PDA

View Full Version : M.O.T:Passed:Does the air con come under warranty,Whats a average cost of a service.

Jem
19-05-09, 03:22 PM
Just had my m.o.t today all was fine,But the aircon is not working i tell you i have had enough from vospers in exeter where the car was bought,Last year they told me they fixed the air-con but ive never thought it was working right,Ive just had my service done at my local garage and they told me its not working,Its going to cost me £70 for my local garage to look at it,Im sure the air-con is not included in the warranty but i might be wrong?

Now comes to the polun filter,Last years service at vospers they told me they changed it but it seems it has never been changed,It clearly states on the invoice from vospers that the polun filter was changed,I cant belive how many problems i have had with vospers.

Today i had a full service at my local garage and it cost me £196.14,Thats without the fee for the m.o.t which was £54,Is that about the standard price for a service,Things that was done:

Oil Filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Polun Filter
Screen Wash
Sump Washer

stamford
19-05-09, 03:25 PM
I can't say for sure as I do my own...................I don't trust garages!

Jem
19-05-09, 03:38 PM
I trust this man,He has had the garage for a year i think,He knows my dad and replaced the head gasket on my rover a couple of years ago before he had this garage,Before he started his business he worked for Rover/MG:fez:

stamford
19-05-09, 03:43 PM
Finding one you can trust is rare these days, let's hope it stays that way.

TjP
19-05-09, 04:10 PM
I paid exactly the same price for my MOT 2 weeks ago.

My service, a few months back, included mostly the same bits I think, but I also had 6 plugs and an oil change at a cost of £240 IIRC. The plugs alone cost £50 ish, so the difference to yours is mainly the cost of an oil change. I thought I had quite a good deal though.

Jem
19-05-09, 07:52 PM
Nice one:smile1:

Now you may think im being silly about vospers and the polun filter,Thats just a thing now added to the list,But i would not send anyone to that place because of all the problems ive had,These pictures should say something about vospers,I went into vospers for them to fix my car alarm when i picked it up they told me they had noticed a illegal tyre nothing more was said to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/thetopcat/tyres4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/thetopcat/tyres3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/thetopcat/tyres2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/thetopcat/tyres1.jpg

afcbadam
19-05-09, 08:11 PM
did you pay for the tyres?

i do my own servicing as well mick.

Jem
19-05-09, 08:19 PM
Yea i had to pay for new tyres,But i wasn't going to let them get away with it so in the end i did got money off for the service.

steetee
19-05-09, 08:40 PM
Hey Jem, it is difficult to tell from the pictures, but it looks like one of your tyres has metal ply exposed, which would make it unroadworthy without a doubt.

XPCobra
19-05-09, 08:46 PM
I paid exactly the same price for my MOT 2 weeks ago.

My service, a few months back, included mostly the same bits I think, but I also had 6 plugs and an oil change at a cost of £240 IIRC. The plugs alone cost £50 ish, so the difference to yours is mainly the cost of an oil change. I thought I had quite a good deal though.

A full service kit for the V6 using genuine parts is under £50 ( not including oil)

Jem
19-05-09, 08:53 PM
Hey Jem, it is difficult to tell from the pictures, but it looks like one of your tyres has metal ply exposed, which would make it unroadworthy without a doubt.

Yea its was a danger trap,The pictures are not that good but for a garage to let me out of their garage is crazy.

This is the thread i made about the tyres

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3588

afcbadam
19-05-09, 09:12 PM
my self done service

oil and filter £30
plugs £20
Fuel filter £8
pollen filter £10
all genuine parts, from ebay.

TjP
19-05-09, 09:38 PM
A full service kit for the V6 using genuine parts is under £50 ( not including oil)

Im starting a vehicle mechanics course in Sept... looks like it might pay for its self! :)

steetee
19-05-09, 10:01 PM
Yea its was a danger trap,The pictures are not that good but for a garage to let me out of their garage is crazy.

This is the thread i made about the tyres

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3588

What kind of mileage did you do on these set of tyres?

It is bad if the garage you went to never told you the tyre was illegal. However, all a garage can do is advise you what tyres are bald/illegal/damaged and it is up to you as the driver to sort it out.

It is the drivers responsibility to ensure that his/her vehicle is in a roadworthy condition, not the garages.

For instance, National Tyres could advise you all of your tyres are fine, then after you drive out of the garage the police could stop, give you a horty, or even fine you for each tyre. "Garages" like National Tyres/Kwik-Fit/ATS hold no legal responsibility on any inspection they do.

Tyres are very simple to keep an eye on, you can pick up a wee tread depth indicator for a couple of pounds. Just make sure the tyres are above 1.6mm over the central 3/4 band of the tyre, and no cords/canvas are exposed and you'll be fine.

arwilson80
19-05-09, 10:04 PM
for oil and filter it doesn't take a mechanic... even I can do it. ;) :D

Jem
19-05-09, 10:09 PM
I really cant remember the mileage but it was very low,Yes as the driver it was my fault but there is no way the tyres should go like that with the mileage,This was not a second hand car,The garage is at fault because it was never picked up,Even the manager said he didn't know what was going on and agreed it was partly their fault.

Jem
19-05-09, 10:10 PM
for oil and filter it doesn't take a mechanic... even I can do it. ;) :D

Yea you are right but some people may have no place to do it,In my case i wouldn't want to do it myself as its still a newish car i want it done by a professional.

TjP
19-05-09, 10:18 PM
^ Ditto.

When I had my service the weather was foul, other wise I was going to have a go with one or two bits. The main reason though is as above, peace of mind when its done by a professional. Im quite happy taking a banger to pieces, but doing things to my own [fairly expensive] car is different! lol :) All about confidence I guess...

Simon's ZS-120
19-05-09, 11:44 PM
my self done service

oil and filter £30
plugs £20
Fuel filter £8
pollen filter £10
all genuine parts, from ebay.

see if peoople live near reading i get all my parts from halfords and get them on trade so i dont spend much on a service for my and if i we dont stock it i can order in on trade so makes my life alot cheaper plus we have worked out we can do trade and then an extra 15% off so it means super cheap

Jem
20-05-09, 06:58 AM
This is what it cost him/me

Oil Filter £8.29
Air Filter £9.84
Fuel Filter £13.27
Polun Filter £9.97
Screen Wash £1.10
Sump Washer £0.80

Total £43.27

Labour: £96.00

Lubriciants £26.30

Sundries: £1.50

Environmental: £3.50

Sirrel Squirrel
20-05-09, 12:33 PM
I had my 45k service yesterday, my friend's dad has a garage and I've always taken my cars to him. He charged me £90 total and that also included fixing the coolant leak. Out of curiosity I call the local MG garage and they wanted £250 just for the service!

Jem
20-05-09, 03:03 PM
Silly Silly me,I thought i still had warranty but it ran out this time last year:book:

So it looks like ill have to pay to have the air-con sorted..