PDA

View Full Version : What needs changing!?

rozzr
24-07-09, 09:05 PM
Driving along today and put it into third about 2k revs, and it is really lumpy.. feels like its stuttering and it is making a wierd sort of muffled bang bang bang noise from the exhaust.

It seems to me like it was misfiring or something but not sure - so i guess leads or plugs??

Anyway, a week or two ago i did wash the engine bay and this could have led to this id imagine from water getting under the rocker cover....

So what is it most likely to be and what should i do to sort it?

Thanks

Simon's ZS-120
24-07-09, 09:06 PM
lol its sounds to me like the pre cat is on its way out mine done that ran like **** for ages

rozzr
24-07-09, 09:10 PM
no its definately not the exhaust, its from the engine as it isnt driving right and if i let it idle it would do so irratically, with revs jumping up and down.

its a hard noise to describe but its certainly not the noise of an exhaust that needs replacing.

Ritchy
24-07-09, 09:16 PM
take the coil's out, n take the plugs out, because youve washed your engine, more than likely water has gone down the plug holes, causing it to ark out, mine did this after i washed mine, get some wd40 on the lead ends while youve got them out to dry it out, n clean the leads with this too to reduce any tracking, look for any black marks on the leads

talkingcars
24-07-09, 09:17 PM
Cats failing can cause the lanbda probes to misread what is going on and incorrectly alter fueling. When the cat fails it wont definatly sound like any other part of the exhuast as it's the internal elements collapsing.

Ritchy
24-07-09, 09:21 PM
the bangs could be the unburnt fuel caused by the misfire going into the cat and detonating, making the bang, i mean if you have driven this for a long time like this you could have caused some damage, but short term shouldnt be a problem, try the leads first before doing any exhaust work, i mean for the sakes of 10 minutes and no cost except the wd40

rozzr
24-07-09, 10:42 PM
its a very tempremental problem, happens once then not again for a while.

it is a banging from the exhaust, it's a problem in the engine as you can tell from how it is idling.

ok i will try taking the bits out and drying it out, i thought this would be the problem as my mate had the same problem with his ZR but he just took it to a garage so he didnt know exactly what had been done which is why i wanted to check with yall on here

Ritchy
24-07-09, 10:47 PM
you need an 8mm for the coils n cover, and a spark plug socket, its nothing you cant do yourself just checking here, it doesnt happen say under load after the engines got hot, dodgy coils can cause this, first port of call is seeing if theres any water though

rozzr
29-07-09, 06:44 PM
one of the holes where the leads go into was full of oil when i checked.

so took it to the garage, they hooked up the diagnostics machine to check why the EML was on and it came up as a sensor error. so they replaced that but car still wasnt right.

so then they replaced the rocker gasket and cleaned up the oil.

but no, car still not right.

the guy mentioned something to do with the oil coming from the cam or something... any ideas what it could be?

afcbadam
29-07-09, 08:25 PM
i had this, jet washed my old k series and ended up replaceing the ignition leads and coil.
this stopped the arking, after that it ran fine.

Ritchy
29-07-09, 08:38 PM
what sensor did they replace? sounds a bit strange, the heads in layers on them, its the head itself, then the cams go in, then a ladder goes over that, which may be whats leaking, in which case it needs sealed with the yellow rover gasket sealer, part number: LVV000108EVA, just checking here, might sound cheeky but not trying to be, you havent accidently spilled oil down it when filling up oil have you? seen it done thats why i ask.

michaelb
30-07-09, 08:14 PM
dodgy throttle pot maybe?

had this on mine......erratic idle and mis-firing.

was traced to a faulty throttle pot......if you can try changing it for a known good unit.