PDA

View Full Version : newbie looking for a little advice

wolfie
01-09-09, 08:02 AM
morning all, i'm looking for a bit of advice. i've been offered a 2001 zs 180 saloon in a deal with my current ford but i haven't had any experience of these cars. are there any problems i need to be looking out for? what is the situation regarding the head gasket as i've heard they can be a problem on some of these? i don't particually want to get burned like i did with the tomcat turbo i had a few years ago, damn thing cost me about 1k in six months just in mechanical repairs. all your help will be greatly appreciated
cheers carl

Hambo-180
01-09-09, 08:26 AM
morning all, i'm looking for a bit of advice. i've been offered a 2001 zs 180 saloon in a deal with my current ford but i haven't had any experience of these cars. are there any problems i need to be looking out for? what is the situation regarding the head gasket as i've heard they can be a problem on some of these? i don't particually want to get burned like i did with the tomcat turbo i had a few years ago, damn thing cost me about 1k in six months just in mechanical repairs. all your help will be greatly appreciated
cheers carl

morning mate, i've got a Mk1 52 plate ZS 180 with 78k miles on the clock and bought it new,, haven't had any serious problems with it, thermostat went a couple of months ago £225 to get fixed, VIS motors replaced last month, apart from that the car has been great....and its 7 years old today!!:beer2:

peterzs
01-09-09, 08:29 AM
Hi and welcome Carl, Ive got a derv, so much help but Im sure others will fill you in.

From whay Ive gathered on here the Head gasket is not a problem on the V6, its the K series engines that give the problems.

There are a couple of motors that open up when you put your foot down, VIS plus something else, these seem to go but if you ask on here there is an easy (?) fix, clutch master and slave cylinders give a bit of problem but there is a kit to replace with an upgraded system.

Where abouts are you? if any one is nearby maybe they could have a drive and let you know if its any good.

.:hi::hi:

arwilson80
01-09-09, 09:08 AM
Like the others have said...

Head gasket - not normally a problem on the KV6, however the thermostat can go (i don't know if you can look into the bottom of the 'V' without taking off the plastic cover but the water / coolant mix lies there)

Timing belts - should already be done but just make sure (will cost in the region of £500 if they haven't)

VIS motors - Normally just a broken solder joint so can be fixed if you have the time. Some of us have fitted 'oil catch tanks' as damage limitation

Plenum - Can also fail (rattles and car is 'down on power'). No real 'quick fix' yet... Just a new one at £500. :(

Clutch / Slave - Can go but theres a 'Sheddist kit' to uprate it. Either £80 or £180 (can't remember which)

...am sure there are a few other things but that's most of the stuff summarised.

wolfie
01-09-09, 10:06 AM
£500 for timing belts? is that at a dealer or an indie? if i do decide to get it i'll probably look into the oil catch tank

Phate
01-09-09, 11:02 AM
£500 for timing belts? is that at a dealer or an indie? if i do decide to get it i'll probably look into the oil catch tank

Thats both really, its a right pain in the neck job, trust me! :p

Best price I've seen recently is about £400

Whereabouts are you based dude, theres probably a member nearby which you can nosey round their car if you like :)

arwilson80
01-09-09, 12:22 PM

I have no idea what an Indie is, but i guess that price will kinda be an inbetween... If you are close to lates600 (www.lates600.com) he'll be a bit cheaper and have heard a lot of good stuff about his work. EMSltd posted a price a while back i think for what they charge but not sure what it was...

Phate
01-09-09, 12:58 PM
Indie - independant garage.

Basically not a dealer :thumbsup:

wolfie
01-09-09, 01:11 PM
i'm in sunny essex but i have a guy that does work on all my previous cars. most of my dads side of the family use him (although not as often as me lol) so he's as much a friend as he is a mechanic. which means jobs i always get a special low rate, he managed the belt an my calibra v6 so if it needs doing i should imagine he'll be fine

Hambo-180
01-09-09, 02:10 PM
i'm in sunny essex but i have a guy that does work on all my previous cars. most of my dads side of the family use him (although not as often as me lol) so he's as much a friend as he is a mechanic. which means jobs i always get a special low rate, he managed the belt an my calibra v6 so if it needs doing i should imagine he'll be fine

i got my belts done last December at my local garage, not an ex dealer, and it was £450, didnt include the water pump though....

fastmike
01-09-09, 02:37 PM
Well I sold my MG ZS180 about 3 month ago and I found out today that the headgaskets gone on it :(

fastmike
01-09-09, 02:39 PM
And the guy lives in Southend :|

Hambo-180
01-09-09, 02:46 PM
Well I sold my MG ZS180 about 3 month ago and I found out today that the headgaskets gone on it :(

thats not a common thing on the KV6 though is it? The head gaskets are more prone to go on the VVC engines.....?

arwilson80
01-09-09, 02:54 PM
Think it's the first KV6 that i've heard of it happening to in the time i've been on this site...

Hambo-180
01-09-09, 03:02 PM
Think it's the first KV6 that i've heard of it happening to in the time i've been on this site...

the VVC engines were bad for it but a KV6....got to be a first..!!

fastmike
01-09-09, 03:12 PM
I have no idea if a hose went or anything else to cause it tho........ its the third KV6 headgaskets I know of to go

Phate
01-09-09, 03:17 PM

Sunny Essex eh?

I your welcome to come over mine or vice versa and you can have a nose around it dude, or theres a brands hatch meet at the end of September head to that to see what they are like on the track :D

Phate
01-09-09, 03:17 PM
I have no idea if a hose went or anything else to cause it tho........ its the third KV6 headgaskets I know of to go

That's the 2nd I've heard of...it's cheaper for a new engine if it goes on them...very very very rare though. Shouldn't happen if looked after properly.

fastmike
01-09-09, 03:19 PM
Nate Dude howdy......... and whats this I read about a cat lol

Phate
01-09-09, 03:20 PM
Nate Dude howdy......... and whats this I read about a cat lol

:whistle:

fastmike
01-09-09, 03:21 PM
the test is due on the Scooby next week :'(
and I havent any cats on it lol :(

Phate
01-09-09, 03:24 PM
the test is due on the Scooby next week :'(
and I havent any cats on it lol :(

Cor bet that sounds mint with no cats hehe :D

fastmike
01-09-09, 03:26 PM
I shoulda fired it up while you were here lol
I mean its unfair that only my neighbours have gone deaf lol

Phate
01-09-09, 03:27 PM
I shoulda fired it up while you were here lol
I mean its unfair that only my neighbours have gone deaf lol

Brentwood ain't that far away :punk:

fastmike
01-09-09, 03:28 PM
Im at my sons lol ( southend) for a fe days

Phate
01-09-09, 03:46 PM
Bah, typical :p

wolfie
01-09-09, 05:00 PM
fastmike can you do me a favour and pm your old reg number please as the car i've been offered is in southend

fastmike
01-09-09, 07:06 PM
Sure thing Wolfie AO 51 YRW

afcbadam
01-09-09, 07:59 PM
i have heard of a few kv6 head gasket failures but like i say only a few.... unlike the k-series, i must have heard of millions of failures

wolfie
02-09-09, 09:12 AM
it would appear the offer i had has now disappered??? it was on that swapz.co.uk site

stamford
02-09-09, 10:29 AM
:hi: to the forum. HGF is rare on the KV6 and will only happen if the car is not looked after, like any other car tbh. Yes they do have other issues, but easily sorted and no real hassle. I have owned mine for over 4.5 years and has covered 73k miles and in that time replaced the plenum, repaired the vis motors, replaced the clutch master and slave with the excellent 'sheddist' kit (£148 all in) and the usual consumables.

Keep at it, there are plenty of bargins to be had out there, it is a buyers market.