PDA

View Full Version : manifold wrap

starfire039
20-05-09, 09:36 PM
my heatshield is rattling against my downpipe and always has done, i think i need a new one. previous owner has used a large jubilee clip to tie the heatsheild to the downpipe to stop it rattling (at first i thought it was the engine tapping as the rattling increases with the revs- sounded scary!).

if I bought http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/257_55/mg_rover/mg_zs__rover_45/exhaust_systems/1_exhaust_heat_wrap.htm

and just removed the heatsheild, do you guys reckon that would be okay? would the heat wrap do a good enough job? I'm guessing so, wonder if anyone else has tried ..

XPCobra
20-05-09, 11:38 PM
have known for most people to just fling them away ( i did on all 3 of my zr's)

And had no issues what so ever

stamford
21-05-09, 07:22 AM
Heat wrap is good stuff, first used it some 12 or so years ago. So yes getting rid of the shield will be fine.

grimmy
21-05-09, 05:09 PM
my heat shield fell off and it's never caused any hassles.

mattie007
23-05-09, 12:56 PM
Has anyone got a picture of where the heatshield is?
Im sure thats the cause of my rattle. One garage said it was the heatshield, others have said its the CAT rattling.

Ive had it since I got the car 3 years ago!

edit: Is this the heatshield in the engine bay?

starfire039
23-05-09, 03:17 PM
yes this is the heatshield in the engine bay, the heatsheild covering the manifolds.

my car rattles when you accelerate and its the sound of the heatsheild rattling against the downpipe. powerflow are going to take a look at it when they make up a new downpipe for me, if they cant do anything off it comes and heat wrap here we go!

mattie007
23-05-09, 05:43 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'll get powerflow to to see if they can identify the rattle on mine.