PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone fitted heated mirrors ??

rbull51
22-08-09, 03:48 PM
I was thinking about fitting heated mirrors but how difficult is it and what might i need to fit them?

Jay-ZS+
22-08-09, 04:16 PM
I may be wrong but werent they standard on the zed, or maybe they are just electric as cant remeber as replaced mine,

SARENG
22-08-09, 04:20 PM
Standard on my 120+, 03 reg.

will-w
22-08-09, 07:05 PM
Standard on my 2005 mk2...

They also appear to be on all the time (are hot to touch after a few mins of the engine running)... Thought that they would have only come on when the rear window demist was on?

RudeDogg1
22-08-09, 07:07 PM
standard on my mk1 02 to

ThumpJunkie
22-08-09, 07:12 PM
Apparently they are standard on my ZR 160 too, however they've never been hot :rock:

Jay-ZS+
22-08-09, 07:14 PM
wow seems I wasnt wrong for once! :smartass: lol

grimmy
22-08-09, 07:30 PM
fitted as standard, handy when you live up here.

talkingcars
22-08-09, 07:34 PM
All MGR vehicles fitted with electric mirrors also come with heated mirrors that come on with the ignition, it is much easier to wire the heater part in with the ignition than with the heated rear screen.

However the N/S on my ZS and the O/S on the ZR don't work, I've yet to check it out but I suspect that it is faulty elements on the back of the glass.

rbull51
23-08-09, 02:00 PM
I dont have heated mirrors, they are electric but not heated. I have also seen other zs's without the heated mirror button. ??

grimmy
23-08-09, 02:16 PM
I dont have heated mirrors, they are electric but not heated. I have also seen other zs's without the heated mirror button. ??
The Mirrors don't have a button for heating they come on with the ignition

Jem
23-08-09, 04:04 PM

On my rover i thought it was just electric as there was no button only to find out if you press and hold the electric mirror pad then it turns on the heater.

michaelb
23-08-09, 04:08 PM

if they are electric then they are heated also. there is no 'on' button on the 45 or ZS.

if they don't warm up then they're not working properly.

talkingcars
23-08-09, 09:40 PM
On my rover i thought it was just electric as there was no button only to find out if you press and hold the electric mirror pad then it turns on the heater.

Are you sure about that? 3 of us have all said that they come on with the ignition.

James

P.S.

I thought you had a ZS, not a 45!

Jem
23-08-09, 10:18 PM
Sorry when i was saying my rover im talking about my 414 i had before my Z
Are you sure about that? 3 of us have all said that they come on with the ignition.

James

P.S.

I thought you had a ZS, not a 45!

Now make that 4:thumbsup:

rbull51
24-08-09, 02:23 PM
I could be wrong but i dont think they do all have it, mine definatly dont heat up and never have done. Look at this parkers link, it indicates that the items which are marked were not standard fit on all models...???
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/equipment/Summary.aspx?model=1113

SARENG
24-08-09, 02:59 PM
I read that as coming with heated mirrors as standard?? Even my old 1990 Rover 216Gsi had heated mirrors... Maybe yours are just not working? They definitely come on with the ignition, no button!

michaelb
24-08-09, 07:06 PM
I could be wrong but i dont think they do all have it, mine definatly dont heat up and never have done. Look at this parkers link, it indicates that the items which are marked were not standard fit on all models...???
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/equipment/Summary.aspx?model=1113

parkers is not a reliable source of information to be honest.

all rover 25/45/ZR/ZS fitted with electric mirrors are also heated. i'm not sure if the earlier 200/400 are the same but i would imagine that they are.

if yours don't heat up( and it's only luke warm anyway) then they are not working.

do you have to de-ice them in winter as you would with your windscreen? or do they clear themselves?

rbull51
24-08-09, 07:15 PM
parkers is not a reliable source of information to be honest.

all rover 25/45/ZR/ZS fitted with electric mirrors are also heated. i'm not sure if the earlier 200/400 are the same but i would imagine that they are.

if yours don't heat up( and it's only luke warm anyway) then they are not working.

do you have to de-ice them in winter as you would with your windscreen? or do they clear themselves?
I would say that they dont work at all as when they are misted / condensated up from a misty morning they do not clear as quick as i would expect from heated mirrors, they only seem to clear because of the wind from driving along, which even then is around 5 miles or so and they have only just cleared. I used to own a 1997 rover 400 with heated mirrors and they were superb. Got noticably warm/hot and cleared anything that was on them in minutes! How do i take the glass out so i could check the cables & connections behind??

talkingcars
24-08-09, 10:55 PM
To remove the glass you need to angle the mirror into the car, I then found you have to pull the outer edge out very slightly, apply pressure on the inner edge and out it pops.

Hambo-180
25-08-09, 07:39 AM
i've got a mk1 ZS 180 and dont think the heated mirrors have ever heated up!! Bought the car brand new to!!

talkingcars
25-08-09, 09:55 PM
i've got a mk1 ZS 180 and dont think the heated mirrors have ever heated up!! Bought the car brand new to!!

Electrically controlled exterior mirrors have automatic, integral heating elements for dispersing ice and mist.
so there you go

Hambo-180
31-08-09, 09:48 AM
so there you go

so there you go? mmm, I know the car should have heated mirrors but mine dont seem to work and never have done! They certanly dont clear mist never mind ice. I used to have a Rover 220 GSi and its mirrors heated up and cleared mist in about 30secs....

talkingcars
31-08-09, 09:07 PM
I spent a bit of time today looking at the mirrors on both our cars, it seems that the elements short as there was power from the car and open circuits on both the heating and non heating mirrors, I will have to get a new replacment and see if that works.

Hambo-180
01-09-09, 07:39 AM
I spent a bit of time today looking at the mirrors on both our cars, it seems that the elements short as there was power from the car and open circuits on both the heating and non heating mirrors, I will have to get a new replacment and see if that works.

let me know how you get on, would be good to get mine working after all these years!!

cheers
Hamish

rbull51
01-09-09, 02:13 PM
At least im not the only one with heated mirrors that have never worked!! Will be interested to see how you get on.. (could you maybe do a 'how to with pictures' as to getting the mirror glass out?? )

Hambo-180
01-09-09, 03:07 PM
At least im not the only one with heated mirrors that have never worked!! Will be interested to see how you get on.. (could you maybe do a 'how to with pictures' as to getting the mirror glass out?? )

a "how to" would be a great idea, years ago when i had a my Rover 220GSi someone hit the drivers door mirror and smashed the glass and it was a swine to try and get the new glass fitted, tried to do it outside the MG/Rover parts dept, was there for ages when a friendly mechanic fitted it for me......:blush:

rbull51
16-09-09, 05:48 PM
I finally got around to getting my wing mirror glass out today. It seems that my mirrors should be heated (as previously told in this thread), i tested the connections and it seems there is power, so it looks like its the heating element in the mirror itself that has stopped working! Is it possible to buy a replacement heated mirror but with a blue tint like the BMW's & Mercedes??

Hambo-180
18-09-09, 06:35 PM

james how did you get on with this? Just been reading rbull51's thread and i think have the same problem....

talkingcars
18-09-09, 06:53 PM
I didn't get very far, I bought a replacment from eBay but it turned out to be for a powerfold mirror and although I'd love powerfold I'm not ready yet.

I will be getting another when I get around to it and will do a quick how to, proberbly as a link on one of my web sites.

Hambo-180
18-09-09, 06:58 PM
I didn't get very far, I bought a replacment from eBay but it turned out to be for a powerfold mirror and although I'd love powerfold I'm not ready yet.

I will be getting another when I get around to it and will do a quick how to, proberbly as a link on one of my web sites.

would be good to get mine working, maybe a bit late in the day but......
one of your websites....sounds interesting!!

talkingcars
18-09-09, 07:06 PM
www.talkingcars.me.uk and www.babelfish.demon.co.uk
both need loads of work to look professional but time is a factor :(

Hambo-180
18-09-09, 07:14 PM
www.talkingcars.me.uk and www.babelfish.demon.co.uk
both need loads of work to look professional but time is a factor :(

both look good to me James, a labour of love mate...!!!