PDA

View Full Version : Lightened Flywheel issue found on another forum

p_b82
11-06-09, 09:39 AM
Hey all,

not sure how many people here have recently got a lightend flywheel off the guy from XPF, but apparently there has been a error with them on creation..

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=49491

HTH

arwilson80
11-06-09, 10:58 AM
Interesting... I guess everything has it's flaws.

stamford
11-06-09, 11:15 AM
Forgetting the locking pin hole is a major flaw! May have been just a one off that got past inspection, however if done on a CNC it would be all and not one unless the bit had broken on the last wheel to be done in that batch?

arwilson80
11-06-09, 11:48 AM
However both scenarios seem unlikely...

shroonie29
11-06-09, 12:01 PM
The makers of the flywheel I had made have been informed of a possible issue.Mention of PTP in the thread is confusing though.
I'll wait for confirmation before my conclusion is drawn

Shroon

stamford
11-06-09, 12:07 PM
However both scenarios seem unlikely...

Why is that?

arwilson80
11-06-09, 12:40 PM
Why is that?

Doesn't say much for their QA/QC inspection process IMO... Surely they'd have caught the flaw at the design or product stage.

I know from my point of view (software testing) even our test processes / cases are reviewed.

stamford
11-06-09, 12:55 PM
Doesn't say much for their QA/QC inspection process IMO... Surely they'd have caught the flaw at the design or product stage.

I know from my point of view (software testing) even our test processes / cases are reviewed.

A typical machine shop will make a pattern part as supplied with a sample. We are not talking a shop that adheres to ISO9000 standards here so things will get omitted if not studied. If such a part is made in small batches it won't always be scrutinised in detail, especially if there is no drawing to start with.

Small machine shops don't tend to have a QA dept, they are self inspected. Personally a drawing is a must and checked thoroughly before issuing. 2D derived designs always lend themselves to missing information due to working in a single plane, whereas 3D is less so due to the constraints used in the asembly files and X,Y & Z planes used to build a part or assembly.