PDA

View Full Version : A good use for my ZS180 driver's seat

stamford
04-07-09, 08:28 PM
Well my redundant driver's seat has sat in the garage for months getting in the way and had a plan for it. Tonight I finally pulled my finger out and did it!

:w00t:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/stamfordzs180/MG%20ZS180/04072009010.jpg

Alan.F
04-07-09, 08:32 PM
Bloody awesome m8 was it easy to do as my son wants to do this

Stephen
04-07-09, 08:36 PM
I actually got my Axis seat out today and sat it on my chair to see if it would work. Brilliant idea!

How did you attach it to the seat?

Stephen

R1CSO
04-07-09, 08:40 PM
excellent mate, excellent!

Jay-ZS+
04-07-09, 08:50 PM
You know what they say about great minds ;)
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/Photo-0077-1.jpg

My old buckets look alot tattier than your mind! nice one mick

stamford
04-07-09, 08:53 PM
I used my current office chair chassis. Removed all the seat brackets and pushed the front and back bars right down. The next bit means making a plate up that fits across the two height bars and then bolting the old chassis to this etc. Luckily for me I had a piece of plate that was a perfect fit and had returns folded on them in order to locate the plate around the seat bars.

After sitting in it for a while this evening I definately need to do something with the seat height at the front as my feet are not touching the floor and I can feel a dead leg coming on! The old seat design was flatter whereas these come up at the front. I might be able to refit the springs and get the tilt back. It doesn't need much.

My girls love, they say it is so cool and comfy.

afcbadam
04-07-09, 08:58 PM
i laughed like mad. mick you are fecking mad mate!!! :)

Blinky
04-07-09, 10:04 PM
does the airbag still work...cos wouldnt want you getting hurt while drinking driving that chair...especially with wheels that dont have a steering wheel...:crazy:

rozzr
04-07-09, 11:40 PM
Brilliant idea mate, that looks great!

does the airbag still work...cos wouldnt want you getting hurt while drinking driving that chair...especially with wheels that dont have a steering wheel...:crazy:

lol! next thing to do is hook up the heated seats for those winter mornings when you just got outta bed and are about to check your email!

stamford
05-07-09, 12:03 AM
:hmmm: heated seats!

starfire039
05-07-09, 12:24 AM
doooo ittt

Blinky
05-07-09, 08:02 AM
yeah mick!!! do it, you could make bracket up for battery to run it...i want one now lol...with heated seat...:bow::bow:

stamford
05-07-09, 11:32 AM
Reworked the mounting plate this morning, much better! :D

The missus thinks I am daft, but then she knew that all along! :laugh:

Stevedx
05-07-09, 11:50 AM
i would love something like that, wanna do one for me?

Phate
05-07-09, 11:58 AM
Haha nice one Mick!

I've seen this done a few times now, they are very comfy things to do, I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for a cheap Recaro to do it to!

arwilson80
06-07-09, 09:11 AM
Nice one...

That would've widened MG-Rs portfolio of products up a little and helped them survive. ;)

stamford
06-07-09, 09:27 AM
What with all the ZS's being written off, there must be an abundance of seats!

Stephen
06-07-09, 11:57 AM
Can you post a pic of how its mounted?

sussex_zr
06-07-09, 12:08 PM
I want one !!!!! im looking on ebay now for a cheap seat

stamford
06-07-09, 12:15 PM
Can you post a pic of how its mounted?

I guess I'll need to clean it up first and make it look presentable! :laugh:

To be honest I didn't bother too much on presentation as the plate is not pretty!

TegTypeR
06-07-09, 12:59 PM
Brilliant.

A while back there was a company on eBay selling pre-made desk chairs using Recaros (if my memory serves me right) at around £400 a pop!!

Never know, looking at some of the responses, you could have a nice side line going on here!

p_b82
06-07-09, 01:10 PM
my mate did the same thing but a much lower tech version...

he sat his 309 GTi seat onto off a stool and balanced there.... or was it another seat, i can't remember... he got rid of it only when he sold it :)

Yampiedog
06-07-09, 06:20 PM
I still have my seats from my Nissan 300. I had consider making a gaming chair and wiring up some speakers but I like the office chair idea very much.

stamford
06-07-09, 07:02 PM
I could make them up but for it to work it would need a seat donating as sourcing them would be difficult depending upon what colour combination was required and trim level. Buying seats and offering them would mean storing all sorts of combinations and they take up alot of room!

I would also need to buy an office chair of some specification in order to utilise the base plate, shaft and wheel base. The only other requirement would be a bespoke plate for seat to seat.

It is indeed possible and will depend on demand and willingness of sending a seat, it won't be cheap! It's not exactly a small scale thing is it!

Give me an idea on demand, colours and trim levels, then I'll decide if it is viable.

I would expect the majority would be looking for the Monaco in blue, red, yellow, with perhaps green and grey inserts being less in demand. With Matrix being the less favourable?

Let me know your thoughts on this.

stamford
06-07-09, 09:13 PM
Probably scrub that idea. Just checked the 'net for prices and you can pick them up new for silly money, circa £120, but shoite looking I might add. By the time you get a seat, get it sent, added the cost of the frame and mounting plates and shipped back it would be cheaper to buy a proper one. Only they are not MG ones ;)

A good idea for all of 2 hours! :laugh:

afcbadam
06-07-09, 09:21 PM
boys and their ideas! lol dont worry mick your not the only one that has them!!!

stamford
06-07-09, 09:55 PM
Not to worry, I have one on the go for the plenum ;)

afcbadam
06-07-09, 10:27 PM
off topic mick, talking about plenum's, there is a guy on ebay selling a second hand plenum from a zt 190. it says it was once broken, but has been repaired. is it possible to repair one??? may be an option for mine

stamford
07-07-09, 07:02 AM
I'd like to know what has been repaired and how. I have tried to obtain information from Mann & Hummel with regards replacement arms with no success, hence how it has this one been repaired? Ask him a question.

afcbadam
07-07-09, 07:42 PM
i have asked him, what was wrong and how was it repaired, i asket him how they dismantled it and put it back together