PDA

View Full Version : South to Poole and beyond

marts66
17-06-09, 02:28 PM
Finally got my hols sorted for August and will be travelling to Poole for the ferry and then back into Portsmouth a couple of weeks later :bandana: Could anyone tell me how heavily camered (is that actually a word?) are the roads that I'll be taking down to the coast. it's going to be As and M's to be fair, but ooop here there aren't too many cameras. I'm not suggesting that I'll be storming through :whistle: but just want to make sure I don't fall foul of the law :police: and spoil me hols :no:

Will also be keeping my eye out for all you suvvan zed owners and will post any 'was it you's' when I return :wavecry:

stamford
17-06-09, 02:45 PM
From this I take you are going over the channel?

Camera locations will depend on the route you take down, plenty of fixed ones on the west M25 section going south around Heathrow. Not seen many on the M3 tbh, some fixed ones around Poole on the 'A' roads, Peter can probably direct you better.

Portsmouth there are a couple coming out of the city, again it'll depend on where you enter the M275, you might miss them. Other than that it will be the mobile ones that will be the unknown quantity.

However those in Portsmouth are in 30 and 40mph zones are easy to get caught, ask Anne Robinson :laugh: Those on the motorway are the usual so if driven sensibly you'll be fine ;)

We'll keep our eyes peeled in case we see you!

Yampiedog
17-06-09, 05:57 PM
M6 has a section around Manchester area with specs (average speed over set distance)
Hampshire is fairly light on camera's for M and A roads.
Dorset has a lot of camera's as they have no police!

afcbadam
17-06-09, 08:06 PM
the roads down south are usually very good. im often up and down the m3. always driving from the top of it (where the m25 hits the m3) down to poole. never had any real problems.

if you can avoid ringwood between 4-7pm

marts66
17-06-09, 09:04 PM
Oooooh, this is all good, many thanks and it's all being noted. Yes, am off to France for a tour around Brittany and the Loire Valley. Have to defo stop off at Le Mans, it'd be rude not to! Will also spend some time time looking at OS maps of France to see if I can find some 'interesting' strips of tarmac. Will be treating the zed to a full Autogylm polish before I go with me new machine polisher, so hopefully some nice piccies of the zed and surroundings. If anyone knows of said pieces of road, please feel free to enlighten :)

afcbadam
17-06-09, 09:10 PM
matchams lane on the way to bournemouth/poole. very twisty and full of dips and climbs. great fun at ?? mph......... isnt it peter!

Yampiedog
17-06-09, 09:13 PM
I'm trying to think of some roads in France that I have been on but can't.

peterzs
17-06-09, 09:29 PM
In the Sun they had a top 10 list of speed camera convictions throughout England, Bournemouth and Poole had 6 out of the 10 locations. If you are thinking of going Bournemouth/Poole using the A338 Spur Road there are a number of cameras that start as you go over the flyover at the Cooper Dean (outskirts of Bournemouth).

These are usually turned on, the only time they were off was when we had the Conservative party at the BIC.for a week!!

I use the road every day and have a detector that lets you know where the black spots are (?) They are always on and the road is 50mph, although its a dual carriageway. Goes from 70 to 50 as you go up over the flyover.

Poole isn't as bad as Bournemouth and you can use the A31 or A35 to bypass Bournemouth but the best advice is watch your speed, or buy a detector.

Hope you have a good holiday, sounds like a good route, is that in the wine making part of France?:wave::wave::wave:

marts66
18-06-09, 10:09 AM
Yes, wine and champagne. According to my sister there are champagne caves to be visited and lots of vineyards where you can go on tours....glug :)

Will have my satnav on which does pick up some sites, but there's nothing better than local knowledge and all your information is gratefully received and noted on my route guide.

BTW, does Matchams lane have a road number? I like roads like that ;)

Cheers

peterzs
18-06-09, 12:41 PM
Matchams runs alonside the A338 spur road, to get on it take the first turn off after the flyover at Ringwood, signed Verwood, then the first turn off on your left. Matchams stock car racing circuit is along the road so I think thats signed as well.
www.rollingstart.co.uk/ringwood04-1/ www.britinfo.net/T/1014062.htm

The car can bottom out on some of the bumpie bits.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Adam, Used to be more fun before they put a speed limit on it. There have been a number of bad crashes along it, lorries use it as a short cut to the airport.