PDA

View Full Version : Insurance and declaring modifications

Jay-ZS+
08-08-09, 08:01 AM
Im with AF and although after I ring them up at 9 to declare the lastest mods they will all be stated but my question is what do you have to declare,
Ive added to mine:
Extreme saloon spoiler - Standard MG-R part but never standard on a hatch
Mk2 bumper - standard MG-R part on all MK2s :laugh: but not the MK1s
MK1 skirts - Standard MG-R part but not fitted to mine at factory,
Janspeed / xpower cat back - Believe this was an optional extra at factory,

Ive got them listed as obviously dont want to give them a reason to no pay out should anything happen,

Also what about things like start button should prob stick that on the list,

But what about the people that just add the standard splitter and skirts should they then be declared as a modification as it is but was a factory standard on most of the range??

starfire039
08-08-09, 11:21 AM
I would declare anything that wasn't standard or an optional extra at factory. So wouldn't bother declaring your side skirts- they are an optional extra. The spoiler, yes- that wasn't an optional upgrade. etc etc

Jay-ZS+
08-08-09, 11:30 AM
Well everything ive put on the car is declared, Its a modified policy so today declared , Full exhaust,decat,Audio,lowered 30mm,Start button. And my policy went up by a whooping 0p :D

Asked about fitting a Cat 1 alarm system and they said would make no difference when I come to renew next year!

will-w
08-08-09, 07:43 PM
I love Flux's approach to modified policy's... I'm with Chris Knott and they want £35 for the decat & exhaust :(

My modified policy on the CRX was £50 cheaper than standard, and I had an engine swap that gave an additional 40bhp! :D

RalphG
08-08-09, 11:18 PM
Strictly speaking, you should declare any modification from the standard specification of the model. That includes factory and dealer fitted optional extras (paint (e.h. solid to metallic), wheels, spoiler, side skirts, cd changer, etc.)

Phate
09-08-09, 12:01 AM
Adrian Flux are awesome with their...'policys'

My mate who runs a 420T GSI (now at about 250bhp) when he first got the car was completely undecided about whether or not to declare the mods....first off he replaced the back box and thought what the hell so told AF...his policy came back with 'modified exhaust' - so he's now got a full 3" Mongoose system (manifolds including) still all under 'modified exhaust'

Love it!

will-w
09-08-09, 12:02 AM
True, I should tell my insurance company about the mk1 180 door cards I've put in, and the change of the head unit...

Problem is, where do you draw the line?

will-w
09-08-09, 12:03 AM

My mate who runs a 420T GSI (now at about 250bhp) when he first got the car was completely undecided about whether or not to declare the mods....first off he replaced the back box and thought what the hell so told AF...his policy came back with 'modified exhaust' - so he's now got a full 3" Mongoose system (manifolds including) still all under 'modified exhaust'

Love it!

Yup!

I had:

'Engine change'
'Modified Exhaust'
'Modified Induction'
'Modified Suspension'

Paid £50 less than stock, and could basically do whatever the heck I liked!:clap2:

Maxfly
09-08-09, 08:03 AM

Love it!

Admiral are the same, when i phoned up o tell em i had de-catted the car an put in stainless centre section was told it makes no odds as had modified exhaust for back-box already:D

afaia, you should let insurers know about optional extras....not heard it make an odds but they like to know apparently:)

Jay-ZS+
09-08-09, 03:00 PM
Yer well I think i could do pretty much anything with mine as now ive got
"body kit" - skirts , extreme spoiler, mk2 front, Alloys
"modified breaks & suspension" 180 breaks, ebc discs & pads, motobuild springs
"modified exhaust" Janspeed cat back, decat, 421 mani
"aftermaket audio" lots of audio

Just need engine change and then pay the AA boys a vist for the T16....one day :)

Love the way that one bracket covers so much although dont think AF have a like for like policy.