PDA

View Full Version : 52mm tb

edmo
10-07-09, 10:44 PM
has anyone with a 120 done this and can recommed it. always thought mine was gutless in acceleration below about 2.5k revs. should doing this fix that problem?

i am undecided at the minute whether to get a full induction kit put in the wing or for the same price getting the throttle body and the ptp panel filter. i only have enough spare cash for one or the other and cant make my mind up which to do.

i knmow some people have said on the 120 the biggest returns are from the throttle body change and not the induction kit but is this the general idea and if people have done both, hich did you notice more difference with?

most of my driving is in towns but then i do have the autobahns where i can boot it if i have to go long distance. think because of this i am leaning towards doing the tb as then i have the better acceleration of the mark. wife moans i am driving too fast when i get over 110 anyway!

SimonMGZS
11-07-09, 08:27 AM
forget about the 52mm throttle body and go for the 56mm throttle body with the vvc style inlet manifold and loose the plastic inlet manifold.

i did this on my rover 414 and it has made it better on the acceleration.

here is a manifold that will fit your car

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-Rover-2005-TF-135-Metal-Inlet-Manifold-Complete_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q 3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1689Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_tr ksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2c4ff151fbQQitemZ1 90319776251QQptZUKQ5fCarsPartsQ5fVehiclesQ5fCarPar tsQ5fSMQQsalenotsupported

and this is the throttle body i have got

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-MG-ZR-56mm-Modified-Throttle-Body_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q 7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1689Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksid Zp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1e577dac56QQitemZ13031 6872790QQptZUKQ5fCarsPartsQ5fVehiclesQ5fCarPartsQ5 fSMQQsalenotsupported

edmo
11-07-09, 08:50 AM
LOL always someone on here with idea for going one bigger or better! Ok you got me hooked. If I did go this route would the inlet mannifolds and tb be the only things I would have to change or would I need other bits too? Watching those two on eBay with interest at the minute though - cheers for the suggestion Simon.

SimonMGZS
11-07-09, 12:54 PM
i did'nt anything else for it to fit and work but i did need to make a support bar just to support the manifold to the engine and sort out one of the air connections that goes to the ecu so the engine on mine would stay running as the connection on the inlet manifold you are watching has got an electrical connection that goes to the ecu so it tells the ecu to keep the enigne running.

you may have to do this to yours as i don't know if the rover 414 and the zs you have use the manifold with the same connections

i am sure somebody would be along soon to clarify if the plastic manifolds are the same between the two cars.

i had to cut my old manifold apart to get the red pipe connection out and use on the metal manifold that i have got.

to do what i had to do i just got a piece of aluminiun and drilled three holes in it one for the air connection to go and the others for the bolts to mount on the manifold

edmo
11-07-09, 03:39 PM
tbh I think it's more work replacing inlet mannifold than I want to do at the minute. Found good looking alloy throttle body on eBay but it comes with no potentiometer. Would I be able to use the one on my car at the minute or do I need to buy one with potentiometer included?

SimonMGZS
11-07-09, 05:45 PM
it's not that hard changing the manifold on these engines as i managed to do mine in an hour.

you got any plans to come to the uk at all

yes you can use your existing one.

edmo
11-07-09, 06:20 PM
yeah im coming over end week august and first week sept with the family. only problem is im nowhere near colchester. time will be split between manchester and leeds

ZS Phil
12-07-09, 12:10 PM
It has been proven that 56mm will lose power and that 52mm only makes acceleration smoother, not quicker. The easiest and cheapest solution would be to drop a gear if it is only below 2500 rpm that you are not happy with the power...

edmo
12-07-09, 01:03 PM
acceleration from standing is also slow. I can't drop down a gear from first LOL. It's not like I corner in fourth or anything I just want to make the acceleration better

ZS Phil
12-07-09, 01:33 PM
acceleration from standing is also slow. I can't drop down a gear from first LOL. It's not like I corner in fourth or anything I just want to make the acceleration better

hmm 1.8 turbo or vvc conversion then if you want to see noticeable increase in performance, things like throttle bodies and air filters are just a waste of money in my opinion unless your engine has other mods to make full use of them. You might see a couple of horses if you are luck from a filter but im sure you wont notice them in every day driving. The only reason i would put a filter on a standard 4 pot k series is to change the sound. I will not respond in the same was that the V6 does as the standard system is restrictive.