PDA

View Full Version : My ZS 180 Fuel Economy

muttley2887
19-05-09, 08:29 AM
I've had the 180 a few weeks now and have been anal about the mpg, here's my results,

1.Driving normally (hard) around lanes/town. 25mpg
2.Driving sensible gearchange usually by 3krpm max 4 = 30mpg
3. As 2 but on a run. 31.6mpg
4. Track day at Castle Combe with my racing driver daughter driving = 9mpg

I'm very happy with this because having read posts prior to buying it I was expecting 20 - 22. At 31.6 I'm thinking that if keeping to the M'Way speedlimit it would be 33.

But the biggest plus is the 25mpg driving it in the way that gives the 180 owner the silly grin they get. I think that's a great return for hearing the V6 howl.

Mind you had to laugh (or cry) at Castle Combe y'day filled it to the brim when we arrived and had to run back to the garage 92 miles later.

arwilson80
19-05-09, 09:00 AM
Mind you had to laugh (or cry) at Castle Combe y'day filled it to the brim when we arrived and had to run back to the garage 92 miles later.

The cost of having fun and a smile on your face. :)

stamford
19-05-09, 09:51 AM
Yes the local petrol stations love the track being so close! I did the same trip a few times myself but not filling the tank up as I only use less than half a tankful when on track.

muttley2887
19-05-09, 03:55 PM
Yes it would probably be more economical on track with me driving as well. However with my daughter driving I got the insane pleasure of watching a MG ZS 180 regularly catching and passing 3 different Porsches a couple of Lotus's and several other "supercars". Mind you she was out of her depth against the radical LOL!

Phate
19-05-09, 11:29 PM
You get 25mpg when driving hard?!

Jesus, we must have a varied opinion of driving hard :p

Sounds good though mate, glad to see its getting track use to :)

Alan.F
20-05-09, 06:57 AM
My driving hard is rev limiter in first 3 gears

stamford
20-05-09, 07:49 AM
I rarely touch my rev limiter as I find the power and torque drops off before then.

Alan.F
20-05-09, 11:56 AM
You get 25mpg when driving hard?!

Jesus, we must have a varied opinion of driving hard :p

Sounds good though mate, glad to see its getting track use to :)

With the scangauge i borrowed fitted mine was down in to single figures for part of it then climbed to about 18 lol

arwilson80
20-05-09, 12:52 PM
I rarely touch my rev limiter as I find the power and torque drops off before then.

I did it once... Fair screams and wasn't too keen on it, plus it's not really a wise idea either for economy or the mechanical parts.

Was in 3rd... Anyone guess what speed it gets to? :mml: ...and that's not to say you are all to go out and try. :p

TjP
20-05-09, 02:19 PM
Was in 3rd... Anyone guess what speed it gets to? :mml: ...and that's not to say you are all to go out and try. :p

I think the limiter in 3rd is about 90-95mph... ish..? Ive been there a few times but not for a while now, not many cars I come against require taking it to the limit! 4th/5th gear and 4k rpm does most of them, lol.

arwilson80
20-05-09, 03:59 PM
Yeah... 90. May have gone to 95 but it was 'screaming' too much for my liking.

afcbadam
20-05-09, 04:08 PM

neither do i, i often change up at around 5k. i find the zs can be quite flat after that.