PDA

View Full Version : I'm back in my ZS

p_b82
29-07-09, 09:54 AM
Well,

i think that this deserves to be announced in a whole new thread....

I have my car back again and all the niggles have been resolved, I want to say a huge thanks to rally matt for the work he has put in on it and the hurdles he crossed to get it to where it is now.

Also another huge thanks to Matt Reidy as well, for the number of 'near misses' i have arranged to pop to yeovil, and also his knowledge on the mapping side of things.

But all i can is is OMFG the car is quick, it pulls and pulls and is as smooth and refined as it was before i gave the keys up all that time ago - more so with the diff's effects on handling - no torque steer or understeer :)

i dont have any figures for it yet, as the mapping needs to be tweaked by matt reidy to make the most of things on the dyno, as yet we have not been in a position to do this until now.

But when i do get to pop down to get things finalised i will find out if i have been able to achieve a ZS 180TD :D

It does however really really really need a clean - one side is grey the other is black due to the boost leak lol

Pete

stamford
29-07-09, 09:59 AM
Excellent news! Be like having a whole new car again! Looking forward to seeing the end results, Matt knows his stuff :thumbsup:

p_b82
29-07-09, 10:27 AM
It is and isn't - the car fits me like a glove, but being such a long time without it, i have fallen in love with it once more. I am desperately trying not to jump in and go driving :)

matt had a play with a CTR and a 306 6 before he dropped it off yesterday and they popped into the servies to have a chat about it they were that impressed - all before i got there lol

Marky Mark
29-07-09, 10:32 AM
Glad you are enjoying your zed again, I bet the new diff makes a big difference to the handling also, nice one!! :mml:

Jay-ZS+
29-07-09, 03:42 PM
Glad to hear its all back and running smoothly matt seems to def know his stuff, Just in time for the janspeed meet ;)

Now peterzs has diesel compertion :)

arwilson80
29-07-09, 04:06 PM
so now you'll give the petrol ones a run for their money... :( can't have an 'oil burner' beating a nice 'gas guzzler'. :p

afcbadam
29-07-09, 04:14 PM
a 180 diesel will pi$$ all over a 180 petrol, a lot more torque, quicker ratio gear box, power comes in earlier

Jay-ZS+
29-07-09, 04:16 PM
would be intresting to compare maybe diesel is the way forward lol

p_b82
29-07-09, 04:55 PM
would love to come to the JS meet, but i can't i will be at Sonisphere anyway that weekend (metal festival).

I have just been out for a spin, and i am having to remember i am driving a turbo'd derv again, got it roaring at 4000 rpm then reaslied i should have changed to 5th much sooner.

The in gear acceleration is just mind boggling, and i am sure that when the map is tweaked this last time, it should get a little better. Jusst have to wait a few weeks for that to happen tho.

I think however that a 180 petrol would leave stood in a sprint to 60 or above, unless i got a good 2nd gear launch. Once rolling tho i think it would be much closer.

the diesel actually has the longest ratio box and FD out the PG1 family, and i think i really need a 6th gear, i have asked matt about that to start with and had a heart attack at the price involved so dont think it will happen ;)

And with no offence to Peter, i would hope that hte bits i have added to mine would make it a slightly one sided competition.. in my favour. If not will be back to the drawing board, or just deal with it and cry lol.

there is still the option to increase the boost pressure a bit as well, but i am a bit wary of running such high boost tbh. time will tell however :)

grimmy
29-07-09, 05:01 PM
Lucky Bstard would love to see Anthrax again with John Bush singing.

peterzs
29-07-09, 06:52 PM
Glad its up and running, you will have to take it to Santa Pod, "Run what you brung".

Mine did 17.5 secs with terminal speed of 82 mph. Slow for the 180,s but I was pleased with it, wheel spin on take off didn't help.

Be great to see you and the mighty derv at one of the meets.:wave::wave::wave:

Dave ZS-X
29-07-09, 07:36 PM
glad its all worked for you mate car sounds great fun.
I know what a big lump of torque feels like and it makes for one effortlessly quick car.
Midrange and in gear acceleration it will rip a v6 180 a new one but flat out sprint through the gears will be close.

Dave

p_b82
30-07-09, 09:00 AM

I am planning to take it to a RWYB day at some point, but not until it is all bedded in and settled. I am sure it could take it, but i am slightly paranoid.

One thing i never suffered from was wheelspin in mine when standard, it would hop and shake to bits but not spin... now the quaife is in there, it is less likely too i would imagine :)

doesn't means to say that i would be able to get it off the line well tho..

I hope to be able to pop down to a meet at some point, atm any excuse to take it for a drive is being used, took a 10min detour to get the car up to temp to hed to a friends house that would have been quicker to walk to