PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions

Jay-ZS+
07-09-09, 09:22 PM
Right so Ive seen various threads by other people and its got me thinking, Ive got everything as I wanted on my car apart from whats under the hood, and after being in Daves car my drive hope was rather disappointing :unsure:

So my options are:
Get a 180 and spend a week or so swapping everything over from my car,
Tune the K-series
Or get hold of a :shifty: T-lump,

Not thinking of doing anything this week...well no time soon unless tuning the 120 as will start buying bits little at a time, but wanting something to eventually strip and take on track, The audio is great but the sound of a turbo would be just as good;)

The 180 seems the easiest option, but wont gain massive bhp over std 180 with out alot of money,
Now I kinda fancy tunning the k-series as not many people doing it and like the challenge but can just see pound signs and not huge gains,
Think the T-series is the best in the long term but will take a bit of saving up but AAautosport are doing great work and at great prices,

If I do T-series would I be better off selling mine and buying a zs with hgf then taking bits like my bumper and alloys off etc...

Really cant make my mind up

stamford
08-09-09, 07:43 AM
Do you have a budget in mind? That will dictate the path you take. Weigh up the pro's and con's for each conversion but do not forget the dead money that it will become. We all know we never get back what we put in, but something tuned or modded highly will lose more.

Jay-ZS+
08-09-09, 07:58 AM
Oh yer I know I wont get anything back, No budget as not planning on doing it any time in the instant future just thought that Id make my mind up otherwise I would keep spending on the K-series, I will just save up what ever is needed sort of thing, Besides if I do t-series it will run it till it dies as will get it on track, So any money put in is purly for my own enjoyment :D

stamford
08-09-09, 09:20 AM
I suppose the question is, do you want to keep it MGR powered? That is where your limitations are, cost, age and availability of parts required. Personally if budget were not an issue then I would consider dropping in something newer and easily tuned, similar to what Dave has done. T-series is a bit long in the tooth and requires alot of money throwing at the bottom end to make it handle the power required, whereas a newer configuration is already over-engineered and requires less work and maintenance. Why run something on the limit when it is best keeping it inside the safety margins?

Jay-ZS+
08-09-09, 09:29 AM
well although theres no set budget I couldnt afford a 6grand conversion :( Think I will think about it for a while, going to the bank now to open a student account maybe I should ask the bank manager which he thinks then asking him nicly to fund it I hear the banks will lend to anyone :laugh:

Phate
08-09-09, 09:55 AM
Buy an arse ended 180 for peanuts and swap the engine to it. Done :)

p_b82
08-09-09, 01:43 PM
i did answer this on the other forum as well....

but i will say dont attempt anything unless you have a buget in place, mine is not open ended, but due to complications and unforseen things it has increased over 2K over my original max estimate..... it still needs work on it as well!

Jay-ZS+
08-09-09, 02:29 PM
Yer I can imagine thats why I want to go for something thats been done before to minimise the chance of running in to problems and more expense, Think more than anything I just want to make my mind up that I will loose the K-series, After having said Id keep it its just gonna cost too much for decent gains, Think I will start stripping it and see what the finances allow

talkingcars
08-09-09, 05:14 PM
If you are uping the power of the 120 you will have to upgrade the brakes and the suspension, both the KV6 and the T16 weigh more and need a lot more stopping ability.

The easiest route would be to get a 180 and swap all your bits over, 6k would buy you a stunning 180.

If you still want a bit more power then plan for the T16 conversion.

Jay-ZS+
08-09-09, 05:29 PM
well the first mod i did to mine was the 180 break upgrade and its lowered at the moment so obviously I would need new springs on the front, So at least Im half way there on that, Found all the parts needed bar the engine and exhaust bits,off a previous zs-t as would be easier to store than a donor,

afcbadam
08-09-09, 07:25 PM
upping the power of a 1.8 k series to v6 power would proberly cost double what it would to have a v6 conversion done.

i dont like this engine but ill mention it anyway, what about a 1.8T from a zt??? 160 bhp standard but not really good for any more as its at its limit with standard power unless a lot of internal work is done. IMHO

Taphouse
09-09-09, 06:35 AM
I spent a lot of money tuning my old 160-k, and got it to around 180bhp which is fine in a zr which was a bit lighter, and the result was it had pretty much the same performance zsmarty's zs180.

There are a lot of people who dont know what to do to their car tuning wise, when they havent got the top model. I would say take your bit off your car, and buy a cheap 180 which needs its belt doing, and spend the £700 doing them, and then you'll have your kv6, and all the suspension and brakes you'll need, and i would guess a bit of money left in the pot to play with that.

Unless you have a bottomless bucket of money to drop AVG or a v-tec lump and all the custon bits, and upgraded runnign gear to go with that. I would go with a kv6 and tune that to 200bph.

ViT
15-09-09, 05:27 PM
Buy an arse ended 180 for peanuts and swap the engine to it. Done :)

+1 I'd stick a KV6 in it If I had a MK2 120 that looked as good as yours buddy!

Jay-ZS+
15-09-09, 06:20 PM
Yer anyone know how hard it would be to put a kv6 in, pretty easy im guessing they were ment to fit in there after all, lol between that and a t-series

Phate
15-09-09, 08:20 PM
Can't see it being too diffucult. They come out with relative ease :sly:

Ritchy
15-09-09, 08:32 PM
prob need the ecu ect, but im sure it wouldnt be that hard, get a wrote off 180 n swap all the bits over

Z Scotland
15-09-09, 09:12 PM
Yer anyone know how hard it would be to put a kv6 in, pretty easy im guessing they were ment to fit in there after all, lol between that and a t-series

Different engine mounts for starters.:no: then suspension,brakes etc not to mention the insurance:)
Save your self a lot of trouble and just get the 180.:)

Jay-ZS+
16-09-09, 06:27 AM
Different engine mounts for starters.:no: then suspension,brakes etc not to mention the insurance:)
Save your self a lot of trouble and just get the 180.:)

Got the 180 brakes fitted already, are shocks are the same and its just stiffer springs on the front needed, Think though if im going to have the hassle of an engine conversion then may as well just go for the T as will give more tuning potential further down the line,