PDA

View Full Version : gearbox whine

Smokie
13-07-09, 04:55 PM
hi all i have a slight whine coming from the gearbox of ZS180. its not there when i acclerate, only when sitting at steady revs and when i decelerate. i have done a search on here and its seems that a few people have had slight whines from there g/boxes aswell. i was going to check the oil level but is there anyway of doing this? can i just put say a litre in just incase it is on the lowside or will this cause more problems?
Thanks Neil

Phate
13-07-09, 05:03 PM
Can't see how you'd check it. Best bet is to just drain it and fill it up with new stuff. It takes 1.6l :)

Smokie
13-07-09, 05:05 PM
Thanks Phate will probably do that, its probably due anyway. need to spend a bit of time on the car got a few jobs mounting up.

Phate
13-07-09, 05:06 PM
The drain bolt is located on the front of the gearbox, drivers side. I think its the only one pointing forward if memory serves :)

Smokie
13-07-09, 05:10 PM
Thanks again Phate knowing my luck i would undo the wrong bolt and end up with g/box on my head lol

Phate
13-07-09, 05:18 PM
Thanks again Phate knowing my luck i would undo the wrong bolt and end up with g/box on my head lol

Haha its held on by several so I doubt that :p

You'll soon know if its the one or not as engine oil will start running out :D

Go for a run first or the oil will take AGES to come out :)

RalphG
13-07-09, 06:42 PM
The correct level for the gearbox is level with the bottom of the filler plug. The gearbox take 2.4L from dry and 2.1L for a refill (from memory). If refilling, only use MTF94. Any other oil will shorten the life of the gearbox, leading to it whining...

Overfilling the gearbox could lead to other problems, such as blowing the oil seals on the drive shafts. :axe:

Phate
13-07-09, 07:04 PM
That's odd, when I rang Opie Oils they told me it takes 1.6L?

Alan.F
13-07-09, 09:06 PM
I will confirm its 2.4L as i have had to put another box in mine as i blew the diesel one up lol

ZS
14-07-09, 08:06 AM
You can check the oil level by removing the filler plug and putting a home made "dipstick" in to check how low below the filler plug the level is...

Home made "dip stick" - I just use a cable tie bent at 90 degree's works wonders :)

I check the oil in the box once every few weeks... its low at the moment, but then I can't be arsed to fill it up as a new (PHATE?) box will be being fitted soon with LSD and new seals!