PDA

View Full Version : MG ZS 180 MK1 in TB for Sale

andy_airsoft
13-07-09, 11:54 AM
Hiya guys and gals

After a lot of thinking and weighing up my options I've decided to sell Gwynith (the car).

The specs are :

2001 51 plate with private reg (S12 CMH)
MG ZS 180 in Trophy Blue with the extreme spoiler
79k on the clock
Has part service history (think its 5 stamps in the book but will check for anyone that is interested).
Has had the belts done at 60k
Usual ZS 180 bits like 17" alloys and half leather
Has £140 worth of Panasonic stereo with an Ipod connection and also have the kenwood original stereo with 10 disc changer which will come with the car.
It does have a cone filter at the moment but I do have the original airbox so if someone wants it to be back to 100% standard thats not a problem, I have had to butcher the pipe from the inlet to cope with the new filter but if someone is really that bothered I will make sure I get another (original) pipe.

Right for the bad bits

The front bumper has some lacquer that has come off so could do with a respray but doesnt look too bad as Adam on here can testify.
Both front alloys could do with a refurb which I was going to do this summer as I have a garage now but as I'm selling her I wont be doing.
The air con needs to be regassed which I'm told is £45 from Kwik Fit.
The drivers door handle needs to be fixed (xpowerforums have the fix guide which should take 40 mins and some Halford Davids Isopon P38 Repair Kit 250ml for £5.99 plus a plumbing olive.
Drivers side seat bolster is worn as you would expect for a 8 year old car.
Adam has informed me that my plenum is working fine but my VIS for the 3k kick needs sorting i.e soldering and screwing down the motor but the 4k one is working perfect, the 3k one does work sometimes so you can live without doing it.

I brought a paint touch-up kit from Paints4u which I will give to the buyer so any little stone chip can be sorted.

I think I listed it all but please do ask any questions.

I can email over any pictures to anyone that is interested in her unless someone can post them on here for me (Prett please Adam :o) )

Right now down to the business end.

I'm looking for £2000 which I feel is a good price for the amount of car you get.

Only sale related posts please i.e request for pictures and the such.

I'm located in Southamton (about 10 mins for J2 M27) so if anyone wants to view hear please do pm or post and we can sort out a day and time.

The only reason why I'm getting rid of her is that I feel I need more power and coming from a Mondeo ST220 and Mitsi FTO x 2 I think I'll be better suited to a Seat Leon.

Until next Monday I have limited internet access (Mon - Friday 8am - 5pm working time) until BT turn on our Broadband as we have just moved or please do text me on 07833 249701 (Andy).

Cheers

Andy

andy_airsoft
14-07-09, 10:42 AM
http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1139360.htm

There is some pictures of her.

The MOT is due in mid December and tax in August but if someone offers the full asking then they will get 6 months tax as well

Cheers

Andy

Yampiedog
14-07-09, 02:47 PM
Dropping like flies! personally I would test drive a Seat leon before you commit to selling, I'm sure you would find any great difference unless it's a newer model FR.

andy_airsoft
14-07-09, 02:54 PM
Got two friends with them and had an extended test drive of them (whole weekend) and had a smile from ear to ear.

One was a Cupra and the other was the Cupra R, the Cupra can be upgraded to 220bhp with just a remap and cone filter and the Cupra R was just a dream to drive.

Have enjoyed owning a ZS but just crave more power then they can produce.

I'm sure someone will be more then happy with her.

afcbadam
14-07-09, 04:45 PM
i wouldnt mention the vis motor is playing up. let the buyer find that out.

andy_airsoft
14-07-09, 04:53 PM
Im happy to let the buyer know it only as I want to be 100% honest, it does work sometimes but could do with stripping and fixing which if it doesnt sell in set time i'll ebay / autotrader it fix before advertising

Anyone on here should know that the VIS will go at some point and knowing how to fix them isnt a secret so I feel an enthusiast would know its not a major problem, the plenum is working fine so 20 / 30 mins fixing the VIS for someone is time well spent, as you know ive just moved house so every minute of my time at home is spent painting / stripping wallpaper and laying carpet lol so not really got the time to sort it.

If its a deal breaker then i'll get my dad to fix it as he's pretty handy with a soldering iron and a drill

Cheer tho mate :happy:

andy_airsoft
15-07-09, 03:59 PM
Just been offered £1700 from someone on pistonheads so if anyone can match that from here they have got a deal otherwise it will probably go to this guy

If anyone is interested please text me on 07833 249701

Dan1971
15-07-09, 05:06 PM
i wouldnt mention the vis motor is playing up. let the buyer find that out.

Fair enough trading into a dealer ... but to us guys ... Good on him for describing the car honestly.

andy_airsoft
16-07-09, 10:52 AM
Thanks Dan :) I do want buyers to know that the car isnt 100% perfect but for £1700 and an 8 year old car you cant expect it to be perfect.

Ive said to the guy thats offered the £1700 that I'll let him know by the weekend, still not sure I'm happy going to that price but we will see, there are a few cars Ive seen that I like but would rather wait and get one that I want.

Was offered £700 part ex yesterday and the garage that offered that said "has the HG gone on it yet" to which I replied "sorry do you know nothing about the v6 MG ZS's then as that only happens to the K series engine and not the KV6 engine". The man really didn't know about the Leon either as I said to him about the cam belt neededing changing for the second time and he said "oh does it, didn't know that" so needless to say I told him where to go.

My dad did have a look at the VIS last night and being a sparky for BT for 20 years he knows what to look for in an electrical circuit. all the solders looked ok and once back in it seems to work 8/10 times with the smaller kick at 3000rpm and the main one at 3500 - 3800rpm which is good so anyone looking to buy will notice the difference.

I hope it does go to someone here rather then someone who wont be able to look after her as well i.e a garage or non MG nut!

andy_airsoft
20-07-09, 08:48 AM
Still for sale and have more pictures available to email for anyone thats interested.

Still at £1700 with no offers please unless it's a Seat Leon Cupra or a VW Golf 1.8T.

Cheers

Andy

andy_airsoft
20-07-09, 12:45 PM
Looks like it might be swapped, meeting with a guy who has a 2001 Golf GTI Turbo tomorrow night, it has 72k on the clock, new turbo, full leather, break front and back all new, FSH and cambelts done 10k ago.

Not the colour I was looking for but a nice clean example but needs a bit of work to the body work to make her 100%

Thanks for everyones help with the ZS over the past few weeks (Adam, Mick esp)

Andy

Yampiedog
20-07-09, 03:12 PM
Looks like it might be swapped, meeting with a guy who has a 2001 Golf GTI Turbo tomorrow night, it has 72k on the clock, new turbo, full leather, break front and back all new, FSH and cambelts done 10k ago.

Not the colour I was looking for but a nice clean example but needs a bit of work to the body work to make her 100%

Thanks for everyones help with the ZS over the past few weeks (Adam, Mick esp)

Andy

TBH I was a little disappointed with the Golf's of that era. My brother had a V6 4motion and it felt slow compared to ZS and a friend had a GTi Turbo and I'm sure performance wise, at least on paper that was only a 7.5 sec car to 60. Also wasn't it only 150 bhp? The only plus side is the build quality and the fact you will be able to get more power from it for less money than on the ZS.

andy_airsoft
20-07-09, 03:40 PM
yeah the 0-60 is slower on the standard car but being a turbo you can up the boost and add some goodies to make it up to 225 bhp for little money (around the £700 mark)

The build quality of VW's are excellent, Ive had a Mk1 Golf Clipper soft top when I was 20 and that was one hell of a car.

I know its not the most exciting car but at least when I come to sell it I shouldnt have any problems (well I hope so)

Dan1971
20-07-09, 03:44 PM
If you get a straight swap ... You've had a result. That Golf should be £3K +.

Good luck mate.

andy_airsoft
20-07-09, 03:46 PM
Swapped for the ZS and £55 in cash which pays for half the car tax as the golf is taxed until end of Oct and mine was until end of August.

Was a real result, he did say the body is fine but probably needs £300-400 of work to make it 100%

had a look on pistonheads and one with the same spec and mileage was up for £3700 so very happy with the swap.

stamford
20-07-09, 04:21 PM
As long as you are happy Andy, then all's good! I hope you directed the new owner to here! ;)

Nor
20-07-09, 04:27 PM
Sounds like a good swap money wise. Hope you enjoy it.

andy_airsoft
20-07-09, 04:35 PM
Dont worry Mick I've written down all the good MG ZS site such as this ;)

gott give him a fighting chance of knowing what to do if it ever goes wrong

afcbadam
20-07-09, 04:44 PM
they are good cars, my mate has a w reg 1.8T gti. the zs is faster in a straight line 0-60 but not a huge amount. its after 60 that counts and then zs is in a different league . much much quicker.

although as andy said. 220 -250 bhp is easy and cheap. a ko4 turbo (i think thats the one) and a remap can see around 220 bhp

Dan1971
20-07-09, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a good swap money wise. Hope you enjoy it.

That sounds too good to be true !

Well done. If I were you, unless you know the guy, I'd be getting it thoroughly checked out.

Yampiedog
20-07-09, 06:54 PM
I thought about this after I put my earlier post and thought that value wise you are on to a winner as long as his valuation of £300-£400 on bodywork is accurate. I would be tempted to sell it.

Dan1971
20-07-09, 07:09 PM
...... I would be tempted to sell it.

+1.......
Still ...... No surprise really !.... I'm on my 4th MG in 18 months ...

drewbles
20-07-09, 11:54 PM
sounds like you got a good deal there mate i had a 20vt ibiza cupra before my zs but i missed my old zs180 so cupra went and i got another zs when i picked my zs up my dad drove that back and i was in my cupra and accelerating from 70 the zs ate my cupra but the 20vt is an easily tuneable engine airfilter,ss exhaust and a stage 1 remap would see you at about 210 bhp no trouble

andy_airsoft
21-07-09, 09:26 AM
well Ive been a little lucky as my boss is a big VW Golf nut and said he will put £1k into to her so bodywork and major service is coming its way and what ever I have left goes on R32 mods such as alloys, lower it as its sitting a little high, and mods to the engine.

As drewbles said I can get her up to 210 - 225 bhp for what I would class as little money and its a VW so should last a while

Ive done the text check and seems to be all ok so guess I'll just have to wait and see tonight

andy_airsoft
22-07-09, 09:16 AM
OMG!!!!!!! :mml:

The golf is pretty darn good, the guy didnt tell me on the phone that when he replaced the turbo he replaced it with a ko3s turbo which ups the bhp big time and he had it stage 1 chipped so its running at around 200bhp

dear god its fast, I love having a turbo car now, I'm sure there will be times when I hate it but wow wotta car.

If anyone is interested in swapping their car for a Audi A3 1.8T in met blue mot till april 2010 tax august private plate full recaro leather seats a guy on pistonheads emailed me last night for the ZS.

I will be sorry to lose the ZS but it was worth it.

Dan1971
22-07-09, 09:43 AM
Glad you're happy mate, but sounds to me more like the guys running "Zee Germans" want a bit of British KV6 raw muscle, instead of pumped up four-pot 1.8's.

Good shout but I for one, will be staying put. :strongbench:

andy_airsoft
22-07-09, 09:58 AM
lol yeah well happy

just did a bit of research and looks like it should be more like 200 - 210 going on the current mods, will have to RR to see for sure.

I do love the kv6 engine but hated the fact that the plenum or VIS can go wrong at anytime