PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade kits

papa_lazaroo
18-06-09, 12:07 PM
Hi Folks

Would anyone be interested in some very exotic brake upgrades?

I am currently in discussions with AP Caparo Racing (used to be AP racing) in Warwickshire to try to secure some decent prices for fellow members on here and on the ZR site for brake upgrade kits.

So far we have agreed that they will take my car in to their development labs for a week, loan me a run about whilst they have mine (I did tell them I’d like something exotic, but I think it may be a “Smart” car). They are going to measure lots of aspects of the Rover installation, such as Current part dimensions, spec, clearances, Etc etc, and see what they can pull together as a specific tailored package for the ZS180 and the ZR160 (and as many owners have upgraded to the standard factory bits off these cars, i.e. 282mm disks and associated callipers etc, they should be able to fit these kits to their cars too).

What We (myself and AP) are hopeful of, is a kit comprising 2x front callipers (6 pot preferably, if not 4 pot) with suitable spec high perf pads (TBC) split, 2 part discs (cross drilled) braided brake pipes FR & RR and replacement Rear Cross drilled discs and pads (Where original disks are fitted).
Sadly AP doesn’t currently offer replacement rear callipers with integral handbrake mechanisms so OE callipers will remain.

My concern is that I have very big clearances between the wheel spokes and callipers currently as I swapped my STD straights for the TSW wheels I have on. Neither AP or I have any Standard wheels to check the clearances.

Could anyone be so kind as to measure the clearances between their Callipers, Front and rear if possible, to the inside of their std wheels (all types welcomed from MK1 and MK11 please).

Once my car goes in, you’ll know me when I am around and about as I’ll be completely transformed into an advertisement for AP. They have 2 colour schemes in their brochures, Orange writing on a black background, and black writing on an orange background. So as my car’s black, they have been given my permission to decal it in as big as they like orange markings in exchange for discounts for our faithful owners.

So, If I can get a deal for us, who may be interested (even if we have to ask for split packages, say Front upgrade and rear separate, or disk and pad + Calliper option etc etc)?

Regards
Rob

PS, For those who openly admit to being less than capable of this, I'll happily fit them for you.

KevG
18-06-09, 12:29 PM
Sounds like a plan, but the thing is about upgrade kits etc. is that they tend to be extremely expensive, I don't think a lot of members will be to quick to take up the offer if the kit works out to be £1k, I personally have reservations about buying a brake fit over £500! if you could get a target price of £450, then I'm sure some folk will snap the arm off you.

As for packages, thats a good idea;

Package 1 - Front Calipers/Discs and Pads
Package 2 - Front Calipers/Discs and Pads and Rear Discs and Pads
Package 3 - As Above but Colour scheme is extra

stamford
18-06-09, 01:11 PM
I'll watch with interest.

R1CSO
18-06-09, 01:22 PM
yep, very interested!!

marts66
18-06-09, 01:28 PM
Will also be needing to replace front discs and pads soon so will be interested.

TjP
18-06-09, 02:08 PM
Putting down my interest but its gonna be dependant on price, of course. If the price is within my range I'd go for calipers, discs and pads for the front, but probs wont bother with the rear.

vinny1979
18-06-09, 03:06 PM
snap

Dave ZS-X
18-06-09, 04:20 PM
ap racing had a zr 160 kit with 4 pots and 2 piece discs already developed due to be released as part of an upgrades options list from factory but of course mgr went under and that was that.
I spoke to ap cuple of years back and they sent me photos of the set up on the zr and it was top notch, pics are on xpf somewhere.

Dave

Tony10
18-06-09, 05:00 PM
Interested as always just depends on price!

Murray203ps
18-06-09, 08:23 PM
I'd be surprised if they could do a front brake kit for less than 800-900 quid. Not to put a downer on anyone but as i'm sure you all know this is a very expensive upgrade. Just to put a general ball park figure on my kit.

800 quid which consists of willwood 4 pot calipers, 2 part discs(310mm) with alloy bells, braided hoses and performance pads.

As other people on here have got this kit i can assure anyone who gets an upgrade kit for thier brakes you won't be disapointed. TBH the kit i have is easily enough to handle the car even when the nitrous is on. Anyone who has been round the track at the same time i think will vouch as to what a difference it makes, even with day to day driving.

TjP
18-06-09, 09:13 PM
£800, hmm...

Tbh even if its £500 I'll have to duck out of this one. I cant justify that sort of money for the brakes on my 180 - with just a decat, these would be overkill for the 100% road use mine gets. Shame cause its a really cool mod (cosmetically too!)

afcbadam
18-06-09, 09:21 PM
imho if the 180 is only used as a day to day road car, there is no need to up-rate the brakes. a good set of mintex pads and you cant go wrong.

if its a road and track car a upgrade is a very good idea as i have herd a few scary storys concerning the 180's abs system when pushed hard on standard brakes.

papa_lazaroo
22-06-09, 12:06 PM
Any help with the dimensions I need would be appreciated chaps,
Thanks for the comments. I agree that sometimes it's hard to justify the cost.
Worth bearing in mid though, that if you have a full anchors on moment at 70 (or so) and it stops you 2 cars lengths shorter than a standard set up, then I know where my money is going, especially as I am doing 780 miles a week up and down to Bentley in Crewe daily.

I have a meeting with the Director at AP this Friday (hope he's paying for lunch).
Will keep you all posted.