PDA

View Full Version : Lightened flywall...pros? cons?

Phate
31-05-09, 07:06 PM
Hi all,

Was chatting to Mick about this today and I'm umming and ahhring about doing it.

As when we replace the gearbox we will also be doing the clutch I've been having dirty thoughts about a lightened flywheel...

Mick told me today the original weighs 17kg....and the lightened one is....well a lot lighter.

From what I can see:

Pros - Engine is more revvy, better throttle response, and runs nicer

Cons - Loss of torque

Not sure what it does to MPG? anyone got any ideas? (not that that is a major issue anyway)

Anyone else know the pros and cons? Really thinking of doing it....I also want a bigger throttle body (52mm one I think it is) so look out for another thread haha!

Many Thanks,
Jake

shroonie29
31-05-09, 08:20 PM
No cons TBH,OE fly is around 9-9.5kg the lightweight one is just over 4.5
No issues in traffic etc.
Torque is the same(not sure what you mean here)
http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/FLYWHEEL.htm explains flywheels in detail
52mm TB is for the K4

Shroon

stamford
31-05-09, 08:42 PM
No Jake, when I was discussing flywheel weights I was talking about the V6 Vauxhall ones not the KV6. The Vauxhall ones are like an anchor!

The only downside, and it is minimal, is loss of kinetic energy as the mass of the heavier flywheel will store more energy for longer. Saying that it will rev quicker and take you to the power band that little bit quicker. There are far too many plus's than minus's so get one!

shroonie29
31-05-09, 08:50 PM
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/there_is_no_torque_loss.htm is quite interesting on how the stored energy of the heavier fly can affect things

Shroon

Phate
31-05-09, 11:22 PM
I hate you all....

I can see £200 disappearing from my bank account tomorrow...bastards :p

Dave MGT
31-05-09, 11:36 PM
It would be a waste not to fit it if you have the g/box out.
Best mod you will ever do for £200!!

Phate
31-05-09, 11:48 PM
Dave, your right.

I hope its not too shiny! I won't want to fit it...for about 10mins :p

R1CSO
01-06-09, 10:06 AM
how much would fitting one be? And where can we get a lightened flywheel?

Phate
01-06-09, 10:21 AM
PTP in the ad above do one. Not sure about fitting price as I'll be doing it myself with Dad.

And.....my wallet is now £200 lighter. HATE YOU ALL

R1CSO
01-06-09, 11:26 AM
it says "Suitable for all 1.8 K Series engines" so will it fit 2.5KV6?

TegTypeR
01-06-09, 11:30 AM
The Teg has a lightened fly wheel. One thing you have to remember is you will need to rev it more when pulling away, or you will end up in an embarrassing stall.....not that I've ever done that before!!!!!

Worth every penny though Phate!!!

SticklesMickles
01-06-09, 12:01 PM
Waste of time for a road car IMO

the only real benefit i found going from a 12.5kg flywheel in the scoob to a 7kg one was better/easier heal and toe when entering corners. and i combined this with a lightened under drive flywheel on the other side of the crank to do the job properly!

it also made the car harder to launch on the drag strip as it had a higher tendency to bog down off the line (should be such an issue for fwd)

Yes they rev a bit nicer when you are in neutral, but when the clutch is up and you are in gear, you are still dragging all the transmission around so the gains are negligible.

arwilson80
01-06-09, 01:15 PM
Lightened Flywall (in the title)... What are these? ;)

lewerty
01-06-09, 01:16 PM
getting mine fitted on thursday :) dont forget the heavy duty flywheel bolts u need 6 and 6:50 each from qed

shroonie29
01-06-09, 05:18 PM
PTP in the ad above do one. Not sure about fitting price as I'll be doing it myself with Dad.

And.....my wallet is now £200 lighter. HATE YOU ALL

That's for the K4 not the KV6
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=47248&page=3&highlight=flywheel is the only place to get the KV6 flywheel

Shroon

Phate
01-06-09, 05:23 PM
That's for the K4 not the KV6
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=47248&page=3&highlight=flywheel is the only place to get the KV6 flywheel

Shroon

Ah, ok I'll cancel the other one then :)

Phate
01-06-09, 05:24 PM
getting mine fitted on thursday :) dont forget the heavy duty flywheel bolts u need 6 and 6:50 each from qed

Yep got a link for those, just asked on XPF how much for the flywheel.