PDA

View Full Version : Who Likes Fitness

Simon's ZS-120
21-07-09, 07:06 PM
Well i Only got 8 Months till i can rejoin the amry and need to start back on the fitness but well im finding it hard and in the need of some help. some one to help me would be great:whip:

afcbadam
21-07-09, 07:14 PM
im a regular down the gym, not in to the running side, just the weight's side.

nackered now as ive just got back from a 2.5 hour session

Simon's ZS-120
21-07-09, 07:18 PM
2.5hours what how long will i need to train for to get back to like amazing at every thing

stamford
21-07-09, 07:21 PM
Good for you fella. I can't help as I'm a lazy ****** and too old! I have a multi-gym in the garage and full fridge of beer, that's my fitness regime! :D

Simon's ZS-120
21-07-09, 07:22 PM
lol second time in hope this tile the leg will hold up longer maybe this time ill train harder

Phate
21-07-09, 07:24 PM
If you need to strengthen your leg then you need to start off easy and build up slowly. I would recommend doing aerobics stuff :)

stamford
21-07-09, 07:24 PM
Change of diet and alot of running to get the stamina levels up. You might be best getting some advice from a personal trainer.

Simon's ZS-120
21-07-09, 07:29 PM
££££ sounds expensive what the cheaper option just come across some scary old army pics lol look so young

stamford
21-07-09, 07:42 PM
Surely it can't cost anything to get some advice from someone, ROKO have these trainers, my nephew is one.

Simon's ZS-120
21-07-09, 07:45 PM
ah well of to the gym to see how much it cost for a persnal trainer

edmo
21-07-09, 08:13 PM
speak to the afco mate sometimes they run of sessions for people who want to get in. My missus was offered this by tottenham court rd branch but she got pregnant before she got in. They also have DVDs and training plans to start low and build it up to required level. Also remember basic training (if u have to repeat this) expects to see you improve. Therefore don't get too amazing LOL justvgdt to a standard where you can get in and do well

Simon's ZS-120
21-07-09, 08:24 PM
well as ive been in before i need to make sure im better than what i was before or it will look like ive done nothing

R8NMG
21-07-09, 08:38 PM
Do a combination of cardio and weights. If it is general fitness you don't want to be lifting 100kg.

Simon's ZS-120
21-07-09, 08:45 PM
100kg hahahahahahaha not in my life time but thanks i will see how it goes

afcbadam
22-07-09, 04:07 AM
the personal trainers down my gym are a waste of time. if you want fitness and strength, running and weights will be the best way to go. get in to a sport, football boxing, any thing like that to help build up strength.

swimming is a good way to go as it works alot of muscles in the body.

it all works, im a 20 a day smoker and i can run a 4 minute mile no problem

Dan1971
22-07-09, 08:07 AM
Most gyms should have staff there who can make a programme up for you designed around the type of fitness you are after, ie general fitness and stamina, just plain strength, or a mix of the two. That shouldn't cost you anything, as most of them will be sitting around without much to do all day.

Don't forget swimming if you're looking for something to increase your general fitness, as there is no impact on your joints, and if running's not for you, in the gym try the rowing machine - excellent all round cardio !

I've just started pounding the roads again preparing for a 10 mile run in Portsmouth in October. Can't wait ! :no:

Dan1971
22-07-09, 08:09 AM
...... i can run a 4 minute mile no problem

Blimey !!!

StragglaSteve
22-07-09, 11:30 AM
If its good usable fitness your after i would recommend compound exercises which are a great way to get all round strength!

so things like deadlift, squats, bench press, military press, pull ups and push ups

i assume because its for the army your after a good bit of endurance! so try not to go too heavy on the weights so your able to do sets of 15 - 20 reps ... the more reps you do the more endurance training and less strength training it is.. so find a balance that suits you! i personally aim for 8-10 reps, but im after strength more then endurance ;)

and as others have recommended... swimming, running and a good diet will give you heaps of energy!

as for strength.. i like to use the general rule that every man should be able to cope with his own body weight! so if your 12.5 stone like me... should be able to do a 80kg bench press (including the bar) or do 10 pull ups no sweat!

Anyway.. good luck on your training!!

Simon's ZS-120
22-07-09, 12:06 PM
lol i can feel these next 5 months becoming very painfull but started on one thing and nearly got an 8 pack

TjP
22-07-09, 03:28 PM
If you're training for the military I wouldnt bother too much with weights tbh. Better off doing bodyweight exercises - pushups, pullups, tricep dips, squats, etc. Endurance is the key, not power. Adding in some weight lifting won't hurt, of course, but keep the reps high (20ish.)

I dunno about the Army, but for the RAF you need to be able to run 1.5 miles (2.4km) on the treadmill in under 12 minutes... which is not hard, but of course the fitter you are the better. Personally I try to do 2x 4 mile runs a week, just to keep a steady level of fitness.

afcbadam
22-07-09, 04:21 PM
Blimey !!!

tbh i think its the fact that i have always been involved in sport. played football from the age of about 6, do a min of 4 sessions a week down the gym, weight training and boxing.

boxing involves a lot of skipping rope work so that keeps me reasonabally fit.

if i didnt smoke or drink and lost my beer belly i honestally dont think ill be alot fitter.

Jay-ZS+
22-07-09, 04:51 PM
Id like to be fit does that count, Just to watch Mr Motivator when I was eating my breakfast that was about as close to a gym ive come lol

Simon's ZS-120
22-07-09, 06:01 PM
If you're training for the military I wouldnt bother too much with weights tbh. Better off doing bodyweight exercises - pushups, pullups, tricep dips, squats, etc. Endurance is the key, not power. Adding in some weight lifting won't hurt, of course, but keep the reps high (20ish.)

I dunno about the Army, but for the RAF you need to be able to run 1.5 miles (2.4km) on the treadmill in under 12 minutes... which is not hard, but of course the fitter you are the better. Personally I try to do 2x 4 mile runs a week, just to keep a steady level of fitness.

nice the amry is

1.5 miles in under 11 mins

60 sit ups in 2 mins

60 press ups 2 mins

and you have to lift i think 25kg above your head maybe more but that is ****

TjP
22-07-09, 07:11 PM
nice the amry is

1.5 miles in under 11 mins

60 sit ups in 2 mins

60 press ups 2 mins

and you have to lift i think 25kg above your head maybe more but that is ****

Lol, the RAF's pushups/situps reqs are a bit crap. I think its 10 pushups in 1 min lmao. I can do about 45 in one minute atm and they're not something I do a lot of.

25kg over the head... hmm, not tried but I carry 60kg sacks on my shoulder every day so I reckon I could lift 25 over my head ok, tis the weight of a cement bag and those aren't so bad.

lewerty
22-07-09, 07:33 PM
rowing is always good

edmo
22-07-09, 07:46 PM
Last time I did my fitness test it was still 50 sit ups and 44 push ups. This changes after 30 years old tho. Run is 10.30 mile and half when you get to phase 2 and main units