the jack judging by the the front wheel camber..........

Looks bloody tidy and nothing to give away what lives beneath.

Bobdope2002
01-07-10, 02:21 PM
X part price at retail !

G

well then they can keep it..... im not paying full price for a second hand part you gotta be kidding

Be cheaper to get mine repaired!!!!

tb steve
01-07-10, 02:22 PM
ok then i will get new plates for it then

just cant please some people lol :)

Rocket Red
01-07-10, 04:26 PM
So is there a real advantage to going for the throttle bodies over the Supercharger?

I'm not seeing one right now :/

And I know this was done as a project!

one big advantage is it will sound awwwsome

:band:

Dave ZS-X
01-07-10, 05:05 PM
what spec cams are in the car ?
270 profile make peak power under 7k revs so revving any higher is pointless in the quest for more bhp.
I tried this some years back with mine running 270 cams, we raised the limit to 7200 and then 7400 and it made no more power it just flatlined after 7k rpm's. You need 285's to make more power at those dizzy revs.
After living with a kv6 running a slightly raised limit i would never go as far as 7800, when your in 3rd or 4th gear on prolonged flat out acceleration over 7k the engine just doesn't sound happy, and imo it will have a much reduced life expectancy , i know qed ran a 2.0 kv6 at very high revs but a couple of important factors are different on the 2.0 kv6.

MG6Turbo
01-07-10, 07:41 PM
Your car ran std injection and std ecu and a restrictive plenum. This car doesnt, so will in no way be the same as your trials with your car.

Once on the rollers we shall see exactly what is what, but going on what we have been told by the people that designed the throttle body system, the breathing will be greatly enhanced.

G

Phate
01-07-10, 07:54 PM
Your car ran std injection and std ecu and a restrictive plenum. This car doesnt, so will in no way be the same as your trials with your car.

Once on the rollers we shall see exactly what is what, but going on what we have been told by the people that designed the throttle body system, the breathing will be greatly enhanced.

G

Sounds good, when do you hope to have it on the rollers? :)

Dave ZS-X
01-07-10, 09:03 PM

G

the plenum, injection or ecu are not the problem here the cams are, but who says the plenum is restrictive at these low power levels, my car and others made much more power than this will through the plenum with nitrous added, and the standard injection is not a problem either, its been proven to go over 250 bhp.
Thats all irrelevant however as the cams just cant do it, see this copy and pasted from motorsportworld website, specs from piper for the 270 kv6 cams says specifically that the powerband is from 1500 to 6500 rpm's.

" Kit comes with cam, followers, timing disc and cam lube.
Powerband : 1500-6500rpm ; Power increase : 20bhp
Inlet duration : 260 deg ; Exhaust duration : 260 deg
Inlet valve lift : .380"/9.65mm ; Exhaust valve lift : .380"/9.65mm
(Valve lifts quoted assume a rocker ratio of 1:1. )
Timing (Inlet open - close) / (Exhaust open - close) : 20-60/64-16
Inlet full lift (ATDC) : 110 deg ; Exhaust full lift (BTDC) : 114 deg
Valve clearances : N/A"

MG6Turbo
02-07-10, 07:30 AM
Well we shall see wont we !

Nothing is ever written in stone ! oh and forced induction works in a different world to normal induction, which is why having cams designed for nasp didnt work on a charged engine.

G

Ritchy
02-07-10, 04:10 PM
good luck with itll be good whatever the outcome

GTMSpyder
02-07-10, 07:10 PM
.......... the standard injection is not a problem either, its been proven to go over 250 bhp.

Can it? Has anyone actually done this?

MG6Turbo
02-07-10, 07:16 PM
All supercharged cars have an additional injector to increase the fuel needed for the additional air .

I do know that the std injectors are only good for 38bhp each on the std fuel pressure, which would mean that they would be maxxed out at 228bhp!

We are not running the std injectors and our new injectors flow 57bhp each at 3 bar fuel pressure.

G

Dave ZS-X
02-07-10, 07:42 PM

sorry my mistake, i was thinking nitrous kv6's which have proven able to flow fuel for over 250 bhp but of course thats going in through the t.b so is irrelevant.
I have the qed brochure with their trackday spec kv6 with 285 cams, that made 230 bhp with incresed rev limit and throttle bodies, dta etc but it makes no mention of changed injectors so 230 must be comfortable or i assume they would have had to have changed them out or just up the fuel pressure.

MG6Turbo
02-07-10, 09:38 PM
the kv6 std injectors wont fit the qed throttle bodies so they would have been changed.

To be honest, qed didnt do much with the 2500 kv6 it was mainly based around the 2000 kv6.

When they were approached by Lunar and by Steve who owns the car we are working on, qed didnt really know much as they said they hadnt done a road going 2.5kv6.

G

Supercharged_Z
02-07-10, 09:50 PM
sorry my mistake, i was thinking nitrous kv6's which have proven able to flow fuel for over 250 bhp but of course thats going in through the t.b so is irrelevant.
I have the qed brochure with their trackday spec kv6 with 285 cams, that made 230 bhp with incresed rev limit and throttle bodies, dta etc but it makes no mention of changed injectors so 230 must be comfortable or i assume they would have had to have changed them out or just up the fuel pressure.

As per normall dave showing of what you don't know about a project uyou don't undetstand...

I'm suprised being a kv6 specialist that you don't know what a kv6 injector will flow at what bar....

None the less you keep critising, just shows your character

Dave ZS-X
03-07-10, 04:36 PM
just like you posting misinformation about my old car the other day ......makes you somewhat of a hypocrite, kettle calling teapot kind of thing.

Anyway its irrelevant my point was that 270 cams wont make power at high revs, so in reality imo its going to make only 215-220 bhp or 5-10 bhp more than a normal cammed car.

RudeDogg1
03-07-10, 06:38 PM
u lot are getting very bitchy of late i thought id stumbled upon xpf :p

Ritchy
03-07-10, 06:38 PM
+1

Craig
03-07-10, 06:39 PM
u lot are getting very bitchy of late i thought id stumbled upon xpf :p

Thanfully not :D Keep it calm lads

tb steve
04-07-10, 09:12 AM
can we all just wait im sure if the revs are to high it will be lowered

stamford
04-07-10, 06:49 PM
Thought I was on the wrong site for a second there :whistle:

Maxxed_Ross
04-07-10, 09:55 PM
once it's out I'm sure all critics will be satisfied

stamford
05-07-10, 07:39 AM
Personally I think it's a great project and also brave due to the work carried out. Once fettled it would be a stunning one off. Looking forward to the end result.

Dave ZS-X
27-07-10, 10:29 AM

r.e injector flow capabiltiy.........see post 81 on this thread but based on more recent posts maybe this is wrong.

Any updates since the car was polished last month ?

Supercharged_Z
27-07-10, 02:00 PM
r.e injector flow capabiltiy.........see post 81 on this thread but based on more recent posts maybe this is wrong.

i had an injector flow tester and it came back with 48bhp @3bar iirc. going up to 5 bar only gave it another 5bhp.

p_b82
10-09-10, 02:13 PM
Without wanting to spark off anything like elewhere, is there are a chance of an update on this?

It really did sound like it was close to completion, so i am wondering if there was some form of unforseen failure that has halted the project?

If yes will be a right shame!

Ritchy
10-09-10, 02:47 PM
if george does choose to update(hes had the thread on xpf closed) if any posts are not related, or against george in anyway il remove them as soon as i see them, if you have any problem with george this is not the place to tell him, tell him yourself face to face or over the phone. end of

back on topic id really like to see the car finnished:D so hope george and steve choose to update us:D

stugee
10-09-10, 03:08 PM
Just read this from the start, good reading if a bit bitchy.

Disappointed that there wasn't a final figure :rant:

Ritchy
10-09-10, 03:18 PM
still a work in progress:)

Maxxed_Ross
10-09-10, 04:01 PM
By the sounds of things recently it's almost there

tb steve
10-09-10, 04:58 PM
i will let you all know asap ive just got back of holiday loads of washing too do lol

Ritchy
10-09-10, 05:07 PM
thanks steve :) we apreciate it

Maxxed_Ross
10-09-10, 05:49 PM
i will let you all know asap ive just got back of holiday loads of washing too do lol

are you heading up with the car Steve? Would be nice to meet you :beer2:

MG6Turbo
11-09-10, 06:47 PM
Hello.

There hasnt been much going on as I was in Hospital with pneumonia. I suffer from asthma so it was very important to get things health wise sorted.

The project is near completion, and I have been speaking with Steve today.

I will be going up to Scotland to Dreadnought to carry out some mapping on both Steves throttle bodied car and Maxx Ross`s touring car .

Since it is nice and quiet up in the hills, and Mr Luti will be on hand to drive, it will enable me to "live" map the car and also give it some miles to check for any underlying issues.

I also help out Jack Goff from the renault clio championship so i also am very busy travelling around the country with him and the team.

Im not going to comment on what went on over on the "other forum" I do know that there would be no point posting about it on there anyway, as it only seems to receive negative points of view .

Steve has never been mis sold or forced into any sale of any parts, in fact it was me that stopped him buying the qed throttle body set up which lunar ended up buying and wasting over 3k on it and it still didnt fit !

Steve in all this time that we have had his car, has been kept mobile in our loan cars, and if at anytime there was an issue with the loan car, it was replaced within hours of me being informed, this also was the case when we had them bad snow storms back in january this year.

Steve, despite receiving messages of incorrect content, has never felt it necessary to come up to Stoke to check on his vehicle, but he has always been told he is always welcome to come up.

We are hoping that the results will be what we expect, but no matter what, the car will be a unique road car.

As long as Steves in agreement, if anyone around the Scotland area would like to have a peek when im up there then as long as Dreadnought have no issues, then i cant see it being a problem.

I hope the standards that this forum maintains, will continue.

Regards

George

PS there maybe some other important news being annouced shortly regarding another kv6 powered zs !

Ritchy
11-09-10, 07:23 PM
good news george, look forward to the next few updates:) hope your health stays good:)

Maxfly
11-09-10, 07:25 PM
If I Am off an as said if steve disnae mind would be guid to have another nosey an see it running:)

Maxxed_Ross
12-09-10, 07:44 AM
when are you heading up G? I'm back onshore on the 23rd

stamford
12-09-10, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the update George. We all appreciate the response. Sorry to hear you were poorly. Looking forward to how things develop.

tb steve
12-09-10, 10:34 AM
as above we are almost done :):) well it dones run now but as you can tell it runs like a dog due to the mapping not done yet (you need two people to do it lots of open roads or a clear track etc etc)
i was so close to buying those qed trottle bodys as well if i did i dont think i would of carryed on with this due to i dont wont a big hole in the bonnet just wont look right barry boys special so G popped down to have alook before i just dived in bought them thank god i didnt :)

p.s cheers mike for doing that ??:):)

BUCKYDEVIL
12-09-10, 10:45 AM
Good to hear your in better health now George, might pop over to Dreadnought when your up and check out the car.

MG6Turbo
12-09-10, 11:35 AM
Cheers guys. Im still not 100% but alot better than i was.

I wouldnt say Steves car runs like a dog, but there is a lot of improving to do.

Im at Silverstone this weekend coming, so aim to be up at Dreadnought in around 2 weeks time.

Ideally it would be good to tie in with Maxxed Ross, as he can give a hand and keep me in food and look after me while im in bonnie Scotland.

G

Maxxed_Ross
12-09-10, 11:42 AM
hahahahaha ok

p_b82
12-09-10, 02:23 PM
That is excellent news that things are so nearly there - Am going to love hearing that thing at some point, although due to distances i think it might just have to e online :laugh:

Hope the health improves and nothing unforseen crops up while it is mapped up :)

tb steve
12-09-10, 10:06 PM
Cheers guys. Im still not 100% but alot better than i was.

I wouldnt say Steves car runs like a dog, but there is a lot of improving to do.

Im at Silverstone this weekend coming, so aim to be up at Dreadnought in around 2 weeks time.

Ideally it would be good to tie in with Maxxed Ross, as he can give a hand and keep me in food and look after me while im in bonnie Scotland.

G

i thought i would opps :chair::wall::shutup2: can tell i dont alway listen probley lol and i cant spelll

staccato
02-10-10, 10:15 AM
Any update? Remap was due end of september wasn't it?

tb steve
02-10-10, 11:03 AM
yes its up at thor motorsport at the mo having the mapping done needs just one more part to finish off the mapping then a bit of tinkering about the power steering then MOT time (may need a rear tyre??)
estimated bhp is

im not telling yet till its all done lol

Ritchy
02-10-10, 11:08 AM
brilliant steve, cant wait to see the pics n know the final figure, sounds like a well done to george :D

staccato
02-10-10, 11:15 AM
yes its up at thor motorsport at the mo having the mapping done needs just one more part to finish off the mapping then a bit of tinkering about the power steering then MOT time (may need a rear tyre??)
estimated bhp is

im not telling yet till its all done lol

Cool sounds good.

Is there a figure that you've personally got in mind steve, like for when it comes back from mapping that will make you say "yeah that was worth it." And what will you do if the car comes back with about 10bhp more than most other people have got? Just put it down to experience or begin adding nitrous etc?

I just can't help thinking that even if it comes back with a good figure (for a kv6) of 240bhp it's still nowhere near the modern era of hot hatches we have on the road today. I agree the new prices of the Astra VXR, MK2 3 MPS, RS Megane/Clio are higher than you pay for a ZS+ what you've done, and you've kind of been a pioneer (with George) for this one-off mod - but to what end?
It won't be as quick as any hot hatch on the road at present - even less so in a year's time when all the hot hatches begin rolling out the factory with 300bhp as the new Megane Renaultsport will be, and the new 2012 Astra VXR. You've said a couple of times in this thread that George won't do another one, and that the majority of members won't be able to/or want to afford it. And doing it to prove it can be done isn't in the equation as it was done on the touring car wasn't it? So I'm not sure I see the actual point of doing it in the first place.

I was in the same boat as you - wanting more power but I went the easy route and bought something faster, rather than the brave route you've gone down.
I've ended up with a 2007 car with 350bhp for what is likely similar money than you've spent on the car+modifications so surely the end result has to be a 'wow' figure to justify it all.

Either way you're a brave man and I do acknowledge the workmanship etc that's gone into it

Ritchy
02-10-10, 11:19 AM
thing is its a one off car, itll sound crazy, a lot of hard work has gone into it, and steve will love it, guaranteed

staccato
02-10-10, 11:27 AM
thing is its a one off car, itll sound crazy, a lot of hard work has gone into it, and steve will love it, guaranteed

Oh yeah totally agree it's one-off. It could be used for some business promotion for George maybe - although would have looked better in a MK2 body imo

tb steve
02-10-10, 11:35 AM
you do have a point staccato and to honest i could of got a faster car if i sold the car plus wont ive spent on it but this is the first real car ive played with so i would like to do more in the future so i could be spending more but im saving for a house at the mo so money is tight
do you think the g/f would notice if a few grand went missing mmmmmm lol

staccato
02-10-10, 11:37 AM
you do have a point staccato and to honest i could of got a faster car if i sold the car plus wont ive spent on it but this is the first real car ive played with so i would like to do more in the future so i could be spending more but im saving for a house at the mo so money is tight
do you think the g/f would notice if a few grand went missing mmmmmm lol

Naa just tell her that george has told you you 'need' a few more bits lol.

Drew
02-10-10, 11:47 AM
why is it not being mapped by george on his own rollers?

Drew

staccato
02-10-10, 11:52 AM

Drew

I thought it was going to Dreadnought? I think the remap was always planned to be done live on an airfield/track wasn't it?

Maxfly
02-10-10, 12:11 PM

Drew
I don't think George has rollers anymore, least not where he is the now :)

I thought it was going to Dreadnought? I think the remap was always planned to be done live on an airfield/track wasn't it?

From reading this thread, that seems to be the plan:)

Drew
02-10-10, 01:05 PM
yes its up at thor motorsport at the mo having the mapping done

i see, didnt know that. finishing touches on the road yeah.

Drew

tb steve
02-10-10, 03:37 PM

it was but after a few factors it was easyer to go to thor

Dave ZS-X
02-10-10, 03:47 PM
some good points staccato.
Steve what were your goals, what did you want from this project, i understand you wanted rid of the plenum and vis and yes it will sound nice and it will be a one off...... but there must be more to it than that as you could have brought enough plenums to last till kingdom come, so what are you aiming at , whats the goal ?
is it just a daily runner car or do you plan to track it or use just for weekend fun as i imagine the sound whilst great when your in the mood would quickly become very tiresome for road use.
I cant help but feel wether its a road car or a track car that you could have brought so much more performance to the car for less money, quaife, some nice big brakes, road legal sticky tyres etc etc, anyone one of those on its own would have given you more performance for peanuts in comparison.

Having said that i think it will be quicker than staccato thinks, with 240-250 bhp it will be quite nippy especially with lightweight flywheel too, ok it wont beat any new age hot turbo hatches but that doesnt mean it cant be fun to drive and remember steves been driving plodders for yonks so even a standard zs 180 would feel quick now.
Glad to hear its almost ready anyhow and i hope steves first drive brings everything he wanted.
Need some good driving videos with windows down so we can hear it.

Maxfly
02-10-10, 04:05 PM

^^^ THIS, oh yes:D Should sound immense :D

mattie007
02-10-10, 05:19 PM
Not sure why people need Steve to justify himself. At the end of the day, hes getting a touring car for the road!! Surely thats enough!

staccato
02-10-10, 05:21 PM
some good points staccato.
Steve what were your goals, what did you want from this project, i understand you wanted rid of the plenum and vis and yes it will sound nice and it will be a one off...... but there must be more to it than that as you could have brought enough plenums to last till kingdom come, so what are you aiming at , whats the goal ?
is it just a daily runner car or do you plan to track it or use just for weekend fun as i imagine the sound whilst great when your in the mood would quickly become very tiresome for road use.
I cant help but feel wether its a road car or a track car that you could have brought so much more performance to the car for less money, quaife, some nice big brakes, road legal sticky tyres etc etc, anyone one of those on its own would have given you more performance for peanuts in comparison.

Having said that i think it will be quicker than staccato thinks, with 240-250 bhp it will be quite nippy especially with lightweight flywheel too, ok it wont beat any new age hot turbo hatches but that doesnt mean it cant be fun to drive and remember steves been driving plodders for yonks so even a standard zs 180 would feel quick now.
Glad to hear its almost ready anyhow and i hope steves first drive brings everything he wanted.

Yeah useful points too. It's a very expensive 'improvement to the plenum system' so surely more must have been wanted from it. I'd be interested to know Steve's hope for bhp figures prior to the reveal of what it finally achieves.

I agree Dave - 240bhp ish will be quick in the ZS. Can you get a N/A ZS to reach that much power? Impressive if so. The last 2 I owned weren't bad with a fraction over 200bhp.

How does the standard ZS chassis and suspension cope with that sort of added lump? I expect new dampers etc will be needed, but the brakes should get away with just uprated discs and pads do you think?

I just feel that in the length of time this car has taken, it's kind of lost it's relevance.

Will the throttle bodies be muffled enough not to cause an issue with sound limits on a track?

staccato
02-10-10, 05:24 PM
Not sure why people need Steve to justify himself. At the end of the day, hes getting a touring car for the road!! Surely thats enough!

Not exactly a touring car for the road. It has a part that used to be on a touring car years ago that's now been adapted for this one car.

Keep us posted steve.