PDA

View Full Version : First "run in" with a ZR

TjP
20-06-09, 08:34 PM
Yeah... it had a "Turbo" badge on the back but Im not convinced it was hehe.

Caught up with him on some newly laid tarmac (he was going carefully). Soon as we got back onto the old stuff I saw hazy fumes coming out of his zorst so knew he was booting it lol. I was in 5th and feeling lazy so just put my foot down... he gained a lead by about 30m so I thought fook it, put it in 4th (yes, 4th!) and gained pretty much the whole 30m back on one bend lol (had to brake on the exit as not to rear end him ;)) despite him going wide on entry, and me not.

After that I was feeling cocky so left it in 3rd trailing the throttle at about 6k rpm right up behind him. He had no chance of getting away lol.

Coming out of the next small town he booted it again so I went for 2nd this time so show him what a real Zed can do :D Most of the time I was half throttle, and cornering... well, the 180 could have soared past on the corners if it was the sort of road where you can see whats coming (ie. no hedges.)

Gave him a flash of me lights as he turned off, as you do.

I guess it was a 105 - definately wasnt a 160 anyway cause it had a single tail pipe.

So yeah... maybe it was the extra power I had, but I dont think so because of how much ground I was able to gain on the bends. I like the ZR but wouldnt buy one to face off other cars, I dont think.

shroonie29
20-06-09, 08:40 PM
Could it of been a TD?
Some were only 101BHP iirc

Shroon

TjP
20-06-09, 08:42 PM
My first thought was that it was a diesel because of the haze it put out as he put his foot down initially, but it was a clear haze not black soot. Also it had a straight tail pipe (not sure, but I thought most diesels have a downturned tip?).

KevG
20-06-09, 09:11 PM
All standard ZR's have single tailpipes, the only tell tale sign of a 160 is that they have a chrome exhaust shield, all the others have colour coded ones, whereas the facelift ZR's have chrome exhaust shields, so spotting a 160 there is harder.

TjP
20-06-09, 09:21 PM
All standard ZR's have single tailpipes, the only tell tale sign of a 160 is that they have a chrome exhaust shield, all the others have colour coded ones, whereas the facelift ZR's have chrome exhaust shields, so spotting a 160 there is harder.

:hmmm: Are you sure? Im sure all the 160s I've seen have had 2 pipes (on one side, not like one each side of the car).

As for the shield, hmmm, I can picture it with and without the chrome so Im not sure what it was lol.

michaelb
20-06-09, 09:39 PM

ZR160's came out of the factory with twin exhausts....i know cause i fitted a ZR one to my 25.

although i guess most will now have rotted away so will probably have aftermarket ones.

the chrome heatshield was optional on all models and most owners will probably have had these fitted after.....again i fitted to my 25.

KevG
20-06-09, 10:15 PM
ZR160's came out of the factory with twin exhausts....i know cause i fitted a ZR one to my 25

I stand corrected

here is a Pic of a said Mk1 ZR160

http://photos.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_13/car_photo_6706_7.jpg

Mk2 160

http://www.autogaleria.pl/fotografie/mg/mg_zr_160_2004_02.jpg

talkingcars
21-06-09, 06:28 AM
I once managed to keep up with a car badged as a ZR on a long straight bit of dual carrageway driving my mums Rover 114sli

TjP
21-06-09, 08:34 AM
Yeah I was left a bit undecided about the straight line acceleration of the ZR. Like I said, I was able to catch up with it in 4th gear when he was probably using 2nd and 3rd. But then when I went for 2nd coming out of one town, there wasnt a HUGE amount of difference in acceleration - it took me maybe 4 or 5 seconds before I was really gaining on him. So having said that, I'd say the main difference was above 40mph where the ZS just has much more grunt to keep the speed rising, but up to 40mph there wasnt a whole lot in it.

p_b82
21-06-09, 05:20 PM
the OE exhuast is downturned on all the L-series drvs, but a lot are swapped off for straight through boxes... no need for back pressure means soot over the bumper rather than the road ;)

afcbadam
21-06-09, 06:08 PM
it cant have been a 160, they all have twin pipes. and you wouldnt gain so quickly as they have very similar 0-60. it may have been a 105, i had the rover 200 versio with the 1.4 engine in and it went like stink for a 1400.

carmadbaker
21-06-09, 06:14 PM
or it genuinely was a t16 turbo....with some make shift zorst....and doing the same as you..... throttle only at half chat lol im always very very respectful of ZR's and 200's....being that the conversion is fairly easily and often done....makes me worry a little!
Old turbo's tend to smoke a little too....so could of been.... who knows :D

afcbadam
21-06-09, 06:32 PM
a turbo only usually smoke's at full chat. if it was a T16 zr and he was going for it he would be leaving a zs180 for dust.

carmadbaker
21-06-09, 06:46 PM
a turbo only usually smoke's at full chat. if it was a T16 zr and he was going for it he would be leaving a zs180 for dust.

ha ha! this is very very true....i love those motors :D unless he really has bolluxed it up lol these dumb chavvy boys do know how to work their overboost magic!:wizard:

TjP
21-06-09, 06:46 PM

You forget I have a decat ;) :joker:

Was probably a 105 with a Turbo badge off ebay. He may have just been unconfident going round bends too, cause I dont think there would be such a difference in handling as what it seemed (I could have carried another 10mph round the corners without too much stress.)